Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #16  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Wow.... Yeah, if I look like her, I AM CUTE!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-08-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #17  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I totally see the Leisha thing, but not the ana nicole remark
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #18  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
I totally see the Leisha thing, but not the ana nicole remark
Heh! Me neither! Specially in the boobage area!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #19  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Yes you do look like her!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Yes, it's really hard to get started at a gym or something like that, but you can always begin exercise with DVDs at home. And, in my experience, if you join a YMCA or other community oriented gym, many of the people you'll see there are overweight, and many of the people who don't look overweight--were! If you saw me at the gym, you might think I had no idea what obese is like, but in fact, I do!

Don't let your "ifs" leave you sitting at home. As everyone else has said, life is too short and can end at any time! Get started... things will change...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that you should go ahead and go to the gym if you would like. The Athletic Club where I go and teach classes, has a ladies area, if you are uncomfortable exercising in front of men. There are also classes that are separate from the regular cardio machines/weights areas...so the only people who will see you exercising are the people in the class-not the whole gym. Usually they are so busy doing what the instructor tells them, that they aren't paying attention to the others in the class.

In my classes, I have young 16 year old thin girls...and heavy grandmothers. I have every shape and size in between as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #22  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

One of the things that I learned about the gym and super fit people is that they have the same struggles that overweight people have. Sometimes they don't want to work out, sometimes they struggle with their diet. Just because they look amazing doesn't mean they can't understand where you're at and what you're going through. I've actually met some really great people and really started enjoying going to the gym once I knew I had some friends there. And, yes, beach patrol you are beautiful
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #23  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageivy View Post
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
If I was skinny I could:
Wear a bathing suit
No, if you were skinnier you would feel better wearing a bathing suit but there is NO REASON you shouldn't just march your self to the store and buy one right now! I don't like the water much but we joined a pool ($200 for the summer -- good deal!) that is like 10 mins from us. My two youngest kids (14 and 11) love the water; they really, really like the water if I go in and play w/them. They actually stop fighting! So, had to give in a buy a suit. Tankini w/a longer top and the bottom is skirted to hide the um, terrain of my hips/thighs. Am I self-concious at the pool? Yup, but I don't act it at all (no one can read your mind!) and I don't let it stop me from walking over to the pool (gut sucked in lol) and having fun. If I don't let the pool/water part stop me (really, I'm just not a fan of swimming and pools) then I'm sure the heck not going to let wearing a bathing suit stop me!
Quote:
Wear clothes (yes, sometimes I even feel too fat for clothes)
Yup, I feel this way too sometimes. These are the days when I put on something extra pretty - maybe a new perfume or jewelry - and just act as if I look fab. Yes, I fake it. You'd be surprised how this can affect your outlook -- on everything..
Quote:
Socialize more /
Get more guys attention
Know what gets people's attention? Self-confidence and eye contact (a sense of humor can work wonders too! ). If you project this (even if you are full of self doubt), you will come across to others not as the 'fat' person but as a person they'd like to get to know.
Quote:
Enjoy a meal in public without self consiousness
The older I get the more I find that most people simply don't pay attention to the 'other guy'. Most people aren't wondering why a 'fat' person is eating out, they're too wrapped up in their self-involved-on-the-cell-phone-oblivious-to-others world. I don't think anyone pays that much attention (this is kind of how I feel when you lose wt. and no one says anything. People just don't pay attention). What do you think when you see a 'fat' person eating out?
Quote:
Excersise without critisism
Hey, there is always an alternative to joining a gym. DVDs, treadmills, home gyms, free wts, walking the neighborhood, etc. But again, I don't think most people are looking at the 'fat' person thinking 'gee, why are they even bothering?' If they're paying attention to anyone else at all they're probably thinking 'kudos to you for working out -- good for you!!'. YOU probably give them inspiration!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #24  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

As everyone has said, don't let the "ifs" define your life because they don't define YOU.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

I've never let the "ifs" stop me from anything. I know that everyone around me has their own life that they're living so I assume that they're not too concerned with mine.

It's hard somethimes, though. Here's a for instance: I was recently talked into playing indoor soccer. Now, I've never even seen a soccer game, and I've never met a sports bra that will let me run comfortably. Regardless, I'm playing. And having fun. Yes, I was self-conscious at my serious lack of ability at first. Then I noticed that even our best player makes bad plays and even has entire games that she's not perfect! She just laughs and says, "Next time I'll be a little better." I think that's all any of us can hope to achieve.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #26  
Wastin' Away Again!

I really think that a good deal of this battle is looking at weight loss as a HEALTHY thing, and that "looking good" is just icing on the cake (oh lord, what a pun...) Plus, I've had so many health problems these past 2 years, & not being able to exercise, & feeling like purated crap most of the time... I'm just happy to be OFF the medicine & able to take a 20 minute walk, now! Yes, my hips are wide, but they're shake'n baby! Yes my thighs jiggle, but they are holding me up! Yes, I have "bat wings" & no, I can't fly, but I would if I could!

vintageivy... just remember... losing weight is SO MUCH MORE than how you look, what you wear, etc. Your health is at risk here... DO THIS FOR YOU.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This is why I think that viewing fat as a moral failing and "disgusting" thing, actually works against losing weight. When being "good" or "socially acceptable" is at stake, people are tempted to take drastic measures to do so as quickly as possible (crash diets that don't work), or to isolate themselves (ironically, especially when it comes to being seen "exercising").

When you start seeing yourself as a person who deserves to participate in life, regardless of your current situation and what "some" people might think, it actually increases the odds of successful weight loss (and even when it doesn't, you're at least enjoying and living your life).

I LOVE swimming, and rarely have let my size or others reactions to it stop me. The water was the only place where I actually sometimes could feel stronger than thinner people (I once had a friend and coworker at a pool during a conference express her envy that I could tread water so effortlessly as she struggled to stay afloat). I enjoyed the awe so much, I didn't explain the physics of the matter - fat floats. She couldn't tread water easily because she was a beanpole, without an ounce of spare fat on her. In college, a swim coach remarked in awe that her thin sister couldn't keep up with my swimming routine (I didn't know whether to be flattered or offended by the automatic assumption that this shouldn't be possible).

Still, it's rarely easy. When my husband and I bought bicycles, a couple years ago, I was terrified of being seen in the neighborhood on the bike. I had to talk myself into it (and through it) many times before it became comfortable. Even when neighbors smiled and waved, I waved back and smiled, but was convinced that they were secretly laughing at me, until I finally realized so what. When you worry about what others think, you're spending alot more time thinking about it than they are.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #28  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile VintageIvy, it is all between your two ears, dear

(quote)"Hi everyone,
Have you ever felt that your weight holds you back from doing things to get healthy? It is almost like carrying extra chub makes me feel like I cannot and shouldn't do things. I constantly feel as though I am being judged by others. Excersising is difficult for me because I want to excersise but I don't want people to see me doing it. I keep thinking they are looking at me like a spectacle. (look at the fat person sweat! haha) So in some ways I feel too fat to enjoy an active lifestyle because I don't want people judge me.
All of the ifs in my life are getting to me
If I was skinny I could:
Wear a bathing suit
Wear clothes (yes, sometimes I even feel too fat for clothes)
Socialize more
Get more guys attention
Enjoy a meal in public without self consiousness
Excersise without critisism
....blah blah and the list goes on
How do you guys deal with thses thoughts? They are not healthy. Am I just stressing too much?

It is all between your two ears, vintageIvy, you are driving yourself into an early grave worrying and obsessing about what others think. Does it mean that I am not concerned about what others think? Yes, but I am not going to let it keep me from doing the things that will make my life more interesting or fun.

Once you recognize that you are making yourself feel this way, and not anyone else, you will then begin to do all of those things and more.

You can look for reasons to not do something.....now start looking for reasons to start doing something!

Last edited by pamatga; 04-09-2008 at 04:06 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote