Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

People who get gastric bypass or other weight loss surgery, first off, have way more to lose than you do. They have the surgery, because the health risks associated with their excess weight are WORSE than the health effects that come with the restricted diet...you aren't in that position. In addition, many of them have trouble with hair falling out, and that is even WITH them working with nutritionists to make sure they're meeting all the nutritional needs they can. You, with no nutritional support, wouldn't be in a comparable situation.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #17  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Medifast diet says you can lose 20lbs a month, if you could afford it maybe you can look into that =) Also you should take a prenatal vitamin which is what most gastric bypass patients have to take because they can't eat as much. I also think Fat Smash helps lose weight fast with their healthy eating book, in the first Phase (10 days) I lost 14lbs and others lost between 5-15 and in the first month I've heard a lot of people losing 20. No matter what keep health on your mind, make sure the things you do eat have lots of nutrients and vitamins =)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 5"

At this point, I hope you can take what you will from the replies and remember to pay close attention to the signs your body is giving you.

From there, remember you will find support here. There are lots of dieting stories in this place!

Good luck. I like the suggestion to tone your upper body. That will make all the difference in photos.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #19  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Sorry, but I have to jump in and agree with what others have said here.

A couple of years ago, I was on a Very Low Calorie Diet. I was only eating 700 calories a day, but I was supplementing my diet with a variety of pills and injections from a doctor who had prescribed the diet. Boy, did the weight fly off! I lost 12lbs in the first 5 days (ok, probably a lot of that was water weight, but still... that's a lot to lose from Friday to Wednesday!). About a month later, I noticed that my hair started to fall out. And I noticed that I couldn't lift as much at the gym, or go as long on the elliptical trainer. I felt drained all the time. I was tired and crabby.

Also, after the first month, I noticed that the I started losing at a slower rate. I figured "I'll just eat less!" and that's what I did. I got down to 500 calories/day. When I went over that limit, I ran my finger down my throat and ejected all stomach contents into the toilet. At this point, I noticed what was the worst of all: I was afraid to eat. I was afraid to have a slice of dry, whole wheat toast. I had a crippling fear that I would gain back 40lbs overnight. I cried with worry all the time. It became all I could think about. I weighed myself 9-10 times a day. I OD'd on laxatives. I used ipecac to induce vomiting. I exercised 2-3 hours/day, 6 days/week.

I started to get scared, and lots of my friends were scared for me. They were worried because they never saw me eat anything anymore, and I was dropping weight fast. I didn't look healthy, either. I looked like a cancer patient.

A month more down the line, I had a checkup with my regular doctor, and she commented on my weight loss. She asked how I'd accomplished it in such a short amount of time (40lbs in about 2 months), and when I told her, she wrote me a referral to a nutritionist and a therapist. It turns out that the "doctor" who'd put me on this crazy diet was essentially dealing speed to me. Who knows what the other pills and injections that he said were "vitamins" really were.

Now, it's taken me years to get over this experience. I had/still have a very real fear of food, and of the scale. I started out that experience at 233, and got down to about 190 before everything fell apart. So, picture yourself on your wedding day, falling apart in this same way. Picture yourself on your honeymoon, stuck in the bathroom because you've got intentionally induced diarrhea.

I realize that the plan you've outlined includes more calories than the plan I was on, and we're different people, etc. I'm just thinking that the desperation of your first post sounds strikingly similar to the desperation that I had at the time that I went down this path. And, I'm sorry to be so graphic, but I am just trying to be completely honest with you. The plan that you've outlined sounds dramatic, but it's the attitude behind the plan that sounds even scarier. You seem willing to do anything to take drastic amounts of weight off quickly, and that leads to dangerous situations.

While you may not be interested in your long-term health right now, try to have the foresight to realize that one day your long-term health may be important to you. You may, at some point, want to lose weight in a rational, healthy way that is sustainable. If you do this to yourself now, you may lose weight, but you probably will not be able to keep it off (I gained back 30 of the 40 that I lost). If you do this to yourself now, you will be setting yourself up for a lot of damage later. Not only is it bad for your metabolism, it's bad for your heart and other organs, and it's bad for your self-image.

I hope you'll reconsider your goals and find a balanced plan that will put you on your wedding day with a great smile and a healthier you and a bucket load of self-esteem. I apologize if this sounds pushy or anything, I just felt compelled to share my experience in the hope that it may keep you from making the same mistakes I did. Please do stay around and keep us updated. You'll find that everyone here just really wants you to succeed and wants you to be healthy.

Last edited by aerotigergirl; 04-07-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

happeningf -- Congrats on your wedding! That's an exciting time!

It sounds like you have a plan that you really want to try. You've asked for advice, and received a lot of it. I don't need to repeat that a lot of people think you're being too extreme, but you did ask.

At this point, it sounds like you've heard the advice and are making some adjustments, but it also sounds like you don't want to really focus on the long term right now and have made your decision. Therefore, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by Heather; 04-07-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Closed Thread