Am I falling apart?

• A rhetoric question, really.
    I think I overdid my exercise on the treadmill on Friday (I did lots of incline) and my old shin problem is raising its ugly head again. On Saturday, I walked the dogs, once for 45 minutes before lunch and another 20 minutes in the evening, and I could really feel my shin. Another walk on Sunday (45 minutes). I thought I would skip the treadmill on Sunday and do Pilates instead, but since the weather was nice I decided to rake the lawn (lots of work to be done in the garden). Two hours later, I was done and tired ...... had something to eat and an hour later, my entire body hurt so much that I had to take an Advil.

I always find it incredible how all those muscles (that I didn't know I had) can hurt when they are used after a season on inactivity. Don't know I will do doing tonight - probably more garden work since we expect rain tomorrow - I guess that will mean more Advil tonight - I really worry how I am going to keep up with my exercise plan AND gardening at the same time.
  • Well, maybe you should just keep up with the gardening if you really enjoy it and take a couple days off from working out. Every few weeks I'll take a couple of days off and then when I get back to it my workouts always feel so much better. If you're worried that you won't be able to start exercising again though, just take a few light days, work around the injury, there's nothing wrong with that either.
  • Can you count your gardening as part of your physical activity? In that... on the days you do garden work you do a lighter amount of exercise so that you aren't overdoing things?
  • If you're in pain, then maybe it's best to take a couple of days off from the walking and see if it gets better. If you push yourself, there's always the possibility that you could end up upsetting your old injury even more. Take it easy! In the mean time, is there any other sort of exercise you could do? Do you have access to an indoor pool, perhaps? Something that would keep the pressure off of your shins...