3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   the help of a daily mantra (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/138042-help-daily-mantra.html)

audreymonroe 03-25-2008 07:36 PM

the help of a daily mantra

Hello all. I had a very small victory today, and it was due to my new trend of giving myself a daily mantra, or message, about my goal for a thinner, fitter me. Each morning I plan my menu for the day (I'm a calorie counter) and my exercise, and at the end of my journal I have been writing a different mantra to tell myself in any moment of weakness. I have been posting some mantras on my blog as well.

Today, my mantra is "A moment on the lips = years on the hips!" I know, everyone has heard this one, it is a little cliche, but it is so very true. Anyway, I was running a little late for class today and didn't have time to order my usual spinach salad, so I had to grab something pre-made. My cafeteria has mini bags of carrots, and mini tubs of hummus, so I grabbed those for lunch. When I went to pay for my food, the cashier handed me a bag of pita chips, which I didn't realize just came with the hummus. So now I have a very small bag of parmasean and herb pita chips in my hands, which by themselves are 190 cals!!! I sit down to eat and I open the bag. I have one chip -- DELICIOUS!!! I have 2 more, when I remind myself of my mantra. I repeat it to myself a couple of times, and move th bag away. I went for the chips one more time, but I stopped myself, finished my carrots, packed up the chips into my bag and brought them home. My BF had them for a snack this afternoon! Whew, got through that one! :dizzy:

It is really hard for me to "say no" when something delicious appears right in front of me, but by using my little message to myself, I was able to conquer the urge to taste something delightful for only a moment and regret it later. Those impulsive habits are what got me to this weight, but remembering these little mantras have been helping me change my lifstyle: I don't need to eat it just because it is tasty, I need to eat for the body I want to have! Do any of you have mantras that hep you get through weak times? I have a few more mantras on my blog, if anyone wants to check them out. Have a great day everyone, and I hope you all had a productive and happy day!
:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Lovely 03-25-2008 08:21 PM

What a great victory! You consciously ate, you consciously decided that "No!" those chips were not for you to have today! Wonderful :D :cheer2:

I don't know if I have a specific mantra... but I have caught myself a few times before mindlessly popping something into my mouth, and I think "How badly do I want to lose weight?" and then "So, do you really want to eat this?"

mandalinn82 03-25-2008 08:26 PM

I think, often, people underestimate the power of positive self-talk. I don't necessarily do this in the weight loss arena, but do it in the rest of my life quite often. My personal favorite (the one I try to meditate on at least two or three times a day) is "everything is exactly as it is meant to be at this moment in time"...it really helps me feel calmer about life in general.

Actually, I have used this in a weight-loss sense, but for positive things. On the elliptical, or when strength training, or when I'm cooking a particularly healthy and fabulous meal, I say to myself "I'm so glad I realized I am worth treating well, and love how wonderful this makes me feel". I don't do it with negatives, but I do try to reinforce positive behaviors whenever I can.

kittycat40 03-25-2008 08:56 PM

I read someone on this site's words "my hands, my mouth." It was a wow moment for me. Now, I say that to myself before mindlessly popping food into my own mouth. It has helped tremendously! (of course, not 100%- but I have been in check!!)

I've been wanting to say thanks! for that!!

JimmieLynn 03-26-2008 04:20 AM

That's awesome! I am also one who uses self talk to stay motivated. I have also gotten into the habit of leaving myself various notes and encouraging words in different places in my house, on the fridge, bathroom mirrors, doors, etc. It really seems to help.

Again, keep up the good work. :)

nutrition junkie 03-26-2008 10:47 AM

some of my favorites are:
"I’ve come too far to take orders from a cookie. "
"thin is not my dream...it's my future"
"nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
"Eat to live, but don't live to eat. "
"Think higher of yourself, your too good to put that in your body."
"There is no try, there is only DO."
"When it comes to losing weight, those who can do; those that can't make excuses."
"Fridge pickers wear big knickers."
"Don't eat anything today that you'll regret tomorrow."
"The difference between want and need is self-control."
"You only fail if you stop trying."
"don't lose sight of what you want most for what you want at the moment"

srmb60 03-26-2008 11:02 AM

I don't do this. It's always worked for me to just jump in and do it. Naive but effective.

But just lately I've had a bunch of health type stuff happening. I wake up in the morning wondering how badly I'm going to feel today.

However ... I've seen this thread a few times this morning so far ... hmmm

Susan ... you have lost 40 lbs before. Even you thought you looked goood! You know what to do. People come to you for advice and encouragement. You can do this today.

Ottoette 03-26-2008 11:09 AM

For my kids, my health and my self. - That is the summary of my list of reasons to get healthier.

Sweetcaroline 03-26-2008 10:55 PM

I practice mindfulness, 'staying in the moment'... its hard to do, almost like training your brain not to wonder in the past or worry about the future.. Its learning to bring your attention back to the present. When I use it, I can fight off negative thoughts and feelings that drive me to eat distructively.

jitterfish 03-26-2008 11:09 PM

My personal fav is: there is no such thing as failure, only feedback.

I use it for all things, I use it with my students a lot because I remember as a student my total fear of failing. And it certainly applies to weight loss, any mistake isn't a failure, just a chance to learn.

But now I am so loving Nutrition junkies "I've come too far to take orders from a cookie" I might have to steal that one!

motomom2 03-27-2008 07:50 PM

Nutrition Junkie, hope you don't mind, but I have copied your mini mantras! They are great!

guynna 03-27-2008 08:39 PM

I love "fridge pickers wear big knickers" ! I also sometimes ask myself "if I eat this, how will I feel 5 minutes from now?"

Thanks for sharing all these ideas.
anita

nutrition junkie 03-31-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomom2 (Post 2120584)
Nutrition Junkie, hope you don't mind, but I have copied your mini mantras! They are great!

haha i don't mind at all, that's why i posted them! I'm glad other people are using them becuase i certainly didn't this weekend. I'm feeling lousy today from a combination of not going to the gym in four days, drinking this weekend, and eating my first fried food of 2008. But today i will climb back on the horse and the 1.2 lbs that i seem to have gained will only be here a few days!

LittleMoonRabbit 03-31-2008 03:32 PM

Someone on here (I can't think of them, but I see their posts all the time) has in their signature

"Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard"

I love that saying, and I tell myself that all the time when I feel my motivation dwindling. It's so true.

I also wear a one of those "Livestrong" type bracelets that says "Don't give up... don't EVER give up." and I like to look at it often when I feel like the road to weightloss seems longer and tougher than usual.

KateB 04-01-2008 04:24 PM

"Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard"

When I read this for the first time it was an AH HAH Moment for me. So now if I feel discouraged with the whole diet and exercise thing and think it is too hard I ask myself it life was any easier/better when I weighed 30 pounds more. It helps keep me on track.