Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #1  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Default How do you react when someone comments on your weight loss?

It's a bit silly really: I'm still stumped on how to react when people comment on my weight loss. Now I've been down that road more than once - losing a noticeable amount and then falling off track and gaining all or most of it back before coming even close to goal.

Well, it's that time again - 15lbs down and people start noticing. It feels great, but also kind of awkward - I usually say "Thanks for noticing," but how dorky does that sound? Two days ago, when the topic came up, I also blushed, which was promptly commented on too - argh. . So, on the one hand I like the validation, and on the other hand I don't like it to be an issue. It's not a huge problem or anything, just had me wondering about this ambiguity.

Another problem I've had in the past is that once the compliments start to roll in I tend to get complacent, which of course is a dangerous place to be if you want to stay on plan...

I'm really interested to find out your feelings and responses to weight loss comments!

Last edited by Heffalump; 03-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I say "Yes , thanks for noticing." Sometimes I say "Yes, and I did it on purpose". It is nice if people notice and complement me, but it is totally unimportant whether they comment or not.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #3  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

yes it is a little akward at times; i had one friend even ask another friend "what happened to Tiff?" lol, like i have a disease or something. but mostly i just say "thank you, i'm really trying".

good point about getting complecent, i really need to watch out for that one. i have come so far, but have such a LONG way to go. at first the weight was melting off, and now it has slowed condsiderably. the compliments can be a double edged sword i guess, on one side it can be a great ,motivater, on the other it can make you feel like you deserve a break. must be leary of the latter.

congrats on your weight loss!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

"Yes, thank you, I'm trying to be healthier."

It gives them the "Thanks" and gives me the "Don't get cocky and go back to where you were".
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Someone who hadn't seen me in awhile recently said, "Oh my gosh, you've lost a huge amount of weight!!" I said, "Yes, I did." End of comment.

They then asked, "How much have you lost?" I said, "I'm not sure--something like 40 pounds." End of comment.

They then asked, "How did you do it?" I said, "I reduced my food intake and increased my exercise to 5 or 6 times a week." That ended their interest.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

I usually just smile kind of sheepishly and say thanks. I often try to downplay it. Not always, though. Depends on the person and how they say it.

It's a strange thing because for the most part it's motivating and very nice that people notice, but on the other hand....sometimes they make a REALLY big deal out of it and it makes me a little sad. In these instances they're not like, "this is so great -- you look so healthy!" it's more like, 'Oh my gosh, honey, you're so skinny and beautiful!"

I know they mean well, but I really wish physical appearance wasn't so unbelievably important in our world.

However, losing weight/keeping it off is HARD work and most people realize that.

I guess at the end of the day, there are far wore things than a compliment, so I try to be gracious, say thanks, and take the best out of it.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/207

Height: 5'10"

I just say "thanks for noticing" as well. What I don't like are people who wouldn't give me the time of day before that are all on me now about my weight loss. Why wasn't I worthy before?
Nancy CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I just say thank you and leave it at that. I still feel embarrassed, not sure why. Even when my mother compliments me!!
If they ask how I do it, I say 'diet and exercise', and most people don't want to hear more. I think they expect me to say surgery, since I have lost a lot. It seems a popular assumption to make.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Nancy~ I know the feeling. =/

Last edited by nineteen; 03-17-2008 at 11:51 AM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

My reaction really depends on the person making the comment. I know a lot more men than women. Men will just come out and say "you look great, nice job". They get a smile and a "Thanks, I'm working on it." From women I get "Have you been sick?", or "Did you have surgery?" or some other back-handed comment. They tend to get a much more cautious response that tries to avoid the subject altogether.

I'd really prefer nobody said anything and we all just moved on.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #11  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I smile very broadly and say 'ty, ty, ty'. If they ask what did I do to lose the wt, I get all serious (which I'm not), bring my voice down to a very low, deep, and knowledgeable tone, look them straight in the eye and say 'I followed this very new, quasi-retro diet'. After I see they are enraptured and waiting to hear what the 'magic pill' diet is, I say 'I've learned to eat less and move more'.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

lol at your comment JayEll...
people do get less excited when they realize you did it the old-fashioned way.

i usually just smile and say that, yeah, i've been working hard, or something along those lines. it does make me uncomfortable sometimes though.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #13  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

See, I definitely LIKE when people notice. Obviously, I did this on PURPOSE and I worked HARD at it... I want people to notice and appreciate what I've done.

So... when they notice.. I just say, "Thanks! You can tell? Sometimes it's hard for me to notice myself!" (usually when I'm in the process of losing)
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8

I say thanks. And I use it for motivation when I'm tempted to slack off.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I usually try to downplay it and just say, "thanks. I'm trying." Most of my coworkers know, just because I change clothes at work to go the gym, but I haven't made a big deal out of it.

I saw one of my best friends this weekend & hadn't seen her for about 3 weeks. I got to the restaurant first & when she walked in she just had this stunned look on her face. I thought something was wrong. She walked up and hugged me & said, "Oh my gosh. You lost so much weight! You look great! Not that you didn't look great before, but WOW!" I knew what she meant and wasn't upset because she's always been so supportive.

I don't notice any real change when I look in the mirror---I do with how clothes fit. So, it's nice that someone else can tell.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote