3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   "Reduced Rack" Snob-no-more (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/137640-reduced-rack-snob-no-more.html)

Sweetcaroline 03-20-2008 08:22 PM

"Reduced Rack" Snob-no-more

I used to be 'reduced rack' snob when grocery shopping, especially produce, WELL not anymore... What deals....I filled a big tupperware container with fresh strawberries I got for .41 cents ! 3 summer squash, 3 zucchini in a package for .65 cents... 12 red potatoes in package for .75 cents. I plan on using all of this quickly of course, wouldn't bother otherwise... but what a savings... these days I have to watch every buck...

fiberlover 03-20-2008 08:35 PM

I am always on the lookout for reduced price foods. Especially meat. We just freeze it as soon as we get home from the store. You can save a lot of money that way!

Back on Track 03-20-2008 08:40 PM

Ooops, thought you were talking about the other 'rack'. I saw the title and thought, "Hey, I have one of those too!". LOL

Great deals! I'm afraid where I shop we don't have reduced racks for produce, just meat and bakery.

karmuz 03-20-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back on Track (Post 2109840)
Ooops, thought you were talking about the other 'rack'. I saw the title and thought, "Hey, I have one of those too!". LOL

Great deals! I'm afraid where I shop we don't have reduced racks for produce, just meat and bakery.

LOL that's what i thought when i saw this thread too!!!

one of the things i am most grateful for working in a grocery store is the free "almost not good" produce left in the break room. I can pick stuff up pretty regularly that is on it's way, but not bad yet. if i can use it that day, i take it.

Sweetcaroline 03-20-2008 08:56 PM

:rofl: :rofl: sorry for the misleading title... I do have one of those... it's always the first place I lose from... :dizzy:

karmuz 03-20-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline (Post 2109861)
:rofl: :rofl: sorry for the misleading title... I do have one of those... it's always the first place I lose from... :dizzy:

I would trade with you ANY day! it's the only place I haven't lost ANYTHING from. undergarment shopping is difficult now, if not near impossible!

Back on Track 03-20-2008 09:24 PM

I have only lost 2# so far and these are my first two weeks. Normally I would be pretty upset about that (my first weeks are usually my biggest losses). BUT.... I have lost 5 inches in those two weeks and 3 of those are from the chest...YAH:D. I want to wear cute tops this summer! It's a NSV but I don't know where that section is, can't find it.

JayEll 03-20-2008 09:42 PM

Hey! NSVs are often reported in the Mini-Goals forum... but you can start a thread if you like. :D

Jay

jtammy 03-20-2008 10:02 PM

Back to the produce :) I love to find the great big bags of bananas that have started turning. Usually close to 7 - 8 lbs of bananas for $1.00. I peel them and then freeze them individually. They are fantastic thrown in a smoothie!

OnlyMeantWell 03-20-2008 10:13 PM

Like most everyone else, I totally thought you were talking about the other kind of "rack"!!! :) How funny, made me smile when I saw what you were really referring to!

You must live some place warm...I cannot find produce for that price anywhere! When it gets warmer I am going to go to the farmer's market but until then I'm stuck in the frozen veggie section to get the best prices!

srmb60 03-21-2008 12:22 AM

Now see I thought we'd be talking about the racks in the back corner of clothing stores. $4.99 and under ....

I like them too.

Do you all buy reduced peppers? You can cut them into nice bits and freeze them, then toss a handful into anything you make ... crockpot, casserole.

gailr42 03-21-2008 12:52 AM

Yep, I'm thinking Nordstrom's Rack where they sell high-end clothing cheaper.

I used to buy the bananas and produce and meat when the store sold them for low prices. They don't do that anymore in my town. I don't know why, but maybe they think someone will try to sue them if they get sick from eating day-old produce(you know how we are in California:lol:). My DH thinks the store is afraid all the customers will wait for the old stuff and not spend any money on the high-priced items.

gemini1567 03-21-2008 01:42 AM

I don't find many reduced rack items here, but when I do, I can find some really good deals. Like you said though, you have to think short term usage, otherwise you're just wasting your money.