Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Cardio question???

Do you think you need to do cardio(walking, elliptical, etc) everyday to lose weight, or do you think doing it every other day with weight training on the other days is OKor
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

There are 2 main schools of thought on this. Some trainers say that weight lifting is all you need (or just a few minutes of warm up cardio) and others say that cardio-intensive workouts are most effective.

I do both.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #3  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

When I weight train, I do circuit training, so I can keep my heart rate up like I'm doing a cardio workout. I usually do 30 minutes of warm up cardio, but you can really just do 5-10. On my days off from weight training (I do every muscle group every other day) I try to do 1 hour of cardio. It makes it so I don't get bored. But if you TOTALLY HATE cardio, circuit training will make you lose weight and build that muscle to make you look toned and hottt.
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #4  
Meg

Both cardio and weights are essential parts of a balanced exercise program, especially one that focuses on fat loss.

Most recommendations that I've seen for fat loss are three days of weights and five to six days of cardio per week, with one rest day. You can enhance fat burning when you do your cardio by adding in intervals -- periods of high intensity with recovery back into a moderate intensity zones. There have been a lot of posts here at 3FC lately about HIIT (high intensity interval training) so if you need more info, you could search for them.

Good luck!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/151/hot

Height: 5'7"

I've never seen results or success at maintenance for me with anything less than 30-60 minutes of cardio at least 5 days per week (I'm training for a run now, so I do a lot more than that...). I also do weights 3x per week.
twentysixpoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #6  
... fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysixpoint2 View Post
I've never seen results or success at maintenance for me with anything less than 30-60 minutes of cardio at least 5 days per week (I'm training for a run now, so I do a lot more than that...). I also do weights 3x per week.
In contrast, I went from into the 250's to below 200 without ever stepping into a gym or getting on a treadmill. I didn't lift a weight and all I did was adjust my eating patterns. Averaged about 1.9lbs/week.

It's all about calories in versus calories burned. Finding the perfect balance of how large my calorie deficit needed to be was key.

That being said... I'm now going to the gym everyday and doing two 20 minute sessions on different cardio pieces(back to back... like 20 on elliptical and then a 20 min run) and then 15(trying... to get to 20) on the stair stepper. I'm tracking my calories religiously and the pound loss rate has slllloooowweed to nearly a stand still. I know with time, my efforts will pay off, though.
ACivE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I've read that it depends on your age and having just turned the big "x" I'd have to agree. Your metabolism slows down in your late 30s and 40s so most "experts" say to do at least 45-60 min of cardio if you are older (also also if you are in weight loss mode), and I'm finding that "quick" weight training routines added in (only takes 20 min to do basic weights) are efficient to add some muscle/toning. I've done some intervals where you do for example - jump rope and alternate situps, pushups, lunges, etc. I think top athletes have learned that the best way to burn fat is interval training, so at least 2x per week you can do it - on machines - walking/spurts of jogging, whatever you enjoy. You can get a heart rate monitor if you want to get more obsessive so you make sure while you are doing cardio at least you are in your target range.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

As a woman, weight training is very important to keep your bones strong - and I have been involved in weight training since 1982. It doesn't take a lot, four basic upper body & four basic lower body weight bearing exercises, 8-12 reps of each, & you're doing your body a huge favor.

Cardio training is good for your heart & lungs. Both exercises are needed for all-over endurance & strength.

My regular routine is 30 minutes of cardio & 20 minutes of weight training 3x week/every other day. On the days I don't do weights, I do 45 minutes of cardio. Interval training has quickly become the "exercise of choice" amongst the exercise gurus. It is a quick/easy way to get healthy & lose weight.

Believe me... having not been able to exercise for so long... I am SOOOO excited to get back into my routine! My body is diet-resistant. I lose weight much easier/better/faster with exercise & diet than by diet alone.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I find that if I skip a day it's way too easy to skip a second day, then a third and next thing you know you're not doing it any more. I say do it every day, you really do feel better and sleep better.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #10  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I'm currently doing intervals on the TM 3x/wk, a dance cardio 1x/wk (gets my HR up but not nearly as much as any type of 'machine' cardio does); wts w/stability ball incorporated 2x/wk; 45 min yoga dvd 2x/wk; 20-35 min pilates 1-2x/wk; and a 30 min power yoga 1x/wk. Sounds like alot but because I do intervals I'm off the TM in 30 min and it all averages out to about 1 hr/6 days a wk. I really like what each of these types of exercises offers me -- heart fitness, muscle and bone fitness, flexibility, core strength, working all muscle groups. I also calorie count and in 4 wks have lost 6 lbs. I like mixing it all up and I rarely get bored.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote