3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   The blues..and what to do? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/137455-blues-what-do.html)

OnlyMeantWell 03-18-2008 09:36 PM

The blues..and what to do?

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure most of us here do, I eat when I get depressed or upset. Has anyone found any good outlets for depression that don't consist of eating or exercising? I do like to exercise when I'm feeling in one of my slumps, but sometimes it gets me into even more of a slump because I see all the in-shape people at the gym..which makes me feel worse about myself and defeated.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would be so happy to hear them.

Thanks much!

-Liz.

aprilcp12344 03-18-2008 09:41 PM

I clean... Alot. Put the music on loud and dance around while doing it. And sing at the top of your lungs. It's really stress relieving. I use to eat when I got all down in the dumps and I realized it gets you nowhere. Good luck!

Sweetcaroline 03-18-2008 09:48 PM

Hi,
If you can, try to journal... in a book at home, maybe a blog here, write stuff and rip it up... whatever you can manage... sometimes you just get writing and thoughts clear up or you get creative... The other thing I do is get out of my house... on deck, bookstore, bench at the mall.... changes in your environment are helpful if you can manage to do it... I know depression very well... and this is a tough time of year... Just so you know there is a forum on Dieting/Depression... they may have more ideas... Good luck...

Lekhika 03-18-2008 09:53 PM

Sometimes a good stretching really helps me...

Or a cup of tea and a mindless magazine...

Journaling works too!

OnlyMeantWell 03-18-2008 09:56 PM

Thanks guys :) Really good suggestions!

A change of scenery is a good idea..and Lord knows my apartment could use some nice cleaning, and journaling is excellent too!

CountingDown 03-18-2008 10:02 PM

• Prayer
  • Good book
  • Yoga (ok, it COULD count as exercise)
  • Bubble bath
  • Organize my photos
  • Call or write a friend
  • Organize my jewelry (or, accessories, or clothes, or pantry, etc.)
  • Volunteer
  • Walk the dog
  • Bake - and then deliver to a neighbor
  • Call a friend

Erinyes74 03-18-2008 10:46 PM

Get a Nintendo Wii and play it with your hubby or a friend. You'll be laughing in no time!

OnlyMeantWell 03-18-2008 11:11 PM

Good suggestions CountingDown, thanks a ton! I think I might just take up baking and deliver food every Friday to my calculus class. I love to cook and bake, not necessarily the eating, but I always end up eating it if it just sits around!

Erinyes, my boyfriend has a nintendo wii, I should definitely go to his house and box! We always have tons of fun when we do that!

:) Thanks guys

horsey 03-19-2008 12:52 PM

I tend to get depressive especially in the winter. I'm learning to have a set of "tricks" to deal with it. Because once you start down the road of depressive thinking you can either go up or down, and going down isn't a good thing. I read in some books though that you first have to address your emotional eating problems before losing weight. Think about what triggers you, low self esteem, relationship issues, whatever and if you have to go to counseling to work on your issues. I think a lot of weight gain is from emotional eating, personally I went through some tough times, and I ate when I was stressed or down, for some reason especially carbs and stuff that isn't good for us makes us feel good for awhile. Like getting a little high from the sadness, for me it was pigging out on fast food. I'd suggest some reading, books on stress management (learning about relaxation, breathing, etc), depression (the health types like Mood Cure that don't just suggest drugs but diet/exercise), and if you are "open" learn some yoga and meditation. When I get in those moods these days - I'm able to kick them off quicker as I'm eating clean and am exercising - you'll find consistent exercise really helps. As you lose weight you'll feel better about yourself as well. If you can't stand the gym and it's a "trigger" don't go. I felt that way 15-20 lbs ago and I sort of still feel that way. I have all sorts of ways to exercise at home - a mini exercise bike, a bouncer, dvds, a set of dumbbells. Unless you are training to compete, etc. working out at home is fine for now. I think also with depression walking OUTSIDE is helpful, getting fresh air rather then being in a gym with skinny chicks is refreshing, you can learn to mix meditative walking/mindfulness with speeding it up for cardio. Nature is awesome for helping with moods. Fresh air, beauty, peace and quiet. Your life starts now, you are young, in college, these are the best years of your life - don't spend them moping around, comparing yourself to others, life is too SHORT to not like yourself.

mandalinn82 03-19-2008 12:55 PM

I LOVE to bake and deliver the goods to others. Not only do you get the calming effect of baking (my biggest stress buster), but you get to make someone else smile when you deliver the goods.

horsey 03-19-2008 02:28 PM

The preacher Joel Osteen says the best way to stop feeling sorry for yourself is to help others, volunteer, go to a nursing home, whatever... good suggestion, I need to start volunteering as a way to help with the poor me modes I get into.

JayEll 03-19-2008 02:40 PM

Hey horsey, yeah, you and me both--in our abundant spare time... ;)

Jay

DaisyNicole 03-19-2008 08:42 PM

I've started crafting a lot recently... over the past couple years i found a website called http://www.swap-bot.com which hosts swaps for people all over the world usually by mail for all sorts of crafts and such. This has become such an awesome hobby for me. It keeps me busy and out of "trouble" (or... the 'fridge)

i also love to play games on http://www.pogo.com