Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Medicinal Aggravation

Now that I am off the Coumadin, I can say with 100% certainty that the medicine WAS INDEED hampering my weight loss efforts, & in fact very well may have contributed to my weight gain.

I've read so much about the effects of medication on weight, and I've heard doctors preach it like it was a bad religion - but the fact of the matter is that DIFFERENT MEDICINES REACT DIFFERENTLY ON DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I read an article in TIME magazine regarding this confounded experience, especially dealing with depression meds, but there are many meds that can cause a person to gain or lose weight. It's not the medicine itself, but how a particular medicine can effect you.

And since I was on Coumadin for a little over 7 months, I can say without a doubt that it did interfere with my efforts to lose weight. (Altho I am not sure if it had anything to do with my hunger level, I know it made me too tired to exercise!) My doctor reassured me that the medicine didn't make ANY of his patients "tired" or extremely fatigued, but everyone I talked to who had been on the medicine said the same thing: "I was just so tired all the time." Yup - that was me. Well, I've been off the medicine for a week now, & guess what? MY ENERGY LEVEL HAS INCREASED. I didn't even NAP this past weekend!

And other than my lower back pain & occasional shoulder pain, I should be OK to exercise.... SOOOOO.... starting this week.... I'm gonna get back on track with my walking/strength training. YAY!

So here's to my good health!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Yay Beach Patrol!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that you have your energy back & that you're getting back to exercise!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good to know. When a dr. says "None of my patients have reported this," it usually means "I haven't asked any of them." And a lot of people won't bother to say anything, and if they do, the dr. doesn't necessarily make a note of it.

You GO girl! Congratulations!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Doctors. Grrrrr. They may have the medical degrees and all. But no one, no one knows their own bodies as well as themselves.

So glad to hear that your energy has returned. What a blessing!!! I am genuinely THRILLED beyond belief for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

This once again reminds me that Drs do not know everything nor do they have all the answers. Just because 'none of his other patients' complained of this doesn't mean that they didn't have these problems. Did he bother to ask them? I'd guess no. Didja ever notice that unless you ask a Dr. the exact, specific question they don't bother to offer any information?

NO ONE knows your body better than you and NO ONE cares about how you feel more than you do. It sucks that it has come to people having to be their own doctor so much of the time, but I've found it to be true way more often than not.

BP --- CONGRATS on getting past this obstacle and good luck with renewed plans. Two thumbs up for ya!!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-17-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Phew, somehow when I saw this thread's title, at first I thought you had health problems again!

The renewed energy level must be such a relief.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Great to hear that you are feeling better!!!!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #8  
Mel

I'm delighted for you that you can get back to exercising and feeling better again

One of the things that I like best about my doctor is that she honestly answers "I don't know- no one has ever asked me that." She has called me back numerous time in the evening with an answer. How great is that?!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote