Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Habits You've Learned & Will Likely Never Lose

All of this dieting, all of this weight loss, all of these "lifestyle changes", and we're bound to take something with us. Some of us might gain the weight back, some of us might find hard times come our way and we'll go off track; but what have you learned from weight loss that you'll take with you no matter what???

Here's my list:

1. I always buy whole wheat items now. Usually light whole wheat wraps, but even when it's bread; it's whole wheat. I don't buy pasta much, but when I do; it's whole wheat.

2. I'll never buy something in the grocery store without looking at the label first. Most of my regular items I know what the label says, but anything new or when I'm just browsing...I'll always read the label. That includes candy bars if I'm in a candy mood. It usually deters me from buying 3 and 4 King Size Reese's like I use to.

3. I'll never drink a regular, full flavored (and loaded with sugar) soda again. I know find myself going for juices, diet sodas, and *gasp* water! I use to hate water (and I still do when it's plain and tasteless), but I don't mind it so much anymore.

4. I'll never skip breakfast again. Even if it only means I'm eating a quick grab and go breakfast item, it's better than nothing.

5. I don't keep lots of sweets and tempting items in my home. If it's in my home, I'm more likely to eat it than if it's not. I KNOW I can't eat it if it's in my house. Knowing the way I am nowadays, I'd probably be fine even if they were here since I've learned I have good self control. But I just don't want the temptation.

So, what about y'all? Even if you stop dieting, what are habits you've created/learned that you'll always take with you?
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

That's great!

I love the whole wheat habit.
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

1. Asking to bring something to food-based social events. People like that I cook, I like that I can eat something healthy.
2. Cooking dinner most, if not all, nights. I just can't see ever giving it up. It's too easy and fun for me.
3. Drinking full sugar soda...it tastes like pancake syrup to me now.
4. Eating tons of produce. I really NEVER knew how much I liked fruit and veggies, and crave them now.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #4  

Ooh, good idea!

Habits I don't think I'll ever let go of....

-Packing a lunch. This is both for the nutrition and for the budget. I'm so reluctant to go out to eat at work, it seems counter-productive -- I came here to earn money, not spend it! That and there's very little that's not swimming in oil near my office...

-Avoiding foods with the words "cream," "fried," "breaded," "battered," etc on restaurant menus when I do go out, looking for foods with "grilled" and "steamed"...

-Reading labels on every food I purchase, before I purchase. Being informed is key!

-Being aware of how I feel, how certain foods make me feel, my hunger/satiety comfort level... Just generally being more in tune with the signals my body sends me, and taking care of it better.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

1. reading labels, definitely
2. choosing diet over regular soda (unless i really want a soda and all that i can find is regular, but that's a very rare thing)
3. reminding myself it's better to waste a little food then to eat more than i need
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanmoomercows View Post
3. I'll never drink a regular, full flavored (and loaded with sugar) soda again. I know find myself going for juices, diet sodas, and *gasp* water! I use to hate water (and I still do when it's plain and tasteless), but I don't mind it so much anymore.

4. I'll never skip breakfast again. Even if it only means I'm eating a quick grab and go breakfast item, it's better than nothing.

I second those. I literally CANNOT go without breakfast ever again! I can't believe I used to go until noon on an empty tank! And I will never drink regular soda again either.

Exercise-wise, I will always take the stairs when I can, park in the farthest parking spot from the store, and use the handbaskets in the grocery store instead of shopping carts (that way I buy only what I can carry!).
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think eating breakfast is a habit that I have permanently established.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #8  
Bikini Season :)

1.) i will never again leave the house hungry
2.) i will never again eat in a manner that makes me feel like i need to hide my food or my eating habits. if im hiding it from my loved ones, its not healthy and i dont need it.
3.) i will never again shovel food into my mouth without waiting to see if im full a quarter or halfway through the meal. i *do not* need to clean my plate.
4.) i will never again go all day, or week, or even month(!) without drinking plain old water!
5.) i will never again be afraid to weigh myself. ignorance is not bliss and its only hiding the inevitable truth. if i weigh faithfully, i can stop myself from spinning out of control.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #9  
... fabulous!

Most of mine have to do with dining out as going out was(and still is) a bit part of my lifestyle.

#1. No cheese, please. I find that I don't like cheese enough to warrant the calories. I really never eat cheese now. Restaurants put cheese on EVERYTHING! Soups, salads, main dishes, meats, etc.

#2. No pasta or potatoes. My main meals will always be a protein and lots of veggies. Just like cheese, I don't like pasta or potatoes enough to consume the calories. Sweet potatoes are the exception to this but NO sugar or butter on them.

#3. No fruity alcoholic drinks. I have gone on many vacations where I've literally sat by the pool with a pina colada in my hand 24/7. Horrible. I've replaced it those with a gin & diet tonic or a pimms & diet sprite. I've found they taste better and are way lower in calories.

#4. No real eggs. Egg beaters are an amazing food.

#5. I will weigh myself frequently. Things can't get out of control if you're checking on yourself frequently.

#6. I won't be afraid to go to the gym. Recently a gym employee(a really hot young guy at that) said to me, "You're really dedicated. There aren't that many people who come in every day as early as you do." and I replied, "I'm trying." and he said, "It shows. Keep up the good work."... I literally wanted to hug the guy and cry.

#7. Skip the sweets after dinner and opt for some great tea.
ACivE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/151/hot

1.) Breakfast. I can't believe how I ignored it for so long. It is the ultimate answer for me.

2.) Not giving myself food issues. I will never write off entire food groups, types, anything. Heavy restriction leads me to binge eventually, be it in a week, or a year, and it's not worth it.

3.) Portion control. I am a naturally healthy eater and always have been, I just ate too much of everything. Now, I don't let myself sit and eat an entire bag of anything, be it lettuce, carrots, whatever. No more 6 sugar-free Jellos at once, either. I eventually get tired of whatever I'm overeating, but not tired of the overeating, and move on to something dangerous.
twentysixpoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

1. Portion control. While I don't measure everything I eat, and never will, I periodically spend "Check up" days or weeks, where I will check everything, to make sure that my perception of portion control doesn't get screwy.

2. Countign calories in recipes. Instead of guessing, I measure out my ingredients so that I can have a real number for my meal.

3. Leaving a bowl of fruit on the counter. If it's there, I want it and I eat it.

4. Having a grocery list and staying away from impulsesin the aisles.

5. Tracking my calories. Even if I don't do it every day during maintenance, keeping myself accountable.

6. Snacks! I was always pretty good about meals.. but making sure I never let myself get too hungry is key.

7. The spirit of adventure. Trying new foods and activities is becoming part of my life, and I feel so empowered by the things I'm doing. I'm not just changing my body, I'm changing who I am. From couch potato chip eating to lean protein and veggie loving athlete.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #12  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

1. Veggies. I used to say that I only liked them smothered in salad dressing... but I have recently discovered that there are many that I actually LOVE sauteed in garlic, or grilled with lemon juice, etc. Now I can't imagine going a day without eating them.

2. Portion control. Even at resturants - Just because it is on my plate, does not mean I have to eat it.

3. Not drinking so much booze. I know now, that just because I have one drink, does not mean I have to have ten more! Some weekends, I don't even drink at all!!

4. Cooking dinner/Trying new recipes. I used to hardly ever cook dinner. It was hard, I was working full time and then taking classes in the evenings. Now that I am done with school, I am actually HAPPY that I get to cook dinner and I can not imagine going back to fast grabbing, convenient foods.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #13  

Chewing slowly for me. No shoveling food into my gullet!! Haha. And I get to enjoy it more that way, as well.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Eating frequently and enough calories. It is not necessary or wise to starve myself.

Exercise especially weight lifting is definitely the answer to staying and getting lean for life.

Healthy foods tastes much better than junk any day.
I rather have a homemade fruit smoothie than a soda, full sugar or diet.
I rather have sweet potato fries than french fries,
I rather have a bison tenderloin than prime rib.
I rather have a whole wheat tortilla wrap than anything made with enriched bread. The list goes on

Water is my friend not my enemy.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/210/207

Height: 5'10"

For me it's chewing slowly and keeping junk out of the house.
Nancy CA is offline   Reply With Quote