New to this.My dream,that I wish comes true.

• I'm majorly new on here.I'm 21 years old and I weigh 165lbs.My goal weight is 115lbs.I have no confidence that I can do this all by myself,yeah I know how pathedic.But,during this past summer my best friend from WV college came home to PA,her and I went to the park pretty much everyday to jog and play tennis I lost so much weight.Then,it all went down hill when she went back to college.I started eating unhealthy and not going to the park or anything.I want to be able to lose weight all by myself,but suggestions from all you lovely people.When I look in the mirror or I look at pictures I'm like "ehhh,how horrible I look."So,I'm hoping I can actually do this,and not slack off.I got in spurts where I would work out for a day and be like pshhh no more for me.Then like 3 weeks later do that same routine over and over again,I'm not sure if I spelt routine right but you get the drift.But please,just tell me your honest opinion about this blog or whatever this is.Thankyou so very much everybody!
  • Hiya &

There's no shame in needing a good support group to help keep us going or to vent to or to celebrate with. That's why 3FC exists We're all in it for the long-haul. Becoming healthier one step at a time.

If I may make a suggestion. Are you counting calories or keeping track of what you eat? You may want to start with this simple step by simply writing down every little thing that goes into your mouth. Even if just to get an idea of what's going on food-wise.

Tackle one new good habit at a time, and there's no need to try to dive head first into exercising vigorously. It's better to build up slowly, but to keep a routine. To keep going! Once you have the habit of exercising regularly, then you can build up the intensity. You'll be much more likely to stick with it.

One foot in front of the other. That's how we get anywhere. You can do this! Make a commitment to one small thing this week and focus on getting that down.

Best of success!!!
  • I'm also a big fan of the "baby steps" approach! I was overwhelmed when I first started!

I'm a calorie counter. It can be some trial and error to figure out how much to eat and lose -- and you don't have to starve yourself either!

I would also encourage you to think about weight or strength training -- 115 sounds like a low weight for your height, but you could possibly achieve the look you want at a higher weight and a really toned look!

Basically, many of us are trying to learn new habits to keep for a lifetime, rather than dieting to lose weight, then going back to all the bad habits and gaining the weight back again! It takes time to find what works for you, but it's worth it!
  • Faerie has made some good suggestions. Maybe start by journaling what you eat in a day, just to become more mindful. See what's what. Don't judge it, just write it down.

Also, about the exercise--physical activity may be a better way to think of it, since "exercise" is a loaded word for some people. Just look to increase your physical activity daily. It could be--taking a brisk walk. Getting a new workout video (you can sometimes find them to check out at the library). Just little things that you can do every day.

It sounds to me like you try to do too much at once, and then burn out. Take a more moderate approach--smaller steps--smaller changes that you can keep on with.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Jay
  • I have had the same problem over the years where I start doing good and then quit after a bit usually discouraged. My biggest problem is comfort eating. I LOVE my snacks. And through the years I went from being 125 lbs to 173 (UGH!). I hate that I have let this happen to myself and when the reality hit me that I am overweight I started exercising and eating better. I have been keeping my exercise routine up for 6 weeks now which is the first time in my life I have stuck it out that long. I won't tell you that I am eating perfectly (remember I love to snack) but I am making healthier choices and combined with exercising I am seeing a change in my body which is giving me encouragement to continue. I hope that you find the support here helpful to keep you motivated. I only joined this website this week but have already found it invaluable to my weight loss journey. I was feeling so alone in my journey but this forum allows you to share your ups and downs.

You can do this and we are here doing it right along with you.
  • thankyou for the support and thankyou for the tips.no i never counted calories or wrote down what i ate,but i will now.thankyou a ton!!
  • Aside from the great advice given, it also strikes me that you would do very well with a work-out partner. Maybe you could enlist a neighbor or friend to join you on walks, bicycling, or other outings?
  • You've got some really great advice here. Just know that you can always come to these boards whenever you need help. They come in handy a lot of times. Also, I'm going to college currently in WV too. Small world