3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Munching?!?!?!?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/136759-munching.html)

Mandy21 03-11-2008 02:42 PM

Munching?!?!?!?!

Hey guys,

Just looking for some suggestions as to what to do to keep yourself pre-occupied while you are sitting around at home with nothing to do and bored out of your mind instead of munching?!?!?! this is what I do when I go home from work!! All day long I can be O.K. with my eating until I get home and munch and munch and munch!! HELP!!

bethbeth 03-11-2008 02:52 PM

Try making a plan of what you are going to eat for the rest of the night before you get home from work. Make a list that includes some good snacks.
When you're done with your snacks, chew some gum, go for a walk, do housework, or start a new hobby like cross-stitching, reading, or scrapbooking! Personally I think lack of planning ahead and boredom are my worst enemies for eating badly.
Beth

Lovely 03-11-2008 02:54 PM

If you're actually hungry, you might want to have a planned snack (one that you sit down and enjoy) for the evening before dinner time.

If you're bored, time to step away from the kitchen and busy yourself/relax with a hobby. Do you read? Have a favorite show? Have a favorite website? If you know you're not hungry, then plan an activity instead.

Mayson 03-11-2008 02:54 PM

do some housework, it keeps your mind off snacking and burns calories. Today I had a major urge to snack so I ate green beans. Good for you, filled me and the crunch of them satisfied me.

Forever42 03-11-2008 03:19 PM

This has been a big problem of mine; I get home an hour before my husband, so I start dinner, but I'm hungry during that hour. Last year what I kept doing was to pour out a bowl of nuts and have a glass of red wine, but that's 300+ extra calories I can't have in my diet.

Now what I do is I have 3 main meals and 3 smaller meals in the day, and I make sure that I have one of my smaller meals either right before I leave work, or right when I get home, along with a bottle of San Pellegrino. I get the water at Costco, so it's a little cheaper, but a case of San Pellegrino is still cheaper than a bottle of wine, and zero calories to boot! So when I get home I'll have a half cup of Fage 0% yogurt, or two Frigo LF cheese sticks, and a bottle of San Pellegrino with a lime in a wine glass.

It helps both the psychological and the physical munchy feeling for me.

Edit: I know the sparkly water sounds frou-frou, but it hits a psychological need for something interesting to sip on when I get home. I know it sounds weird, but hey, whatever helps!

Glory87 03-11-2008 03:22 PM

In my opinion, the main thing to focus on is - why are your evenings so boring, your free evenings should be something you look forward to, not just exist through! Find some hobbies! Join a bookclub! Have more social things to do! Take a cooking class! Get a part time job! Knit! Call your mom! Volunteer for a cause you love.

jellydisney 03-11-2008 06:16 PM

Read a good book! It's very hard to eat and read at the same time.