Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/167.5/135

Height: 5'2

Default 11 pounds dropped - hooray! Also looking for advice on low calorie frozen food?

Slowly I'm getting there.
After a week of no loss - and I was on here naively calling it a "plateau" and was corrected (hee hee) - I've lost another 1.5 lbs.

Last night, waiting to fall asleep, I created a mini-goal. 150 by my son's first bday - May 22nd. Not sure if that's possible but I calculated a 1lb. a week loss.
Does that sound accurate to you?
Or should I factor in a possible plateau?

I've been eating the weight watchers and lean cuisine dinners cause they are so low in points. WW tastes better than Lean, I think.

Any advice from people who use these? Favorite dishes? WW over Lean Cuisine? Other fast meals that can be microwaved that I can stock up on?
Thanks so much!

Vera
veracitarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on the loss!

I don't eat a lot of frozen meals mainly b/c I cook a lot and find that my food satisfies me more than the frozen ones. But from time to time I'll have some frozen meals.

I personally like Lean Cuisine better, they seem to have more taste. I love the paninis. I do love the desserts from WW, the NY style cheesecake is awesome, even if it's small. It does hit the nail on the head when you have a cheesecake craving.

Have you tried Healthy Choice? I haven't had them in a long time, but they also have some good ones. There are a lot of frozen vegetables with low fat sauces, like Green Giant. Those could be a nice meal too. Boca or Morning Star veggie/soy burgers. Get some low cal wheat buns. Pop the burgers in the microwave, top with your favorite veggies and they're a great alternative too.

Good luck!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

My favorite meal is a half bag of frozen veg mix and frozen shrimp. I count out 20 shrimp and use half the bag of veggies (about 2 cups) I add it to a skillet and sprinkle with garlic powder and add a little water. I cook it till its done to my taste. Then I spray it with a spray of I cant believe its not butter spray. It totals 110 calories average and really fills me up.
I change the veggie mix around. I also will use a grilled chicken breast but that bumps up the calories some.
I find that cooking my own meals are more satifying.Plus i dont like the sodium in prepared meals.
good luck
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

I typically HATE frozen dinners - but in a pinch I will eat the Kashi or Amy Brand.

Amy’s Cheese & Pesto Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust 360 cal. per serving

Kashi Black Bean Mango 340 cal. per serving

Kashi Pesto Pasta Primavera 290 cal. per serving
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5ft 4in

I prefer Lean Cuisine but I eat them both. I also eat Progresso soup and other low cal soups. I can have a creaming chicken dumpling with a few crackers and it is around 400 cal. (that is for the whole can - and it has veggies in it and is very filling)
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #6  

way to go on the weight loss, you're off to a great start!
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 312/307/142

Height: 5'6

Great job on the 11 pounds. I've lost 11, too!

The South Beach prepackaged meals are usually pretty good. Kashi is something good to try like the previous person said. Have you tried those spa brand meals? I think it's either Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice. I think those are a lot better than the old ones.

If you like to cook but just don't have a lot of time, here's an idea for you. I have a "cooking day" every week. I'll make three or four full meals on Sunday and then I'll plate individual meals on paper plates. Then I use my vacuum sealer to seal the whole meal up airtight. Pop those in the freezer and voila, you have your own frozen dinners ready to go.
kcmolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Congrats on those 11 lbs! You've worked for them!

I like the Lean Cuisine meals, but I really like the Smart Ones frozen deserts! (Yummy! )

Someone else mentioned those Progresso soups. I really love soup on a cold day, so I also recommend them. BUT! Be careful, because, if you eat the whole can (like I do for a meal) they're really like 2 points and NOT zero as they advertise!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #9  
Token Vulcan

I buy all 3 depending on what's on sale. Overall, for me the LCs taste better and I tend to find some of the HCs kinda bland. I think the trick is to experiment and see which you like best from any or all. For instance, I like the LC French Bread Pepperoni Pizzas but I find the HC equivalents soggy and messy. I do like some of the LC paninis and I like the Smoked Chicken HC panini. So I don't stick to just one brand but, after over a year of buying them, I have narrowed down to certain meals. I used to eat the Lean Pockets, too, but I think their taste or quality kinda changed because I ended up not liking them so much anymore. I also sometimes eat the Progesso Soups...had one tonight, actually.
Oh, I've also tried Green Giant's Simply Steam boxed frozen veggies, specifically the corn. They're in baggies that you microwave.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 02-25-2008 at 09:02 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I like Lean Cuisine but Kashi too. The key to frozen meals for me is adding a "fresh" side like a salad with veggies, an apple, etc. Just makes me feel healthier if I know my entire meal didn't come out of a carton. If you look for frozen meals, you can find those that are about 300 calories or so. For a time I was grabbing some lean cuisine turkey/green beans and they are only 150 calories, I'd have to eat two to get enough calories. Or supplement them with a side.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Favorites LCs:

Chicken primavera
Roasted chicken w/ lemon pepper fettuccini
Baked chicken w/cornbread stuffing
The NEW lemon pepper fish
Garlic beef & broccoli
Roasted garlic chicken
Steak, cheddar and mushroom panini
Gourmet mushroom brick oven style pizza
Shrimp w/angel hair pasta

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #12  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm in Canada so unfortunately I don't get as many of these convenient choices as you folks down south get. I do love a Lean Cuisine/WW Smart Ones or Michelina's Advantage. I always have a tossed salad with low-cal dressing and a whole grain dinner roll with it to round out the meal. I eat a pretty low sodium plan anyhow so I'm not too concerned about that, but I work two jobs and so it's nice to have a healthy, hot dinner without having to cook. It takes some planning even for that, but it's easy and like I said I can always fit in a few minutes to nuke a meal in between jobs.

I also do what kcmolisa said and designate a day every few weeks to cook up things like Veggie Chili, Spagetti Sauce w/ meatballs, Soup and so on. I put individual portions into containers for me and also larger portions for the rest of the family so that on nights that I work they have something to eat that's healthy. I also make brown rice in batches of 3-4 servings and then put them in the fridge as this is one thing I really don't enjoy making and sometimes I still screw it up. I wish that Minute Rice would bring their semi-instant Brown rice to Canada...I look for it every time I shop!

I have to say that when I was last down visiting my mom in MO I tried the Lean Cuisine Chicken Enchilada Suiza with Mexican-Style Rice and it was by far the best LC I've had to date. We can't get it up here...but I sure enjoyed it when I was down there!

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8

I usually eat:

1) Kashi
2) WW Smart Ones
3) Lean Cuisine

Just mind the sodium, etc. on the labels to make the better choices.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I'm a lean cuisiner generally but I'm always up for trying anything else.

Also, i think your goal sounds very reasonable!! Good luck!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

That's a great loss! Congrats!

I vote for Boca Burgers (any kind) on a whole grain, low cal, low carb wrap (I get these from Trader Joe's - only 50 calories).
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote