Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Pretty much like everyone else here has posted mine (about 36 years worth since I was put on my first diet at age 5) all end with gaining it all plus some extra faster than it came off.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I am loving these stories. Am I the only person in the world who has never been on one of these crazy crash diets???
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #18  
Made of Starstuff

Baffled - This is actually my very first diet, ever. Never tried anything else. Oh, I had intentions of dieting before, but those intentions never made it past the first meal.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

I broke down and stopped following that plan, and I gained back not only the 15 pounds, but another 8 to keep them company.
LOL.

Ditto to all the stories here. I had a beach party a couple of years ago that I crash dieted for. I lost about 5 lbs in 2-3 weeks. I looked great at the party. Then I ate everything in sight for about 3 months afterwards, and gained 10 lbs.

Sooooo not worth it.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #20  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh, boy, do I have those stories. Like the time in Jr. High when I lost 75 pounds in five months by eating nothing but Figurines and Weight Watchers frozen pizzas and exercising at least 1 1/2 hours a day. I kept a lot of that weight off for years by taking fist fulls of "diet fiber" pills and drinking Diet Coke. Then I went through a period where all I did was chew gum and smoke cigarettes. Then I got sick of beating myself up over my weight, and in about five or six years, gained 120 pounds.

Dude, quick weight loss happens, but there is a big price to pay. I have to work twice as hard as most dieter's, because over all those years of starvation and deprivation, my body has developed a lower starvation point. That is, it takes a far smaller calorie deficit for my body to panic and shut down. So think twice before you try that fad crap!
hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
Two or three years ago I got dysentery and lost a little over 15 pounds in about a week and a half. Neither the bucket, the toilet, or I recommend it though.

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out, I couldn't eat anything solid for a week. I dropped weight so fast! LOL.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quick weight loss approach: chain saw.

Works like a charm -- how much you want to lose determines where you make the cut!

Though, I suspect such an approach comes with certain, nasty side effects!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have never been on a "crazy" diet, but I used to go on a 1000 calorie balanced diet and loose about two pounds a week. I was the perfect dieter - NEVER strayed from the plan.

I can only speak for myself, but I believe that the reason I gained the weight back so fast is that I went right back to my old eating habits. It is not that I lost too fast; I just didn't learn new habits while dieting. In retrospect, I think that if I had had the slightest clue about maintenance, I might not have gained so quickly. There seems to be much more emphasis on maintenance here and in some of my reading materials than I was ever aware of before.

The reason I am taking the "slow" route this time is that I just don't have the mental energy any more to be that strict with my eating. I felt just awful about being so heavy, I couldn't motivate myself because I would get so depressed when I thought about all that work, so I decided to follow some of the suggestions in Ellie Krieger's book, Small Changes, Big Results. You are supposed to change your life in a few weeks. It is taking me much longer than that , but that is how I got started.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
It is not that I lost too fast; I just didn't learn new habits while dieting.
I actually see these two things as connected: one of the reasons I think we don't learn new habits is because we focus on losing weight quickly. Taking a slower, more moderate approach teaches better habits which stick because they have been employed longer by the dieter, and more importantly, the more moderate approach is MUCH closer to what food-life is like as a maintainer. Eg, for me, losing on 1200 calories a day taught me basically nothing about eating like a non-fat person. I learned the calorie values of foods, which is helpful knowledge to have, but I never learned what a moderate and balanced diet actually looks like. Losing on 1600-1800 calories a day takes a little bit longer, but it's also only a glass of wine and a handful of nuts away from the bottom end of my maintenance range. This is why so many maintainers are able to say that maintaining is just like losing, only you get a little bit more food.

My two cents.

Last edited by baffled111; 02-23-2008 at 09:02 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #25  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I lost quickly.

It's the broken-ankle-post surgery-cigarettes-diet-pepsi-and peanut butter m&m diet.

Yup, lost about 40 pounds. Imagine Bridget Jones at the beginning of the movie. On her couch, depressed, smoking like a chimney and living off of peanut butter m&ms and diet pepsi because she was alone and couldn't even walk to the kitchen.

Worked like a charm.

If I had lost the rest of the weight and had gone back to my previous habits, I'm sure I would have regained it, but I got sick and tired of my previous ways.

Now I have new ways and have kept the new habits (and kept the weight off) for 4 years. And I... committed to it.

I wish I could tell you it's as easy as diet pepsi and cigarettes, but that would cheapen the whole experience as well as my success.

Last edited by junebug41; 02-23-2008 at 09:14 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #26  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

When I was a teenager I tried very low calorie diets that mainly consisted of boiled egg (which I didn't care for), grapefruit juice (which I hated), bouillon cube (again, I didn't like it but it only had 10 calories per cup ), and dry toast (I had always heard that if you toasted it, it no longer had calories). I never lost any weight on it. How could I....by the second day I was miserable and starving and binging on foods I did like. It took me another 20+ years to realize that dieting didn't have to be a form of punishment.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #27  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've taken Dexatrim, Slimfast, been on total salad and veggie diets. And I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly every time. And I gained it all back pretty quickly every time. The worst part, it always came back with a few friends.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #28  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Similar to Archy's post, I lost 9 lbs. in a 24 hr. period once when I got food poisoning from a Whataburger restaurant. Of course once my Dr. stuck me in the hospital and poured the IV fluids to me, the 9 lbs. found me again.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #29  
Mel

I'm laughing so hard the tears are pouring down my face. Of course it's not really funny, but our experiences sure point to the same conclusion!

I did a 600-700 calorie "Doctor's Weight Loss Clinic" Diet in my early twenties and ran 4-7 miles daily. I lost about 30 pounds in two months, and then ended up with a stomach that was eating itself from the inside out. I got pregnant when I hit my lowest weight (110 pounds) and put on 50 pounds during the first trimester. Talk about stretch marks!! I added another 15 during the next six months and didn't lost my "baby fat" for 19 years. I' sure that experience and similar diets contributed to my very sluggish (or efficient- depends on the way you look at it ) metabolism.

At least I know on a desert island, I'll be the last to die.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hard boiled eggs and green beans ....

Tomato and cabbage soup ...

Banana, milk and grapefruit ...

Or the soccer/piano lessons mom pop corn diet. I ate in the car only.

I think the average was about 6 lbs lost and 8 lbs regained.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote