Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachcake View Post
I weigh over 200 and wear a 13/14 in pants. It amazes me that I weigh so much but I'm not yet in aplus size. It all depends on the person. Don't get discouraged!
This is a prime example! When I am around 200 pounds, I am about a size 16W (in plus size) or an 18 in misses size in pants. I don't get anywhere near a size 13/14 until I am around the 160 pound range. The way I am built, I get thinner quickly in my arms, face, neck, chest, etc. but the booty and thighs are the last thing to go. When I wear long flowy skirts, I always look thinner than people think I am, because it hides where I carry my weight.

My stepmother is a tall woman (5'11") and I am 5'7". With a 4" difference, when she and I have weighed the same in the past (around 155) she looks tall and slender-while I look curvy. Height and body shape make a big difference.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #17  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
You're pretty tall, especially for a woman. There really aren't that many women that are as tall as you--in fact 50% of all women are under 5'4". So chances are that the women you saw on that show were considerably shorter than you--there's a 50% chance they were more than 7 inches shorter than you.

At 175 lbs you are considered to be a normal weight; you're at the upper end of your acceptable BMI range but you aren't considered overweight. But a woman of 5'4" that weighs 175 lbs is considered obese. So you can see what a difference 7 inches makes. Chances are that you are considerably thinner than the women you saw on that show.
Dead on! I'm 5'11" too and if I get much lower than 170, I start looking way too thin. But 170 on my mother, who has exactly the same body type but is 5'4", looks TOTALLY different!
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 312/307/142

Height: 5'6

I feel the same way. The other day I was watching TV with my brother and someone on TV said that she weighed 275 pounds and my brother said he couldn't believe someone could "let themself get that big." Insensitive, I know. He's skinny, of course. I told him that I weighed 277 and he couldn't believe it. He said I didn't look like that at all. I think some people can just carry more weight than others. That's why I think weight isn't all that important anymore. It's really all about feeling good and being healthy.
kcmolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Gabrielle Reece is 175, 6'11, can you picture anything that's MORE OF a GODDESS?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 181/181/145

Height: 5'6

I weigh 7 more lbs than you. And I know the feeling... I don't look it either. Heck I was 150lbs and I wore a size 6 waist... in juniors. Different people carry their weight differently. Height definetely has an affect on that as well.
ashisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 194/155/145

Height: 5'11"

if you are 5'11" and weigh 180 comparing yourself to someone who is let's say 5'5" of course they will be larger and their bmi will be higher...why do you think bmi asks for your height!

for every inch taller you are than someone you can weigh 5lbs more and be the same size. so if this person on t.v. was lets say 5'6" and weighed the same as you (180lbs). and you're 5'11" thats a 4 inch heighth difference therefore would have to lose about 20lbs to be your size.
loveXhateXregret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 350/350/190

Height: 6'1

I think a lot of people struggle with this- My sis and I are 6' and 6'1 even though I weight 350 lbs.... I look at her at 220 and she's thin!! It isn't that she's thinner than me, but she wears a 16 and makes it look like a 12.. You can't rely on JUST your weight- because my son who weighs 52 lbs is a SOLID 52lbs... so my neighbors daughter who was 52lbs felt a ton lighter just because of her body type. You look fabulous, just have to start believing in the you that doesn't change when you lose weight. I read your blog and your life experience has a lot to do with the way you see yourself Cheer up girl! You look great!
designerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That is why the BMI calculators correlate weight with height. A taller person is just--bigger!

On the other hand, obese is obese. And it's not about how you look in clothes, it's about the risk of diabetes, etc.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #24  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
Gabrielle Reece is 175, 6'11, can you picture anything that's MORE OF a GODDESS?
I don't think she is quite that tall. 6'3" is about right, I think.

Here are some great quotes from her:

Be realistic about your body shape:
"I can't be 5-foot-5. I passed that a long time ago. If you have big hips, that's what you have. Certainly, you can find ways to enhance yourself. But work from your canvas."

Don't be afraid to eat:
"Not eating is counter-productive. You can't build muscle without food. Eat every four hours -- snacks, not meals -- until a couple of hours before bed. Keep putting things in your engine. Just try to stay away from fake foods."

Outgrow rebellion:
"I tell teens you get to the point where you're no longer rebelling against parents, teachers or coaches. You're just rebelling against yourself."

Age with an attitude:
"Lauren Bacall doesn't apologize for getting older. I've seen fantastic women with wrinkles. They have an attitude that's beautiful."
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote