Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #1  
calories? what calories?

S/C/G: 245/176/110

Height: 5'2"

Angry staying positive although the weight is not going anywhere?

What to do? For the past two weeks my weight has stayed almost the same. Average loss is 0,2 lbs per week... I am getting a little discouraged. I have increased my calories and the weight dropped a pound, but it comes back in water weight.
I am trying very hard not to despair. But it is hard. I have been consuming less calories than I use, and still nothing.

The big kick was this morning, when I weighed a pound more! I read here that water weight can fluctuate after workout, and I had 1:20 of fast paced walking, and a tai chi class.

I am in no way giving up, I just wish something would happen, because it has been stationary for so long, and I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

What do you suggest I do?
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Aldebaran I sympathize with you. I have TOM this week and the scale went up and is not budging. I think you have to analyze a few things. First are you weighing in at the exact same time daily? Are you tracking your calories? Personally I have committed to tracking in fit day until I hit 199lbs. Just because I"m stuck and want to see if I will see a pattern or anything. How much water are you drinking? Do you feel bloated or constipated? These coudl also be culprits.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

oh yeah take your measurements because sometimes the scale doesn't show a loss but the tape measure does!! Good luck!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Stick with it... list everything in FitDay... keep exercising... don't give up! You have to be persistent in your efforts! And remember, keep the range of calories somewhat narrow. By that I mean, eating 2000 cals one day and 1200 cals the next averages out to 1600, but the effects are very different from eating 1600 two days in a row.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

What to do?? One the one hand, keep at it and don't give up! Sometimes it takes a while to see results on the scale!

On the other hand, think about what you are doing -- food and exercise wise. How much are you eating each day?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

It may seem like very little, but it adds up in the long run! I was always so discourgaged at my rate of weight loss....less than .5lb per week. But a year later, I'm down 31lbs and if it weren't for those little .5lbs's here and there, I'd still be at 160!!
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Focus on all of your successes aside from your weight. Did you exercise today? Did you choose a turkey sandwich over a hamburger? A square of dark chocolate over a Snicker's bar? Did you walk more? Are your clothes looser? Can you see or feel definition where you couldn't before? Are you more energetic? Do you feel like you're making non-scale progress?

All of these little things are often overlooked but are to be celebrated just as highly -- if not higher -- than scale victories. These little things are what will make your eventual scale success, and will determine the course of your lifestyle change. Each one is worthy of being proud of, and should keep you motivated!

In one of my WW meetings not too long ago, I remember this one guy who shared that he had lost a pound that week, but it was the 1st pound he lost in about two months. Would you call him a failure? No one would call him a failure. He's nothing but a success. Same holds for you. You're doing the right things, and the scale will eventually catch up with you.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #8  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

Dear Aldebaran,

You are not alone! I too am experiencing this Diet Bug -- and have the exact same symptoms as you do!

1/30/08 -- Initlal weight loss of 8lbs after 2 weeks on phase 1 of south beach diet.
2/06/08 -- no weight loss (averaging 1185 cals a week)
2/13/08 -- lost 1 pound (averaging 913 cals a week)
2/20/08 -- + 1 pound (averaging 1172 cals a week)

What to do, what to do? I'm going to re-read a message from a friend and try to adjust as she suggests! I am pasting her response from when I was bummed the first week of February -- I hope this helps --

"Give it another week, sometimes the weight loss takes a few days to show up on the scale. Don't by discouraged by a week, when you have weeks to go and a lifetime of learning and change to effect and undo!

Alternately, your metabolism lowers (adjusts) as your weight lowers, thus you need less food as your weight decreases (obviously). "Fool" your metabolism by alternating carb days. In other words, don't
eat carbs every day. Skip the carbs for a day or two or three, then have a carb day (not a carb binge day!) This increases the insulin your body produces, which your body then uses to burn fat, rather than
add it on! This method is especially good for those of us who are carb sensitive...insulin resistant, whatever you want to call it. This is not a break from the SBD, just a way to personalize , if it works for
you. Dr. A says we each have our own individual and unique amount of carbs that work for us. Maybe you need less. A bottle of wine and popcorn isn't too much, but perhaps only twice a week, you know,
instead of several nights in a row....?

This is your science project, your body will guide you, let it.
And if you doubt this info, I have a B.Sc. in Biology, and have done extensive research on glucose metabolism, insulin resistance, and nutrition, and I can site sources. The body "gets used" to the level of carbs you are feeding it, so like the other gal said..."Shake it up"...change your carb intake and add a day or two of walking to your routine (30 minutes is fine, you don't have to kill yourself!). --Gina"

Aldebaran -- you and I are in this "science project," together! Let's share our findings!

To US! and our Success in the Quest!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes, we are all science projects for sure! And no one's body works just the way the books say they do...so you are, even though the scales aren't moving, right on track...you are learning how your body "ticks"...what you need to do to get your body to let go of pounds. So you're experimenting and, soon, you'll find what does work. The experimentation is, regrettably, non-optional, but once you figure out what works, you'll be so glad you took the time to do it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm in the same boat. I haven't lost anything for 2 months! Granted, I haven't gained, but I'd like to get this thing going again!

I think I'll try the carb thing suggested here. I'm not on SB, I calorie count, but it couldn't hurt.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #11  
Oh Me Oh My

S/C/G: 196/192/140

Height: 5'6" - I am shrinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
In one of my WW meetings not too long ago, I remember this one guy who shared that he had lost a pound that week, but it was the 1st pound he lost in about two months. Would you call him a failure? No one would call him a failure. He's nothing but a success. Same holds for you. You're doing the right things, and the scale will eventually catch up with you.
How right you are!
I will read this again and again to get me through my stall(s) too.
2old2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

pretty one that is a great story!

Well when I plateau for whatever reason I remind myself that I am eating healthy and exercising for my HEALTH. Not just to see a lower number on the scale. The last time I had to give myself that pep talk I was 242.

Sometimes there are things we can change to help lose. We don't know how much you weigh or what your calorie counts are so.....give us a clue. lol
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #13  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

I personally think it's the curse of the 170's, since a bunch of people have also stalled at around that weight (including me).

When the scale budges I'll let you know what has worked for me. I'm going to up calories a bit next, and after that it's the witch doctor. We'll see. Let us know what happens!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #14  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Archy how many calories are you eating?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #15  
calories? what calories?

S/C/G: 245/176/110

YES!!! THE SCALE BUDGED!!!

This morning I weighed 175,7 pounds!

Thank you all so much for your inputs!

2beautiful: I weigh myself every morning after numbers 1 and 2. My diet is consisted of mostly vegetarian food, almost vegan, actually, so every morning when I wake up, I do No1. Then I go downstairs, make my tea, and go quickly upstairs again, because No2 is ready. It's like clockwork. I do not feel bloated or constipated. I drink a lot of water, at least 2 liters - about 8,5 cups (that's just the water, I also eat soups and drink teas). I put vitamin C in it, because I'm a smoker (every cigarette uses up half of the daily required amount, 30 milligrams).
I track my calories and exercise with FitDay, I eat around 1600 calories a day.
When I started here about a month ago, I weighed 185 lbs. I lost the first 4-5 with almost starvation. There were days when I was eating well under 1000 calories. And then my weight stopped. I came here and told what happened. Some chickies were almost upset with me for doing that to my body, and told me that I should up my calories. After I did that, my weight budged again for 2 pounds. I stayed on these 1600 (one day I had 1800 and weighed less in the morning).
Yesterday I had only 1300, because I was tired and went to sleep early, and today the weight budged.
This experimentation is showing some confusing results so far. But I will definitely get that measure tape!

JayEll and Heather: thanks for the encouragement. I do keep my calories somewhat narrow, I had 1800 only once, to see what would happen. The result was quite satisfying.

The PrettyOne and suitejudyblueeyes, my mood immediately changed, when I read your posts. I reminded myself that I did all of those “right things”. And I really do feel, like I’m making non-scale progress, because my clothes are looser. Thank you so much!

bruniQ, thank you for your input. However, my diet consists of mostly carbohydrates, tofu, veggies and fruit, and so far I l LOVE what it has done to my body. I feel more energetic than ever! I could try switching some carbohydrates with more fruit and veggies, but as far as meat goes… I’ll give that a try when I’m completely out of options. The CH I consume are mostly complex. I eat wholegrain rye and flaxseed bread for breakfast (the one that is so compact, that it comes in extremely thin and heavy slices) with a light cheese spread, or unprocessed muesli, which consists of oats, raisins, nuts and seeds, with 2 tbsp of honey and at least two cups of green tea (Temple of Heaven Gunpowder). For lunch I usually have some mixture of potatoes, rice or pasta (still trying to get my family to switch to wholegrain versions) with legumes or tofu, and vegetables. Dinner is usually either lunch leftovers or a sandwich with a tsp of mayo, cucumber, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. In between I have fruit. I get some movement every day, I walk a lot and have tai chi class twice a week.

Cbmare, 2old2quit, jasmine31 and archy, thanks for the support. We will get through this!
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote