Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #1  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

Default Beautiful people...blahhhh

Ugh I'm sorry I think I need a Lil pep talk....DH is sooo excited his BFF (do guys call them bff's?? lol) is moving home from the other side of the country and we're having a small get together tonight at the cottage to welcome him and his new wife home.
Here's the thing he is gorgeous, and so is she, they have no kids and have been traveling the world for the past five years and are sooo into health and nutrition. The other couple that will be there are also good friend of ours we'll the guy is, his girlfriend I don't know all that well, only that she's 100lbs soaking wet and has a career as a full time model and has done photo shoots for various popular fashion magazines ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I was feeling so good about myself this week and now I have to go be the fat chick in the room *sigh*
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Lol! I love your screen name, ChunkyDunker!

I am the queen of being self-conscious! But one thing I have learned is that no matter how beautiful you think someone is, they are probably just as self-conscious as you are. I have found that skinny people worry about how they look, too and that people that seem happy don't always have the perfect lives. There is often more than what is on the surface... I have also realized that people are never thinking what you think they are thinking.
Besides - if they are skinny - maybe they can give you some great tips??
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

baaah, so what if you're the biggest girl in the room - I was the biggest girl for a loooong time. is that you in your avatar? YOU ARE GORGEOUS. you have nothing to be concerned about - no one will even be thinking about that.

I remember the first time I met my dbf's friends.. I was so nervous I think I threw up for a week.. and I wasn't concerned in the LEAST weather or not they would like me or my personality - i was worried what they would think about my weight.. I was a size 16 at the time, somewhere around 220. my bf's friends are all slim and attractive - former jocks and pretty girls, none of whom have lost their figures or even gained a pound or two, not to mention they are all 10 years older than me. you know what? NONE of them cared about my weight.. in fact they care so little no one has even noticed the last 20lbs i've dropped and i've gone from a 14 to a 10 and i'm kind of ticked off! but that night went really well, and they all liked me, and i don't think they could care less what i weigh. when we hang and have parties, we all have a good time, and they're good company.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If she is into health and nutrition (and isn't just about being THIN), you guys will have TONS to talk about. You've lost 10 lbs and you're on your way to losing more, the healthy way...and my experience with people who are into health and nutrition is that they love talking about it.

Before, they'd be talking about their healthy foods and exercise, and you'd be sitting there with nothing to contribute. But now, you're eating healthy! You're working your plan! You can have that conversation and feel proud of yourself because you are on your way to being healthy and fit. And if my experience is anything like what typically happens, they will be excited for you, and won't judge you a bit.

I met with a friend of mine who is a personal trainer about 10 lbs into my journey, and found it was incredibly liberating and inspiring, because we were talking about what we ate and how we exercised and we were doing the same things. Made me feel like, soon, I was going to BE that healthy person, and pushed me to keep going.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 02-08-2008 at 01:57 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Good advice from everyone above. Also, remember to wear an outfit that you feel absolutely confident in and comfortable. Make sure you look great as well. No matter what anyone else weighs, I bet you'll still be the hottest chick in the room! That's because you'll be the most confident. Confidence is sexy! Let us know how it goes.
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, this doesn't have to be a discouraging thing if you put the right mental spin on it! I am really bad about exercising, but my coworker runs marathons and is training for her first triathlon. At first I was intimidated, but now I ask her how her training is going, I comment on my own (much more modest) progress with jogging, and sometimes ask her for advice. She's been really supportive and never undermines my relatively less impressive accomplishments (like signing up for a 5k).

Of course, this woman might be mean spirited and in love with herself (in which case, don't let her toxic personality bring you down!), but since she's married to your DH's BFF, she might instead be a wonderful person who could be a great source of inspiration. Since they are such a fit and traveled couple, they might also be able to give you some good ideas about how to combine healthfulness into your own family vacations, etc.
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #7  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Honey, look in the mirror; you ARE beautiful!

Don't let the fear of someone else get you down! Honestly, is it really all that important what people you've never met before think about you? If this girl is so snobby that she discounts you because of your weight, then she's not worth worrying over anyway!

As others have said, this could be a wonderful learning tool for you! Find out what tips and strategies she has! Who knows? You might make a friend out of it! If not, don't worry about it. All you can do is be yourself; that's all anyone can do.

You walk into that room and you own it, girl! Ooze confidence, even if you have to fake it a little, and I'm sure everything will be just fine!
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #8  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Gawd I love you guys lol!
As you all predicted everything went better than great! I learned how to cook lentils, tried tofu stuffed mushrooms and a seven grain salad and a bunch of other stuff I never would have tried on my own lol! BFF's DW is actually a very passionate homeopath and we talked all night (between light beers and making an *** of myself at charades lol.) about health and nutrition she's very sweet and said she'd love to help anyway she can with my new lifestyle! In fact we were up till 4:AM talking lol!
Thanks again girls how'd y'all get so smart anyways
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote