Is your mom skinnier then you?

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Is your mom skinnier then you? My mom is in her late 60s, but nothing's really new, she's been skinnier then me ever since I hit my late 20s. It's been a bit irritating to donate skinny clothes and have them look better on your mother. She's been a health nut her whole life, I of course rebelled and ate junk food, now I'm asking her questions about why she's skinner, has more energy... funny how these things go in circles. It's something about three meals a day, no eating out, no junk, organic foods, and if you cheat you go work it off within hours... she could have written the book French Women Don't Get Fat, although not French, it's her diet and it works. I'm just thinking if I keep eating right and exercising MAYBE I'll be able to keep up with my mom on vacations we go on!
  • Not anymore. My mom has been the same throughout my entire life, around a size 12. That used to be so much smaller than me, and now it is slightly larger. She has always focused a lot on exercise, though, and eating healthy foods...that is just where her body likes to settle weight-wise.
  • My mom is no longer with us, but she was shorter and petite for most of her life. I now hear the complaints from my 15 yr. old DD that I am smaller than she is. But, like you mentioned, she eats junk food while I try to avoid it.
  • My mom hasn't been skinny in YEARS!!! But now...I am starting to get as skinny as my teenage daughter. I'm not sure how she feels about it. We went to the doctor the other week and they weighed her. I said, "just another 9 pounds and i'll weigh what you weigh". Also, i will tell her to keep a size smaller juniors pants from what i wear now close at hand so i can try them on. I actually wear a smaller size than one of her "skinny" friends from school. She actually wore a pair of my dress pants to school one day and came home and complained they were too tight around her midsection and bothered her all day. lol. But...her body is in better shape than mine and that's what i'm really going to have to work on.
  • My mom always has. She weighed in the 140's when she was PREGNANT with both my sisters and me. Her "fat' phase was about 15 years ago when she weighed 160, her highest weight ever. She's turning 50 this year, doesn't exercise, eats pretty much what she wants, and stays around 145. If she gave up her 4 cups of calorie-laden coffee every day (600 calories), she'd be back to her pre-pregnancy weight of 125 in less than 5 months. I tell her that all of the time, but she still refuses to drink any artificial sweetners. And my sisters and I have all been morbidly obese at some point in our lives. We got our dad's genes and overeating habits.
  • I don't know... competing with your daughter? I don't feel that it's a competition with my mom. But as I get older I just wonder how she's done this. Nice skin, thin, positive energy... So I get ideas from her. Sometimes I tell her about the "latest" in weight loss that I read in books/magazines and it stumps her. Now I have a saying "whatever she does I'll do" without many questions. She has certain meals that she eats, always the same thing, rotating days. They say that about life long thin people, they aren't always cooking and trying recipes, they'll have the same thing for breakfast, almost the same lunch and will vary dinners.
  • My mom was always skinnier than I am. I inherited my father's (actually his mother's) body type - the Germanic, round, pink cheeked side of the family!

My mom was tall (5'10"), slim (always naturally around 130 lbs), with an athletic build (small boobs, narrow hips).

I am 5'4", inclined to gain weight around my hips and tummy, have boobs, etc.

After about age 11 or 12 I stopped being able to wear her clothes because my chest got bigger than hers! Shortly after that, everything except my height increased! Even when I was at my slimmest in college (123-ish), I couldn't fit into her clothes.

But then her father and her 2 brothers were all over 6'. And my younger brother inherited her body type as much as I inherited my fathers - my brother is 6'3" and a solid 200lbs of muscle. He's always been athletic and stayed trim. The BRAT.
  • My mom is also in her late 60's. She has been up and down in her weight all my life. At one point, about 20 years ago, she got extremely thin - only to gain it all back and then some (sound familiar?). Right now she is very, very heavy and it terrifies me. I can't imagine how terrified she was for her daughter, me, when I was so heavy.

It couldn't have been easy for my kids growing up with a morbidly obese mother. I sure hope that my kids have at least learned enough or at least something, from the changes I've made to our home and will never have to struggle like my mom and I did/do.
  • My mom looks completely different from me. You wouldn't even guess we were related by photographs.

She's about 5'4" and maybe 110 lbs. Max. Shes very blonde and blue-eyed. She's got a boyish frame with no curves at all.

Seriously, I've been out with people with my mom who have blatantly asked if I was adopted.
  • My mom says, that, think about what I'm teaching my little boy. He watches me eat healthy and exercise. Do we learn our habits from our childhood? From our mothers? Even those I had some junk food years, I still go back to the habits I was raised with. If I hadn't now and then I'd have gotten much heavier then I did! Rockinrobin, that's amazing the weight you lost. I'm amazed by stories on this site.
  • I forgot about my dad's genes contributing to this, his family gained weight in the stomach BAD. Just like ME. I have my mom's long legs but I'm a mix of genes from both sides.
  • my mom has always been small. looking at pictures of her when she was my age... ahh! i wish!! i, unfortunately, got my father's genes when it comes to how big i am. i do love that i am tall (more room for that extra weight to spread out), but i am "big boned". i took on my mom's eating habits, what you want when you want it, but since i took my dad's genetics i gained weight like no other! my aunts on my dad's side were all slim, not skinny skinny, but not big like me so i know that if i would have had better eating habits that i could have maybe been like them. oh well, now i have learned and i am teaching my daughter healthy eating habits (although my mom likes to let her eat what she wants when she wants it, i have had to address that with my mom before telling her that i don't want reagan to have to battle her weight like i have) and working on losing weight. i'll get there!
  • My mother is 48 and she had always been small. She's a dietitian so she always eats healthy. She's a pack rat and I was helping her (more like forcing her) to clear out her old clothes. She had clothes she still fit into from high school! Hopefully once I lose all this weight I will have an easy time maintaining it like she does.
  • They SAY in articles that women have gained about WHAT 20 lbs overall in the past 20-30 years... why is that? Are most of our mothers thinner then us? I look at teens now and many are overweight, when I was in high school, ok I'm admitting it was the late 80s, there were very FEW even slightly overweight kids.
  • Maintaining - THAT's what my mom seems to understand. I've seen it over and over with her, she'll gain 5 lbs, and she has never owned a scale in her life, she just knows by the fit of her clothes... she gets to work, walks harder, cuts carbs back and viola, back to that same size she's been most of her life. Perhaps it's discipline, that word I don't like! Self discipline not to pig out here and there, go out to eat, grab junk food snacks. A life of self discipline?