Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Angry I am SO STUPID!!! *rant*

I know it's not healthy but I am SERIOUSLY stressed right now and am caught between screaming, pulling my hair out, crying, punching a wall, or gobbling down everything in sight! I'm so dumb! I joined this gym and wouldn't you know it, a better offer came along and now I can't cancel the membership and it's for TWO years!!! Why, Shari, why? I am too freaking old for this!!! I'm 21 and I shouldn't have jumped into it but I did like I ALWAYS DO! I get so excited over nothing and don't use my brain. The gym I joined was Women's Super Fitness and I was so hyped cause they have free trainers and everyone seemed so nice but with no car and crappy bus lines, it's SO hard for me to get there! Then yesterday, they had a fair at my job and Gold's Gym gave $10/month memberships to government workers. $10!!! And they have WATER AEROBICS! And BODYJAM plus kickboxing! Plus, I only need to take ONE bus to get there! And it's only a ONE year contract! *tries to breathe* Okay pros and cons:

Women's Super Fitness

Pros
  • All Women (never been to a all womens gym)
  • Free Trainers
Cons
  • Difficult and time consuming to get to by bus
  • only interesting classes are yoga and kickboxing

Gold's Gym

Pros
  • Serious discounted
  • one year membership
  • water aerobics, BodyJam (dance aerobics), yoga, AND kickboxing
  • the website says it has free trainers but I don't know
  • a little easier to get to
Cons
  • filled with bodybuilders????

Now, I must add that WSF is only about $20 a month. If I pay for both, it'll be around $30 a month and I know people who pay way more for just ONE gym but STILL! My penny pinching mind is going haywire over having to pay for something I probably won't ever use and having to think about making time for BOTH gyms!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Two years is a very long commitment. My mom signed something like that at Curves, but maybe a year. My dad was sick and she was able to talk to them and get out of the membership. You might just go tell them things have come up in your life and you can't be a member anymore. Read the contract, the small print, likely there's something there about quitting your membership. It doesn't seem like they'd have a right to hold you to two years, especially if there's a "family emergency" if you know what I mean...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What happens if you cancel women's super fitness?

The best gym is the one you go to. I'd go to Gold's Gym in a heart beat. Why not take a free tour/trial membership at Gold's and see if you like it?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #4  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'3"

Is it possible to transfer your membership to someone else? If so, do you think you could put something like that on eBay? Perhaps you couldn't get the full amount back, but it'd be better than nothing. Just a thought...
Jewelieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #5  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

I called both branches and their corporate and was told the only ways I could cancel is:
  1. become disabled
  2. take a tour of leave with the military
  3. relocate 25 miles from the nearest location and pay $50

I was going to try option 3 cause most of my mail is still being sent to my apartment back in Alabama BUT they informed me that they go by the name Ladies Rivera in Alabama and I know one that is close to my old place!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #6  

I just googled this subject for you. Internet says most states have a three day cancillation policy, allowing you three business days to cancel the contract. For proof, you must cancel in writing.

Health clubs have different policies. You should check with the local Better Business Bureau to determine if there are unresolved complaints about any of them.

Last of all, beforeyou sign up you must decide if a long-term membership works for you. It is not unusual for people's good intentions to fade in a short period of time.

If you have a computer, you can check Consumer information about health clubs at the Federal Trade Commission web site - www.frc.gov. Or write to the FTC for their list of Consumer publications: Public Reference, Room 130, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 20580-0001. Request the publication "Consumer & Business Publications."

You can call your state for a brochure detailing Consumer law for health clubs.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I know it's not entirely honest but can't you just TELL them you're going somewhere, like overseas, for a year with work or something? I know people who do that to get out of cell phone contracts -- tell them you're going to live somewhere outside their service area, say that you're so sorry and really WOULD stay with them if you only COULD, and you'll definitely call them the INSTANT you get back from your year abroad....

I dunno, something to try if you really want to get out of it!! It sounds like there's more of a reason to take you to Gold's aside from the money, since there are classes you like and it's easier to get to - two key things to help ensure you GO to the gym. I'd try anything to get out of your other one.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #8  

How can they prove if you relocated or not to begin with? What do they ask for?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #9  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Height: 5'6"

I actually did move out of state and I had a contract with Gold's Gym, and they required proof in writing that I was moving (I showed them the contract on the house we bought). They still required a cancellation fee, though.

Contracts stink! Especially cell phone contracts! I have to disagree with the person above who said to fib about moving overseas. First, if they require proof it won't work. Second, karma is a b*tch and something like that will come back to bite you big time.

Best to just suck it up and start going to the Womans fitness place. It will be a challenge, but go with a positive attitude and more determined than ever to succeed at getting fit. Good luck!
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #10  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

You have to have two pieces of mail (utilites and such) at the place you are moving to. *sigh*
Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #11  

My cell phone contract ended with Tmobile, I went in to get a new phone, signed a new two year contract and thank goodness went back on time to cancil it. I got on the phone and said I'd quit if they didn't let me change my plan without signing a new plan. I got my way. Next phone I'll buy used on ebay just so that I won't be tied into a cell phone contract. I don't think TWO YEARS makes sense, and why all cell phone companies do it... If I switch to another company it'll be one that allows me to do a 1 year contract or less and I'll have my own phone before. I can't imagine signing up two years for a gym, it's rediculous to ask anyone to do THAT. It's a lesson for a young person about real life... sad one too. If I join the local gym I'll just pay the $10 per month extra to not be on a contract or I'll join another that doesn't require one.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #12  

Switch your cell phone to a relatives address, one form of proof, then think up something else to switch to a "new" address...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm really sorry that this happened, JasonsLea! But don't let it throw you off your path! Remember that your goal is to lose weight and become healthy and fit, and you can do that at the women-only gym as well as at any other. Bite the bullet... start going... remember, it's not about contracts, it's about what you can do to help yourself lose weight!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote