birth control question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • i know that certain birth controls themselves can cause weight gain, but could chaning birth control methods cause a bump on the scales? i recently switched from the pill to the shot. i would assume it could since your body is adjusting, just curious about whether or not other people have had any experience with this.
  • I have heard of a lot of women gaining weight with the Depo shot.
  • I always experienced slight weight gain from any medicine I began. When you body gets used to it, in my experience, it will begin to accept weight loss once again. This is only what I have experienced, though. The other members here may have different stories
  • I have read that changing birth control can cause a weight gain of 10lbs. That's what my doctor told me... but I'm sure there are lots of opinions.
  • it was "up tp" 10 lbs actually
  • Yes, changing medicines can affect your weight, but it should only be temporary. If you notice your weight continuing to increase without changing your diet/exercise routine, I'd talk to your doctor because, as someone already mentioned, I, too, have heard quite a few horror stories of women gaining weight on "the shot." Not trying to scare you--not everyone has this problem
  • The only thing the shot gave me was a month long period and a freaked out doctor giving me birth control pills trying to stop it. Oh and 5 pounds that went away after the infernal bleeding finally stopped.

Oh Nuvaring, why did I ever doubt you?

Talk to your doctor, and good luck!
  • I was okay on the Depo shot, I didn't gain any weight...and I was 142lbs back then...sob sob, sniff sniff.

I wouldn't worry too much, just keep doing what you have been doing and you will be heading in the right direction.

Boo x x
  • I gained about 10 lbs on that evil shot years ago, I'll never do THAT again. The dr had that attitude that women would "gain anyways" but at the time I'd always been tall and thin, there was no reason for such an extreme weight gain. If you feel that it's that shot, don't do it again at least. Personally I think it WAS. There's no way to prove it. You can google the subject.
  • well i asked her about it before she gave it to me and she said the main thing is it causes women to feel hungry when they aren't. lol like i don't already have enough of that! it just seemed to me though that since my body has been on birth control for a long time it wouldn't necessarily cause too much of a weight gain (and it hasn't, yet, just a little bit), since it's already used to the having it in my system. i was just hoping that my slight weight gain was my body getting used to it, and really hoping it doesn't continue.

sounds though like i might have some trouble ... i really hope not
  • Depo provera would be the last birth control I would suggest to a woman trying to lose weight. Hopefully, the weight gain side effect won't be too bad for you.

And archy, I luv my nuvaring.
  • well i went ahead and called planned parenthood to ask about it and she said it comes down to calories in and calories out. she said that there are no specific hormones that make you gain weight it's just a matter of women eating more, so if i am closely monitoring my food i should be fine.
  • I'm sure you'll do fine. Controlling intake is key.....some women on depo find it harder to control intake than others. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Quote: And archy, I luv my nuvaring.
    Funny nuvaring story ...my friend has a 7 year old daughter. One day when she picked her up from school she noticed she had bracelets on. Her daughter had been fishing her used nuvarings out of the trash and wearing them to school as bracelets.
  • Quote: Funny nuvaring story ...my friend has a 7 year old daughter. One day when she picked her up from school she noticed she had bracelets on. Her daughter had been fishing her used nuvarings out of the trash and wearing them to school as bracelets.

I LOVE nuvaring. love it love it love it. No weight gain to speak of.

But wow, Ennay. Just, wow.