Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/145/125

Height: 5ft.3in

Default Need some help & support

Hi everyone, I'm taking my life style change serious for the first time. I did 15 mins. of Jillian Michaels (win big by losing, full frontal) yesterday and I hurt so bad I can't even think about exercise. How did you guys start out what is you secrets. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

current Weight: 145
goal weight: 125
racerwife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I don't know what the Jillian Michaels thing is, but if you're feeling sore from exercise, sometimes the best thing for your body is some light cardio--a brisk walk, for instance. It gets the blood moving around your muscles which helps them to heal. At any rate, you shouldn't work the same muscles (if this is a weight lifting program) every day--they need one full day of rest between workouts.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I don't know your age, or your history of exercise--but if you are just starting out with exercise, or it's been a long time, then you may have pushed too hard. You do NOT have to go full out and keep up with routines that may be too hard for you as a beginnner. Wait at least a day before you do that workout again... and take it a little easier. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your fitness won't be, either!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey, racerwife, I just posted something similar, lol.

If you're actually hurting then you overdid it. I remember when my husband and I took our 8 mile hike last fall. I hurt for DAYS afterwards - not sore, actual PAIN. My legs no longer belonged to my body.

Maybe you could work your way into the workout. Do the warm up, take a longish walk, then do the cool down. Then start easing into more sections of the workout video.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is a little bit of muscle soreness...the kind that says "yes, I worked hard today, and now I ache a little". Then there is muscle PAIN...the kind that says "WHOA! I WAYYYY overdid it and now I don't want to do this again".

I try to aim for the first, not the second...maybe you should start with a slightly easier routine and work your way up? Jillian's routines are, across the board, pretty hardcore for people who haven't done much exercise.

Can you start with small handweights? Maybe some basic lifting, with some cardio? It might help to go SLOWLY in ramping up. Think of it this way...you can either work out once every 4-5 days and then spend the next 4 days in pain, or you can work out every day and NOT be in pain...5 workouts vs. 1, AND you aren't hurting! Seems like a win-win to me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/145/125

Height: 5ft.3in

Thanks guys, I will start slower. My body hurts!
I really never exercised, always pretty healthy, never worried about gaining weight, but baby girl #4 born 21 months ago has stuck the extra pounds to me, but it was worth it. I started my low carb lifestyle again yesterday, I was pretty successful with it after I had the baby; I just wasn't serious about getting back into shape. Now I am!! YA ME!!

racerwife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

In addition to the good advice already offered, a hot bath can help ease aching muscles.

Things will get better when you get used to working out this way.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #8  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I've started a new group on 3fatchicks called 'Gettin' my sexy back' - if you want to come along and join.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...24#post2035724
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Ibuprofen, stretching (lots of it), and lots of fluids are how I deal with aching muscles.

The first time I exercised after years of inactivity, I was so sore I could barely move. And I hadn't overdone it; I just did short spurt on the treadmill. Some people just have a tendency to get sore. But it went away in a few days and I've never experienced that level of pain again. Even if I take a week or so off (usually for illness), when I start back up again I'm never as sore as I was that first time I exercised.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I'm not sure about the Jilian program, I read her book and she suggests you just jump right into REALLY hard exercising, if you are out of shape you might want to start with some beginner programs or just start walking 20-30 min a day for the first few weeks. Then add in light weight training. I think she's a little extreme, but the Biggest Loser program is about losing weight fast - and you can't argue with success, I saw her books and dvds are best sellers...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote