Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

My mom and I were discussing the "latest" diet books, of which I've been reading a bunch of. Most say eat 5-6 meals a day, but my mom's right, it's not realistic if you are busy. And small meals don't satisfy. So then I went to the library, checked out French Women Don't Get Fat, and my mom could have written the book although we are Swedish not French. The plan: three large meals a day, lots of fresh produce, "real" butter, limited bread, small portions, red wine, some chocolate, and informal exercise (usually walking)... my mom at 68 is much thinner then me who studies the "latest" what to do's. My point: it's not about following the RULES but doing what works. One book admitted nutritionists don't like the French because what they do doesn't fit into their "formulas." They are the skinniest women in the world, and like my mom, it's working.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Yeah. Hmm..

I don't pay any attention to sodium (actually, if anything, I overconsum sodium because my bp can get really low) I don't pay any attention to protein, carbs, fat, etc. Really, I only pay attention to calories, and if it's not balanced enough, I know because I don't feel good.

I don't have a cut-off to stop eating.

If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Even if I should.

If I'm hungry, I eat. Even if I shouldn't.

I'm not always good about getting in my water.

I use Splenda and all of that jazz as much as I want.

Sometimes I eat breakfast 3 hours or more after I wake up.

On weekends, I either graze all day or only eat one huge meal.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I don't buy the argument that water is better than caffeine free diet pepsi.

I believe that servings of splenda and healthy breakfast cereals are just about the same size. After spending decades obese, worrying about the effects of artificial sweeteners seems a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

I'm going to eat my nonfat frozen chocolate yogurt as a reward for going to the gym. Sure, exercise is its own reward but isn't chocolate a better one?
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #34  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hmm, let's see.

I don't have any 'forbidden' foods. I'm aware that focusing on veggies, lean meats, fish etc. is better, but if I feel like having pizza sometimes, I will (I'll just eat a smaller portion).

I also don't do the 5-6 mini-meals a day. I'll have a snack sometimes, but it's a light snack (a fruit, a yogurt... never more than 100-150 cals). 6 small meals is just unrealistic when you have to deal with school & work and are not home/in an appropriate place to 'do things the right way'.

I haven't set a cut-off time either, although I naturally have one (I usually can't be bothered eating after dinner. Seriously). But if I'm at friends', for instance, and we have something to eat late in the evening one hour before I go back home, I sure won't fret about eating-past-7-pm-OMG-it's-bad.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #35  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I exercise in the morning. I don't eat before I exercise. That means some "mornings" I don't eat breakfast until noon or a little later. Kids need to be fed. Homeschool needs to be started. Dishes need to be washed. I do get around to eating, but very rarely within two hours of waking up.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #36  
Determined

S/C/G: 260/266/180

Height: 5'6

Well, I don't eat before bed, but that's because I have acid reflux....

But I eat truffles and ice cream! I have really small portions of both, but it is soooooo worth it.
twirlandswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #37  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Hmmm...lets see..

I don't: Watch my sodium, I have extremely low blood pressure and i work out like a fiend.

I don't: eat 5-6 meals, I eat like 8-10 times a day

I do: Forbid certain foods from myself due to relapse of purging. If I feel guilty eating it...it goes on my list of things not to eat.

I do: Drink as much diet soda and flavored waters as I want

I do: Eat right before bed because I wake up and workout.

I do: Eat chocolate everyday in small portions

I do: Eat a TON of food, but not calorie dense foods
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I drink coffee and diet coke but not as much as I used to.
I drink more water but not lots.
If I must have special coffee, it has to have real sugar and cream.
I eat in bed, in the evening, watching TV.
I do the 1200 calorie thing if I must, as well.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post

I don't do moderation either. There is no such thing as moderation for a lot of foods for me. There's either a closed container or an empty container. I'm better off never opening it.
True that! That is soooo me sometimes!
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #40  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I don't really have a cut off time at night. If I'm still hungry and I have room in my plan, I will eat something

I don't have any forbidden foods. I will eat anything I want, its the portion size that matters.

I don't eat a salad when I go to a restaurant. I get whatever I feel like, as long as it fits in my day.

I don't eat salads every day (some people perceive this as a "rule" - that is most people I've talked to who have never "dieted" before) but I do get at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day (I think I average 7 a day).

I use Splenda too, although I really would like to cut it out.

Last edited by modkittn; 01-26-2008 at 08:37 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Oh my. I'm a notorious diet rule-breaker.

I don't limit caffeine.
I don't limit carbs or sugar -- if it fits in my calories for the day and I want it, I'm having it.
I don't limit sodium -- I pay no attention to it.
I drink as much diet soda as I want.
I eat whenever I want, including right before bed.
I have cheat days whenever I need to, and on those days I go over my calories. I just make sure they're not THAT often.
I don't count how many glasses of water I drink. I just drink water all day while I'm teaching and during and after workouts.
I probably don't eat as many fruits and vegetables as I should.

I lost 110 pounds this way. Bear in mind, much of this has changed now because I'm pregnant. No more caffeine or aspartame for a while, and I've definitely increased the fruits and vegetables as much as possible. The hardest part is increasing dairy, when I'm just not a fan of dairy anyway.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I love to eat while being distracted -- watching TV or playing/typing on my computer. And I never eat at my kitchen table lol.

I often shop for food when I'm hungry.

If I want seconds, I get seconds.

I weigh myself inconsistently and infrequently.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #43  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh I break lots of rules, and breaking those rules is what helped me to shed 165 lbs.

I don't eat before I go to a party. I'm sorry, I get to that party and yes, I do my best to focus on the people, but heck I want to eat too. So for me, eating prior just doesn't work. I look around and pick out the healthiest things. There's always some kind of salad or veggie thing happening.

I don't think it's okay to be a hungry sometimes. In fact I don't ever think it's okay to be hungry. For me, being hungry=disaster. So therefore, I just don't allow myself to get hungry. I eat frequently, even if it's just a few bites. So yup, I eat when I'm not even hungry.

I do eat breakfast, but not FIRST thing in the morning. Sometimes I eat 4 or 5 hours after waking up. I'm an early riser.

Everything in moderation DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. Just saying NO to some things is what works for me. Me and moderation - we are not friends .

I eat in the evenings, sometimes minutes before bed.

Variety is not something that I need. I am fine eating the same things over and over again, day after day.

I weigh myself everyday.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-26-2008 at 10:10 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 230/202/140

Height: 5'7"

I like this!

I dont do moderation. I have quite a few things I avoid entirely.

I don't drink 64oz of water a day.

I dont normally pick fat free over full fat.

I live on diet pepsi, and I always will.

I eat sodium, who cares? I never pay attention as most of my foods are fresh. I never add salt, just because I don't NEED to.

I love carbs and do not limit them (but I do try to pick whole grains and healthier options)

I don't have an eating cut off time.

I break every rule, I guess, but I'm still losing!
nicolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #45  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

the funny part is some of the "rules" that some people say they break are the opposite of the rules I say I break! There are no rules!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote