Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default old fashion scales vs digital scales.. ?¿

hi! to everyone.. my question for all of you is.. are the regular scales trusty? im asking this because i recall weighing myself at a few at the store and they all said different weights.. or are the digital scales the trusty ones. thanks.

Last edited by pinupdreams; 01-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #2  

As long as the scale is consistent with itself, it doesn't matter what this scale says versus what that scale says.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

MariaMaria is right--that's why people say you should choose one scale and stick with it. Also, try always to weigh at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes (or no clothes).

The important thing is the change over time, while using the same scale.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #4  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

I agree with PP, stick with one scale and look for change over time. That said, I like the digital ones better, because they weigh to 1/10 of a pound, and every tenth counts! LOL I don't have to wait for a whole pound to drop to see the scale come down.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #5  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Height: 5'7"

I got rid of my old non-digital scale because I felt like it wasn't accurate, but then found out that my new digital one was even less reliable. It will change readings as much as 3 or 4 pounds within minutes. I wish I had kept the old one.

I agree it makes sense to stick to one scale, but with mine, I'm not sure that's even going to give me a consistent reading. I have to say, I like the ones at the doctor's office. I don't like what it has to say, but at least I believe it!
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My analog scale would stick so it wasnt trustworthy. If your scale goes back to zero when you get off and reasonable repeats it is probably ok.

If you have to buy I would buy a midprice scale of a recognizable brand. In general, Digital scales do a better job of not DRIFTING over time, whether or not they are repeatable because they zero.

lol...or you could use my dad's method when he got older - only possible on an analog scale. He decided after one doctor's visit that he weighed 215 so he would just keep recalibrating his scale until his weight always read 215....man I loved that scale. I think by the time he passed away that scale was about 30 lbs off...
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Ennay, I have seriously thought about setting my scale so it reads my goal weight every time I get on it, and then calculating how far away I am from my goal when I get off. For some reason it seems like it might be more motivating. But I am crazy (or at least my kids say so...).

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote