Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #1  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Default too depressed to do anything

I am too depressed to do anything. I've tried working out instead of walking today but quit halfway through the workout video. I got the turbojam video and tried doing the lower bodyworkout. It wasn't hard, I just don't feel like doing anything today. Thought that it would help to workout but it didn't. I want to go back to feeling normal. I was soooo motivated yesterday after a run-in with my past but it went down the drain after a little "contention" with my DH last night. The contention wasn't directly toward my "past" but had to do alittle with the past. Need advice on how to get moving again and out of the depression.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #2  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 272/268/170

Height: 5'7

Don't worry about it girl... Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm sure you and your DH will work what ever happened out. Ultimatly- you are doing this journey for your self. Don't forget that. Make it motivate you to do your video. Even if you miss a day of exercise- make sure you stay on your diet and don't throw it ALL out the window. If you issue with your DH is bothering you that much- I hope you can work it out. HUGs your way!
Commit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

If the depression seems to be ongoing, are you seeing someone? There are lots of things people can do to help alleviate depression. Talking to your physician might help.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #4  
Trying it again....

it's not really what would be called ongoing, it's relation to my DH's PTSD. My depression is on and off. I have felt my best yesterday so far but totally down today. There are times when he has his PTSD moments and I can just let it go but there are times when it really eats at me and can't shake it off. Trying so hard to shake this one off. I tried doing a workout video but could only half of it. Will try the other half tonight and maybe it'll make me feel better. I hate my DH's emotional mood swings. Sometimes it gets the best of me.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #5  
determined

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5'11"

I know this probably isn't what you were hoping to hear but I think what you need is God. He really is the answer. You are His child and He thinks you are perfect.
You shouldn't work out to forget the past. You need to make peace with your past and move on. It helped me a lot depending on Jesus instead of a scale. Who cares what others think of you. God loves you and He wants you to see yourself how He sees you.

Proverbs 31:29-30
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
savanahfloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #6  
Trying it again....

I have God in my life. I'm not losing weight for my past, I'm aiming to look like my past. My past is kind of a motivation for me, it's not only the way I looked in the past, it's my past in general. It's something that is working for me, helping me work towards my goal. Yeah, I don't care what others think of me, I'm doing this for me and no one else. It's how I want to look for myself, hence the signature under my username---doing it for myself!! Thanks for all the support.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey tkglenn,

The really good thing is that you started your workout, even when you weren't feeling like it. Yeah, you stopped... but the fact that you started is a good thing!

Every day is a new start--you'll feel better! Your DH will move beyond his difficulties--and whether he does or not, you can still help yourself. You're a stronger person than you realize... And you're doing so well so far!

Hang in there, tk! We are rooting for you!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow, it's hard when your DH has mood swings. I know I am definitely affected by my hubby's moods. Don't give up on yourself -- keep trying!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Hope things are brighter for you soon.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

tk, I hope you are feeling better about things. I know it is difficult when your loved one has PTSD. My DH suffers from it also and it makes things strained when he is having a problem with it.

You are making a good start on your way to a healthier you and I wish you the very best. I also used how I looked in the past as part of my motivation to restore my body to it's former self.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #11  
Trying it again....

how have you dealt with his ptsd? it's so hard. most of the time i can just let it roll off my shoulders but sometimes it really hits me hard and i start eating all the sweets in the house. how do you deal with the depression and stress from it?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #12  
lilybelle

My husband was the 2nd police officer on the scene at the OK City Bombing. He didn't go to any post traumatic stress counseling that the Highway Patrol did offer. I can usually tell when his PTSD is bothering him. He will have insomnia or be very restless and moody. I've tried engaging him in activities that he enjoys such as fishing, golfing, karaoke and such when he is feeling down. It doesn't always work. Sometimes it just takes a day or two and then he will act fine. He is finally now getting counseling and it seems to stir up a lot of emotions for him. Just last Saturday he was having a rough day. I suggested that he go play golf with his friends while I went to the gym to work out. Sometimes just a little time apart is what we need when the tension gets uncomfortably high. That same day I noticed an increased desire to eat uncontrollably and I recognized what was causing me to want to grab for chips and cookies and stopped myself in time. More than once I've just put my dog on a leash and went for a long walk to give myself a break from it all.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8

Seconding what Lillybelle says about going for a walk when things are getting to you. No one in my family's officially been diagnosed with PTSD, but there's been fairly extensive exposure to violence/traumatic events (one grandfather was a medic in WWII) and between generational differences and aversion to therapy, self medication (alcohol) has been the choice of many of those effected to deal with it. And/or lashing out at those around them.

I had to deal with this while caring for an ill family member out of town awhile back. Fortunately, I packed my sneakers & had my workout tunes at the ready. Instead of hitting the ice cream, I hit the pavement. It does feel a lot better to walk it off than to eat it off. Though it is hard to change/break that pattern.

Last edited by nylisa; 01-12-2008 at 11:50 AM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #14  
Trying it again....

Yeah, i did that yesterday. Instead of eating, like how I would normally do it, i tried extremely hard to workout, even if it was just half of a workout video, it got my mind off of the tension. The tension was still there but it helped me overcome the stress of it. I finished my workout before I went to bed and now my legs are killing me today. I'm extremely tired today but I have to keep moving. lilybelle-sorry about your husband being the 2nd officer on scene. It must be hard for him. thanks everyone for your support.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #15  
lilybelle

tk, great job in finishing your workout.

Like nylisa mentioned, sometimes my DH will drown his sorrows in alcohol! Not something that I particularly approve of. One thing that I think has helped him is that he is now out of his stessful Trooper work and is working in the Oil Field. That seemed to be a good change for him.