Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #1  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default My New Plan-- Just need the follow-through!

I just feel like I need to vocalize my new years plan in order to affirm to myself that I'm going to follow through with it! :

I'm a fairly busy uni student who is totally wrapped up in school and work. My job is to live in uni residence with first year students and act as a resource and uphold the rules-- no drinking games, no beer bottles, quiet hours, etc.

One of the problems is that living in residence leaves me with next to no kitchen facilities of my own, and temptations galore. Vending machines further than the eye can see and hamburgers, chips and fries lining the halls.

My BIGGEST problem however I think is a lack of exercise. Once or twice a week I have 8 pm until 8 am "on-call" shifts where we have to conduct two sets of "rounds" through the building. The residence that I live in is based on towers, though, and has HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of stairs. I get so embarrassed when I can't keep up with my on-call co-workers when they're booking it up and down the stairs all around residence.

My Plan:
What I've decided to do, is in addition to two weekday gym trips is start walking the residence in the evening. You can't even imagine how many stairs this building actually entails; it's 10 flights of stairs in 12 separate towers! I'm gonna try to find a couple of buddies who feel like joining in my little evening walks around the building and maybe get a pedometer so I can see just how much extra work I'm doing!

What do we think??
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think that taking your current location, and situation, and making an exercise routine out of it-is wonderful!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ahhh. Making lemonade out of lemons. It COULD work. It really, really could. Good luck!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

good heavens! when you're on this 12 hour call, is it possible to get any sleep at all????!!!!!!! 12 towers! 10 flights of stairs!!! 2 rounds a night!!!!

makes me want to take a nap.

seriously, though. your plan sounds like a good one - the pedometer should help you keep focused and let you know how much you're moving.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #5  
Queen Yo-yo

*laughs* During exams it's possible to get sleep, because none of the 400 residents of the building make a peep!

On a Saturday night however, I get a nice 4 am bedtime!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Jelbb - What a great way to get in some extra exercise! I do something similar...I work from home, so when my schedule is tight and getting a big workout isn't going to be possible, I stay in my gym clothes all day and go for 10 minute bursts of activity whenever I get a break.

It is all about making it work for you! Congrats on turning what could be a barrier into a seriously solid plan!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #7  
Queen Yo-yo

Hehe, thanks! I did my first run up and down a bunch of the flights of stairs tonight. My calves are burning, I'm boiling hot and sweating up a storm.. but I feel great, and for the first time like I might actually accomplish my goals this time!!