It been awhile

• I need to get my but in gear .I know what I need too do .I just have not done it .I have a head cold right now .been very sleepy.Which I sure partly because of what I eatting .I need to do this for me.I like to be able to be able to paint my toe nails with out a probelm.I do not want to buy any bigger sizes in clothes.I just need to do it.how did you do IT
  • Hi there!! Welcome!

I've got a cold right now too -- I'm sucking down tea and trying to rest and get in some nutritious food!

How do you do it? I guess, like Nike says, you just do. I think this process can be daunting for a lot of people. I started slowly. I decided to bring my lunch and snacks to work everyday and focus on portions. That almost all I did the first month. I was serious about it, however, and really thought about everything I was eating. Once you get started, there are so many rewards along the way...

Do you have a plan in mind to get started?
  • Oh man, I feel you! It is rare for me to sleep over 7 hours in a night, and my post holiday crash FINALLY came, in the form of a nasty cold and 13 hours STRAIGHT of sleep last night. Taking it easy today (clearly my body needs it!).

You do it by making a plan and sticking to it, no matter what. That's the short answer. The long answer - there are many plans, but all of them do the same thing - make you eat less calories than you burn. So you eat less, increase your exercise, and maybe try to get some nutrition plans in there. You plan what you're going to eat, make sure it works with your goals, and move forward. Every day, you make those same good choices. Eventually, you get to your goal!
  • For me the starting point was research as to how to start. I didn't end up doing anything too complicated, I counted calories. I also started walking. Not a lot at first, only like a half an hour a day. I built on that by going faster and longer as it got easier.

You don't have to do everything perfectly, just make better choices most of the time.

Hope all of you feel better soon!!
  • i remember a few years ago i wanted to lose weight. I was working for a doctors office. They had these hand outs that had diet plans in 1800, 1500 and 1200 ranges. But the foods they had, i just couldn't see eating. I mean come on....a slice of wheat toast for breakfast, half a grapefruit and a cup of black coffee??? That was not for me. I didn't like any of the foods they had on those list.

Finally when i decided to get serious...i realized it had to be something i can do for life. It had to include things i like. I like chicken...so i eat alot of chicken. I like yogurt..so i eat yogurt just about every day. I like bananas...so i eat bananas just about every day. It was about finding the foods that i like to eat...and checking how many calories were in a serving and adding up all my foods and finding the correct portions to fit my calorie range. I still eat out too. I can have mcdonalds but i can't have two mcdonalds meals in one day. If i have mcdonalds for lunch, then i have to eat light meals for breakfast and dinner. And i love having lean cruisines for lunch some days too. Actually...that's how i began my first year. I ate eggs for breakfast cooked in pam...not butter. I had a healthy choice or lean cruisine for lunch and chicken breast and a veggie for dinner. I also included a midmorning snack, usually a banana and a mid afternoon snack...usually a yogurt. It was all about making choices i could live with everyday. Eventually, i quit using real eggs and switched to egg whites (out of a carton...no way i am separating real eggs everyday...lol). Also...i started out with walking on my lunch break every day for 30 minutes. I figured i sit all day long at my job...did i have to sit for my whole lunch hour too???
  • Thank you all