Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default New Year, healthy shopping list ideas

Happy New Year, 3FC'ers!

I've been in a real slump (for about 2 months) and have gained back about 8 lbs. I feel like crud, and like many others, I'm motivated to renew my commitment to a healthy lifestyle. I would love some others' ideas as to what I can add to my shopping list today.

I am trying to eliminate or at least drastically diminish unwholesome foods. Today was my first day with no Splenda in my coffee, and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My list so far includes:

eggs
low fat feta
lemons - I want to drink LOTS of lemon water in the upcoming week to try to flush out some of the mess that's in my body now!
brocoli
chicken - natural, free range
whole wheat tortillas
green tea (any favorite brands out there for green tea?)
beans (not sure what kind) for soup

I would also love any healthy and easy crock pot recipes - I have a very nice crock pot that I almost never use --it's going to be a long cold month, and some warm comfort food would be excellent!

Let me hear your ideas, and best wishes for a great '08! Thanks!!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

On the Weight Watchers website the message boards are free.Check out the Recipe Review board,there are tons of crockpot recipes on it,and you know they will be healthy.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

How about...

- yogurt
- nuts
- cottage cheese
- veggies for that great egg white/feta omelet in your future!
- brown rice
- squash or sweet potatoes

Last edited by Heather; 01-01-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Healthy tops on my list are:

Whole grain thin sliced bread (toasted) with natural peanut butter
Hummus
Yogurt and berries
veggies, veggies, veggies, roasted!
Homemade soup

Here is my favorite soup at the moment, from Gourmet Magazine, and it is beeeautiful with that poached egg floating on top:

Quote:
Vegetable Barley Soup with Poached Egg

1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms (I use thin sliced button mushrooms)
1 teaspoon chopped thyme (basil is also a good substitute)
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic)
1 qt vegetable stock or broth (I use 'no chicken - chicken broth)
3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
5 ounces baby spinach (8 cups)
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar (optional)
4 large eggs (optional)

Garnish: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Preparation

Cook onion and garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt in oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, discard stems from mushrooms. Halve caps, then thinly slice crosswise. Add mushrooms and thyme to onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, stock, barley, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and simmer briskly, covered, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 1 minute, then season with salt.

Meanwhile (if using eggs), bring 2 quarts water to a simmer with vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt in a wide medium saucepan.

Break 1 egg into a cup and slide into water. Repeat with remaining eggs, spacing evenly. Poach at a bare simmer until whites are firm and yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon.

Serve soup in bowls, topped with eggs.

Cooks' note: The (optional) eggs in this recipe will not be fully cooked, which may be of concern if salmonella is a problem in your area.

Nutritional InformationPer serving:

300 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated), 211mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 13g protein (nutritional analysis provided by Nutrition Data)
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  

These are some great ideas!

Thanks and keep the ideas coming!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Today was my first day of Tea without Splenda. I've definitely been overdoing it a bit and have made a vow to cut back. It wasn't bad either.

-canned tuna in water
-Fresh salmon, freezes beautifully
-whole grain rice cakes
-Veggie Burger products
-canned tomatoes and tomato paste, great in recipes
-distilled vinegar
-balsamic vinegar
-red lentils
-Fiber One Cereal
-fresh heads of garlic
-cooking spray
- I'm with Jennifer on this one - Veggies, veggies and MORE veggies - such as
-red cabbage, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, winter squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, zuccini, broccoli, onions, avocado
-hummus

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-01-2008 at 12:56 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #7  
Mel

My favorite crock pot standby is ground turkey-black bean chili. I cook the ground turkey breast in a skillet first, then transfer to the crock pot with a can of tomato paste, a jar or classico tomato and basil sauce, a couple of cans of different kinds of beans: garbanzo, black beans, kidney beans, some diced onion, garlic, chili powder, etc. Turn it on and ignore for a few hours.

I make a HUGE pot and freeze half of it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/170/160

Height: 5'10"

Some of my staples are:

Raisins-These do wonders when I want something sweet!
Sahara 4" whole wheat pitas- they can be used for sandwiches, burgers or whatever your imagination dreams up!
Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal-with 7grams of protein and 6grams of fiber it keeps me full. I add a piece of fruit with it in the morning for a great breakfast. It can be pricey but, Wal-Mart to the rescue!
Jell-O's Sugar Free-Fat Free pudding mix--A great treat when made with low-fat or fat free milk!
Morning Star's Veggie "Chicken" products or Veggie Burgers-Delish!

The best and biggest help though...arm yourself with healthy cookbooks or reciepes from the web!
ViolinJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone - these are really great ideas. I am going to put Mel's chili recipe down to try this weekend. I also found a good Cooking Light crockpot recipe that calls for Boca sausage, great northern beans, and tomatoes. I thought it sounded yummy, and calories weren't bad. I'll let ya'll know if it turns out to be a tasty dish.

I'm off to the store... thanks again... I really needed to hear some ideas, and I love all of these!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

From Costco:
Oatmeal - big box - lasts forever - there will be no excuse for not eating a healthy breakfast.
Big container of little red, orange and yellow sweet peppers - for salads and grilling. Cute and pretty.
6 pac of romaine lettuce - this keeps very well

From Trader Joe:

Salad dressings - Fat free balsamic vinegar, FF ginger/soy/ sesame, and low fat raspberry.

light chevre (goat cheese)

house brand of Greek style yogurt

Trader Joe's original multi grain savory thins - they have at least two different kinds that look alike, but this is the one that is low-cal, so be sure to check.

Trader Joe's 71% Swiss chocolate. A buck a bar. 24 cal/little square

A little package of sprouted greens, called "Micro-greens". At least some of it is radish sprouts. Really nice on a salad or on an omlette.

Found at Wal-Mart - Hormel's 50% less fat real bacon bits - $1.89 per jar

At the grocery - Jennie-O turkey burgers and turkey Italian sausage and ground turkey. They put something in the turkey burgers that make them taste better than other brands I have tried. It says "Original with flavoring" - no more explanation. They also make a seasoned burger which I have not tried. I use the bulk ground turkey to make Ina Garten's gigantic turkey meatloaf. I cook it and freeze in slices for turkey meatloaf sandwiches. I use a third to a half of a sweet Italian sausage cooked and crumbled over my omlette. Yum.

Chicken breast - I poach a bunch of them at once, cut up and freeze on a tray, then dump in a freezer bag. That way you can just grab some for a chicken sandwich or salad or whatever strikes your fancy.

Light sour cream

Canned white and black beans for chili.

Fresh Broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash, spinach, asparagus, artichokes, brussels sprouts, green beans, edamame, apples, any fruit in season.

Frozen raspberries, blackberries.

Small potatoes - about the size of a big egg

Ben and Jerry by the gallon......Just kidding/wishing

Good heavens, I forgot tomatoes which I eat by the dozens!

And I forgot one of my very favorites: French's Wasabi flavored light mayo. Nightengaleshane recommended this. I tried it and I love it. The only place I have seen it is at a super Wal-Mart in southern CA, and at Meijer's in Ann Arbor. Not at any local grocery stores. Wierd.

Last edited by gailr42; 01-01-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spellling
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Gail -- You're like me. I sometimes think that I alternate shopping at 27 different stores, because each one has one item I must have that's different from the others!

as an aside, I tried the trader's joe's lite chevre cheese just the other day and loved it! Another to add to my regular TJs list (I swear it gets longer all the time!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yeah, I hope I can maintain my interest in shopping at 27 different stores. I do it because I insist on eating food that I really, really like. I know that is the only chance I have of sticking with this thing!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #13  

Gail - great list! Thank goodness we do have a Trader Joe! I'm going to look for that Wasabi mayo at my Walmart - you never know - they may have it.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #14  

Height: 5'1"

Gewwat list, i found several new items I want to try. I love trader Joe's. You can find some really unusual things there. A few things I "can't live (or diet) without are:
Aunt Millie's 12 grain bread
animal crackers
bocca burgers with low cal buns
100 calorie packs, lots of different choices now
fiber one bars, loaded with fiber and actually taste good. I keep them in the
car for when I'm out and starving. they have saved me a lot of MickeyD
stops.
peanut butter
vegetables, lots and lots....try some new ones! frozen are cheaper and ok
fruit....again, try some new ones.
beans, love em, and they are cheap and easy.
soup. canned ones are ok, watch the calories, but homemade is easy and
you get to controle what's in them.

Crock pots are great and you can go online and find some really good recipes. Have you looked here?

That black bean soup sounds really good, I'm going to try that!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/165/140

Frozen mixed fruit in a bag.

For breakfast, take a small amount (half a cup or so), put it in the blender with skim milk and protein powder, and have a great fruit smoothie! I'm having one now! Yum!
HiJinx is offline   Reply With Quote