Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Does Anyone Have A Remedy For Me???

Alright, I have an issue. This is my first TOM since I started dieting. So, I don't know my body that well to NOT get depressed when I see that scale go up from water weight. Does anyone have any suggestions or remedies to help with excess water weight when it gets close that TOM? I've heard in passing of some water pills that help with bloating and that excess water. Has anyone heard of these too? Or taken these? Or does anyone have any of advice? Or should I just learn to suffer?
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #2  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I'd say just accept it. Skip that weeks weigh-in but try not to eat off plan, oh and still exercise (I know some people have stated they don't feel up to it, but even a brisk walk is good).

That's what I do. Hope it helps!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have advice, but you're not gonna like it

Water pills will actually make TOM-related bloating worse. Bloating comes from the mineral concentrations in your bloodstream being too high. Taking a pill to pull water out from your system is only going to increase the concentration, so that when you stop taking the pill, you bloat right back up again...sad but true. The best way to minimize water retention is to drink plenty of water.

That being said, my advice to you is to relax a little. The scale going up by 1-5 lbs for 2-3 days, when you ate on plan the day before, shouldn't freak you out. Our bodies fluctuate. It is the nature of the beast, and as you stay longer on this journey, you'll come to realize that sometimes, no matter WHAT you do, how hard you exercise, what time of the month it is, or what you've eaten, the scale goes inexplicably up. Learn early and learn well - if you are doing the very best you can, the scale should NEVER, in my opinion, make you depressed.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 12-19-2007 at 10:33 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

You just need to relax a little. I can be up anywhere between 2 to 6lbs for the few days before my dot until a few days into my dot.
That is the reason why I don't do my weigh in for at least 3 days before the dot and up till 3 days after it has started. The good news is, it all goes away.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just thought of something that really stuck well with me while I was washing dishes...we use the scale not because it is the most ACCURATE way to measure our successes, but because it is the most convenient.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #6  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I've got TOM right now - I have been eating healthy since end of September 2007 and have gone thru a few of these. I find the only thing worth while is to drink lots of water. I was sick for about 9 days before TOM came, I lost a few lbs. due to being sick and not eating....TOM came and I gained them all back plus a few...actually, I started gaining about 3 days before TOM. This is my routine...the only way for me to get rid of it (I have been complaining to my mom all week long!) is to drink TONS of WATER!!! I agree with Amanda as well...drink drink drink the clear good stuff. Today I have had 10 servings and feel so much better than yesterday, my tummy is going down & am sure that the scale will too.

***I actually lose a couple of lbs. extra right when my TOM is ending...I kinda fall into a love/hate relationship...gain at first then lose a few extra @ the end....
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I just thought of something that really stuck well with me while I was washing dishes...we use the scale not because it is the most ACCURATE way to measure our successes, but because it is the most convenient.
SO TRUE!!!!!

It really isn't a great measure of what we want to see: fat loss.

Just because the scale goes up doesn't mean we've gained fat, and even when it goes down, we don't know we've lost fat. In fact, when we're losing weight we lose fat and muscle and water.

Overall I think the best advice is to relax about scale fluctuations and take a bigger picture view of our progress. How do your clothes fit? How do you feel? How much energy do you have? These may be better measures than the scale in some respects...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Thank you all! You helped me so much! You're right and I know that, I was just freaking out at first. I just need to relax and stop being so emotional (which is ESPECIALLY hard during this time). Thank you again!
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #9  
Happy Holidays!

S/C/G: 174/154/135

Height: 5' 2 1/4"

I get extremely bloated during that TOM, and actually Midol, which I take for cramping helps with bloating (contains a diuretic), and all kinds of things! My sister and I both do well taking diurex "water pills". I hold excess water and 1-2 times a month I use diurex to rid of the excess electrolytes my body is holding on to. I feel so relieved the next day, and as far as I know it hasn't caused me to lose any weight when I take them, just give me some relief. Be careful taking OTC meds though, consulting a doctor first is always a MUST!!!
short1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #10  
Jody -- Blue team

S/C/G: 205/ticker/145

Height: 5'4''

I drink hot water with 1 to 2 lemon wedges squeezed in. It helps with the bloating and the excess weight during TOM.
joliren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8

Lots of water & fresh fruit seems to help somewhat. And I know it's hard with PMS cravings, but try to watch the sodium around then.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

also start measuring yourself. It will help even when it isn't tom. Many times (esp once i started wt training) i went a few wks without a wt loss...but loss inches...to me dropping a pants size is more rewarding that a number. So hang in there...relax...we all have wt flucuations. Start taking measurements so on those weeks you don't loose, but feel as if you did good..then take your measurements and see if you've lost in inches...good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #13  
Happy Holidays!

S/C/G: 174/154/135

Height: 5' 2 1/4"

I love learning about new remedies....hot water and lemons? I love lemon so I'll try it!
short1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

leanmoomercows--

What I do is when I know mine's on the way, I don't weigh myself the week I have it, and then wait until my next scheduled weigh in AFTER TOM.

I just keep chuggin' along and don't worry about it. It's a natural fact of being a woman, take the time off, don't freak out about it, and keep working out/eating healthier and you'll more than likely see a surprise weight loss drop on the scale when you're done

**I tend to think of it as an award, how much I will lose for not weighing myself 2 weeks in a row
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote