3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Adding powdered fiber? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/129111-adding-powdered-fiber.html)

ThePrettyOne 12-18-2007 02:29 PM

Adding powdered fiber?

Do any of you add fiber, like FiberSure, to your foods on a regular basis? I try to get more fiber than I used to, and have physillium husks but I can't get into a routine with them (and I HATE pills). I cook for msyelf alot so I was thinking I could easily add a spoonful to my food. Does it change the taste?

mandalinn82 12-18-2007 02:33 PM

I don't, personally. I've never had a problem hitting the fiber recommendations (or usually above) with diet. From what I've read and heard, though, the fiber supplements you stir into food don't usually change the flavor, but they may alter the texture somewhat, depending on how much you use and what you are using them in.

practiceliving 12-18-2007 02:41 PM

My dad uses them all the time! I think he prefers Benefibre, which he says disappears into OJ or water or food easily.

nelie 12-18-2007 03:58 PM

I don't use any fiber supplements. I get lots of fiber naturally from my diet though (50 grams or more per day)

SoulBliss 12-18-2007 04:30 PM

^^Yeah, me too.

Have you tried hemp protein powder? It's good in smoothies and has a LOT of fiber!!!

gailr42 12-18-2007 04:52 PM

Aren't psyllium husks in Metamucil? I used to take that when I dieted because needed it.....

I notice that Fitday doesn't say anything about fiber. How do I know how much I need? I eat lots of fruits and veggies along with my daily dose of oatmeal, so I suspect I am getting enough.

JayEll 12-18-2007 05:21 PM

Benefiber is what I use if I want to supplement. It has no taste, no grit, dissolves completely. I believe the recommendation is 30 gms fiber a day. My FitDay (downloaded version) tracks the fiber in foods, so I know I usually get less than I should.

But, if you eat your fruits and vegetables... you will get more fiber without having to buy a supplement. Also, some people like Fiber One cereal (if it's allowed on your program).

Jay

ennay 12-18-2007 06:41 PM

Fiber-sure dissolves completely and is totally texture and taste free. I dont use it for myself, but I do use it sometimes for my family. I've added it to yogurt, juice, & cookies and stuff to get fiber into my "if it isnt cheese I wont eat it" daughter when she is going through a particularly stubborn phase. We have to be very cautious about letting her get constipated.

I would prefer to get my fiber from real foods. I would prefer she would too, but you can only do so much with a 3 year old.

junebug41 12-18-2007 07:08 PM

While I get plenty of fiber in my diet, I do have stomach issues and adding psyllium husks to my morning smoothie helps tremendously. It does tend to turn into a gel-like substance when it sits in liquid for more than a few minutes, but it generally doesn't bother me unless my DF doesn't rinse his glass and it is like glue ;)

j45rpm 12-18-2007 09:07 PM

Benefiber is terrific-I find it to be tasteless in water. :)

JayEll 12-18-2007 09:22 PM

j45rpm, :wel3fc:

Roosters welcome!

Jay

AmberD 12-18-2007 09:50 PM

When I am feeling less than regular, I'll put benefiber in my morning coffee for a few mornings. I can't tell it's there.

ThePrettyOne 12-19-2007 12:30 PM

I don't eat much fruit. Some days I wiil, but most, not so much. I hate sweets, but I try!! I try to eat veggies everyday, but I still don't think it's nearly enough most days. Also, I don't always go to the bathroom as often as I would like, cough cough, so anything to move that process along, no pun intended, would be welcome!!!

I know there are things I could be eating, like FiberOne, but I hate the taste. I would rather add something to food I do like than have to eat foods I don't :)

JayEll 12-19-2007 01:27 PM

Then things like benefiber are for you!

Jay

ennay 12-19-2007 01:36 PM

yup. Keep working on those veggies, but in the mean time...add some fiber.

Benefiber is wheat dexetrin and has 3 g of fiber for 2 teaspoons

Fibersure is inulin (extracted from chicory) and has 5g fiber for 1 "heaping teaspoon" whatever that measurement means!

In either case start slowly, adding too much fiber too quickly can be painful, and make sure you drink plenty of water on a high fiber diet or you can actually make constipation worse.