What do you use for motivation?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I would love it if everyone would let me know what they do to keep themselves motivated. Hopefully it will help me find something that I can do to keep me going.
  • Well... there are lots of things, but standing in front of a mirror without my clothes on and asking myself "Are you still overweight?" usually does it. Because I am!

Wanting to see the number on the scale drop is motivating for me also. I've been stalled for a few weeks now.

The fact that my fasting blood glucose went from 109 to 87 after losing weight and exercising 5-6 days a week also has been great motivation!

Having to buy new clothes because I can no longer wear my old, big ones is great motivation! And reward!

That's all I can think of right now... more if I come up with them!

Jay
  • Motivation is fleeting, so I depend on organization and routine to keep me on track. I have a plan for eating and exercise each week that I stick to. If for whatever reason I don't stick to it, I usually feel guilty. So the guilt I guess is somewhat motivating.

It's not exactly what I would consider "body image healthy" but the images in fitness magazines also motivate me to work out harder, and eat better.

More than motivation is the knowledge of how I will feel if I DON'T stick to my plan!! Not good!
  • I have a picture of the wedding dress I want to get for my March 2008 wedding... it comes in my current size but that's clearly NOT what the model is wearing!

I also have a pair of jeans I used to toss on for cleaning the house, going out to grab a sandwich, etc. that are 5 sizes smaller than I am currenty to remind me of what is possible if I get back to eating right and exercising.

Nothing motivates me for success like success- I also hop on the scale every 1-3 days.
  • I used to check out a new nutrition/diet book at the library every few weeks. The reading kept me focused. I stayed within the realm of the "plan" I was on so that I didn't get confused by other "plans." In fact, that's how I found out about 3fc. I read the book first!
  • i like the idea of continually reading new weightloss literature, that's a good idea because I always read the magazines. I think I am going to read in the morning for a while instead of at night and see if that helps motivate me better. It seems that I go to be motivated and then wake up and blow it!

I like to window shop for ideas for clothes that I want to fit in to or be able to wear more confidently in at least a size smaller.

Hmm...i'm not good at staying motivated, but if I do find something that really really helps me, I'll be sure to let you know!!
  • zenor-thanks for having a link to your fitday! I haven't had time to set up and account and i've been wondering how it shows your information and what exactly it would do for me! It looks clearly outlined so I think I'll check it out!
  • Right now, I'm with the look in the mirror approach! I've actually been forcing myself to look at more than just my cute face in the mirror so I can stay aware of why I'm changing my life
  • Motivation comes and goes, but the commitment I made to give back everything I took from myself by overeating remains. Some days the motivation is so strong, I don't consider straying from my plan. Other days, I am hanging by a fingernail, and have to constantly remind myself why I am doing this.
  • Thank you everyone! like always, everyone has amazing advice...now lets see if I can actually take it :-)
  • Quote: Thank you everyone! like always, everyone has amazing advice...now lets see if I can actually take it :-)
    you can!!
    I WAS using a pair of old jeans - a "truer" size 12 than what you can get at many stores now due to rampant vanity sizing.. they were my first goal...they last fit when i was around 170... due to upping my exercise and building more muscle they fit me NOW. i'm 18lbs heavier now than when i wore them last but my measurements are almost the same as they were at 170... it makes me feel GREAT to wear them... but now i need a new motivator!! just the fact that i've never been smaller than a size 10 in my adult life and not only am i almost there but i AM going to "exceed" that goal is plenty for me!
  • What's this 'truer' sizing? Anyway, I think that I need to LIVE on this thread for a while, because I just am super isolated and continually forget about my focus. How can one just forget? I don't know, but it seems to happen most days between 11am. -- 4pm. Another reason I'm super isolated, is kind of quirky > it's because I abstain from media. Media has helped my selfimage become very unhealthy in my teens, and through my 20's I just learned to look the other way. It's not for everybody, but it's something I've had to do to survive in such a superficial world of looks and fashion and cosmetics. I know, I'm very much like my Title, a hermit. I do think this forum helps, for it continually reminds me that I'm trying to do something about this condition.

BattleAx said : "Motivation comes and goes, but the commitment I made to give back everything I took from myself by overeating remains. Some days the motivation is so strong, I don't consider straying from my plan. Other days, I am hanging by a fingernail, and have to constantly remind myself why I am doing this." and I couldn't feel more like her. IT is a cruel thing I've done to myself, nearly in total sabotage. I had so much going that depends on my physical fitness, and well, I just have thrown it all off of a cliff. Getting it back is way harder than throwing it off. Geez.
  • My pre-pregnancy body is my motivation!
  • I lost 70 lbs in 2004. The one and only pic I have of myself at that time is my motivation, because due to medication I have gained it all back and then some.
  • My short-term motivation is my engagement ring, which I've been unable to wear since I got married because wearing both bands hurts my chubby fingers! I'd love to be able to wear it again. Long-term motivation is health (no-brainer).

I guess what keeps me motivated aside from wanting to wear my ring again is reading and writing about diet and nutrition and health, as someone above mentioned. I have a couple of good magazines laying around, plus there's the internet and these forums, and I think keeping a blog keeps those pertinent topics at the forefront of my brain so I'm always thinking of making healthy choices.

Sounds like a lot of brain power involved but I swear it's not