3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What kind of lunch box do you have? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/128484-what-kind-lunch-box-do-you-have.html)

cbmare 12-07-2007 04:50 PM

What kind of lunch box do you have?

Part of the success of weight loss is to quit going out to restaurants. We all know that. Even the supposedly low cal/fat/carb etc are not so in most cases.

I've been bringing my lunches for quite some time. However, I want to do something different in how I bring them to work. It is quite cumbersome to have several containers in those plastic bags. I'd like something that is a bit more solid but not the size of Montana.

What do you use? Where did you get it?

TIA

zenor77 12-07-2007 05:02 PM

I don't have it yet, but DH and I are buying each other ToGo Ware for Christmas. It's a take on the Eastern Indian tiffin lunch box. It's stainless steel ant has two generous compartments that hook together. Plus you can get it with a set of washable bamboo utensils. You can order them online through amazon or google ToGo ware and it'll pop up.

just_a_dreamy1 12-07-2007 05:25 PM

I just use a medium sized tote bag that I got for free from my work. It makes such a differance! People can't see what's in the bag, so I don't have to feel awkward about bringing my lunch into an office where everyone else goes out (I've been in those environments!) and I can bring the funkiest food without sparing a thought to other people wondering.
I used to use plastic bags. They are so flimsy! Now I can carry a full bottle of water, a couple of tupperware containers, my work flats, and some papers, and it all fits! I love it.

Glory87 12-07-2007 05:40 PM

Hee - plastic grocery store bag! At least they are free and I'm recycling!

chick_in_the_hat 12-07-2007 05:42 PM

I have an insulated box that I got from Target. It ws like 5 bux. It's big enuf to fit a six pak, I have a bunch of glad ware that I use to bring lettuce, a couple soda's fit on top, a yogurt cup on the side and a small container for dressing. A wrap on top of that, an ice pack if it's warm. Water I carry separate. The box also has a pocket on the front for badge/phone/keys...and another expandable compartment that isn't insulated on top. I rarely expand the thing on the top.

cbmare 12-07-2007 05:52 PM

Glory - :lol:

Gina - it's good to see you posting again. I'll have to look at Target. I didn't find anything at Walmart today.

Thanks to all for the responses.

slim n up 12-07-2007 07:53 PM

I use an insulated lunch bag that I got at walmart, when all the kids are getting ready for school. Everyother week I use that and a plastic grocery bag as I work 12.5 hr shifts that week, and I start work at 5am, and don't get done until 5:30 or 6:00, so I need enough room for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I am the kitchen manager at a county jail, and I can eat at work for free, but I don't allow myself to, even though there is healthy food. If I limit myself to the food I bring I know my calorie intake, and I am not tempted to eat the food that I shouldn't. And so far so good.

Wilma

Heather 12-07-2007 08:10 PM

Bringing lunches and snacks to work is a BIG part of my ongoing success.

I have an insulated container I bring. I love it.

BillBlueEyes 12-07-2007 08:37 PM

Briefcase lunch box

I use a canvas brief case to hold the Glad ware containers for my lunch. A second briefcase doesn't look odd in my environment, and it's plenty big for:

a 2.9 cup container for main dish (e.g. leftover spaghetti squash with Mariano sauce)
a 2.9 cup container for side of vegetable, when available (e.g. left over kale and swiss chard with feta cheese)
a 7 cup container of raw salad stuff - Romain lettuce, cukes, sugar snaps, red pepper strips, cauliflower, as is available.
a 1 liter bottle of skim milk (stays in fridge at work for the week)
an opaque plastic bag containing carrots and a head of cabbage (stays in fridge at work for the week). I eat these if I don't bring enough other food.
a pint container with an apple for my afternoon snack.

Everything stays protected and no one knows that I'm carrying a gargantuan set of lunch containers.

cbmare 12-07-2007 08:43 PM

That does sound like a huge amount of food.

chick_in_the_hat 12-07-2007 09:24 PM

'Cause he's a dude.. :D
:hug: to you Mare!

BillBlueEyes 12-07-2007 09:33 PM

Lotta raw vegetables

LOL, It takes a lot of raw vegetables to get to 2100 calories a day. :D

lettingslenderin 12-07-2007 10:56 PM

We use these: http://www.laptoplunches.com for our daughters, and they have an adult version as well. These are great bento style lunchboxes with western appeal. The quality is exceptional and the products are tested to be nontoxic. It's easy to pack healthy, visually appealing meals.

One of my friend has the adult version, which is basically the kid version with a seventy dollar "bento bag". I'm doing MF, but you are inspring me to spring for one when I get closer to maintenance. I think I can do without the bento bag, but the insides and a sturdy insulated lunch kit work great. If you go, check out the pix of the amazing healthy lunches packed with the lunchboxes.

LindseyLouWho 12-07-2007 11:24 PM

I have an insulated bag I bought from Mimi the Sardine, since they're certified to be completely lead free. Apparently there is a small amount of lead necessary to produce the vinyl that is in most lunch bags you find at the store and a lot of lunch bags tested have more than the acceptable amount... not sure how big of a deal it is, but I figure better to be safe... haha.

Plus the bag is really cute. The one I have looks like a tiny tote bag and has brightly colored cartoony cats and flowers all over it

rockinrobin 12-08-2007 12:10 AM

I use an insulated bag that I bought from some a discount store. I use a number of different sized containters. I keep my various salads in them. I also have a little Rubbermaid container in which I empty out a carton of yogurt into and freeze and bring that along in my lunch bag. It keeps everything nice and cold.

I'd be lost without my good old lunch bag.