Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 05:12 PM   #1  
Senior Chick

Angry ~~Thru Thick and Thin~~ #131

Thru Thick & Thin is a group that was formed to give and receive support on our journey to take off the excess pounds and to keep them off. No matter who you are or where you are from, you're welcome here with us. We'll stand with you while you're losing and stand by you if you're not. We all have ups and downs and we need support in both.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:17 PM   #2  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey everyone.

It is so good to be on my own schedule again and not have to cater to someone else. I had a lot of things planned for today but only did about half of them. I was going to clean my fish tanks but might have to put that off for a while. I worked all day yesterday cleaning instead of being lazy like I had planned so I don't feel bad about getting a little lazy today.

Marybeth~A WW meeting with Fergie sounds so exciting. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and got to meet her. It is good to hear that she is as nice as she appeared to be. You and I weigh the same also but I am just too short. I can't even imagine snow right now as all my windows are open and I am barefooted. I just love this time of year here.

JoJo~You sure get knocked off line a lot. I tried to use AOL a few years ago and always got knocked off line as soon as I got on. I tried another service that was free for a trial period also and never lost the first connection. That's when I decided that I would never waste my time with AOL. I have very good service even out here in the woods. My parents left yesterday and I spent the whole day cleaning. Yuck Today is more like normal. If I don't get to a chore, it will be there tomorrow or the next day.

Marlana~Today was my day to put my feet up and watch that new TV. We spent the morning watching some of our home videos. I didn't get busy until after noon. Then we got a call from our friends needing help unloading some new furniture. Tomorrow we will help them move their things from the old place to the new. It shouldn't be too bad because they are moving from an RV into a 2 bedroom house. They have always spent the winters in the RV but it has gotten very crowded with 3 poodles and 2 German Shorthairs which are large dogs. Today is my second day back to a healthier way of eating. I haven't started my journal yet but have cut down on all the heavy foods.

Carol~It is good to hear from you. I'm glad that you are doing good and hope that it shows when you go to your meeting. Good Luck and thanks for the pep talk. I need all the help that I can get.

Jen~Now that is quiet when you can hear the snow hitting the trees. I enjoy the sounds of nature also in these woods. I love for it to be quiet enough for me to hear the squirrel's toenails in the trees. My husband walks around with his headset on listening to music but I'd rather here the birds.

Hope y'all have a good evening. I am going to go make some dreamcicle and fat free muffins, feed all my critters and fix some Lean Cuisine dinner with some brussel sprouts. Yummmm.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:37 AM   #3  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~I have some bad news this morning,I'm hungry! And I have some good news too, I'm hungry! So I'm going to write to you guys and go back to bed before I eat something I shouldn't.

Jen~~Bad news for you too, if the buds are coming out on the lilac bushes, they are going to get bit. The weather is pretty nice here too, and it's not that long until we should get some warmer days. In Feb. we have warm and cold days. Won't be long until I can start thanking of fish in the lake and not fish in a tank. You should get on of those meters, I bet you would be shocked at how for you walk everyday at work.

Marybeth~~Oh, why couldn't you have been lucky enough to have your picture taken with Fergie. Thank you for sharing the meeting with us. I know that must have been very exciting for all of you. To me she never really fit into the Royal Family, and for that she should feel grateful.

Skeeter~~You've been so busy the last week or so, that you've got me tired from reading about it. I know you must be glad to get home back. I was suppose to clean my Betta bowls on Monday and I still haven't got it done. The water is still clear, but I must get that done today. I never completely clean everything out on them now. I change out just half the water, now that I understand why the water was getting cloudy.

Tobey and Sally "WHERE ARE YOU???" It's bed time again. Have a nice day.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:44 AM   #4  

Hello All

Have you missed me? Feels like I have been gone forever! I did check the boards on Saturday but not much had gone up since I posted on Friday so I thought that I would wait until Sunday to post. Then, wouldn’t you know it, I couldn’t get in on Sunday!
The weekend was pretty busy. I don’t know if I ever mentioned that I was planning a ski trip for work. Well I spent most of Saturday and Sunday doing errands for that. And no – I didn’t make it my race. My ankle just wasn’t up to it and I didn’t want to do any further damage. So our office ski trip was on Monday. I had to get up at 5:00AM so I could be out the door by 5:45AM. I didn’t get back home until close to 9:30PM. I was beat! I let myself go in a little later to work yesterday. So I didn’t have a chance to post during the day. I had planned on posting in the evening but by the time dinner, dishes, etc. was done I was pooped! But I’m back now!
I survived skiing. It was my very first time. I am very good at falling – not so good at getting back up! It was really nice though. We rented a really nice tour bus and the company paid for everything including ski rentals and lessons for us newbies. I think I would even try it again some time.

Jen: I imagine that it would be very tough living with mom. I think that would be the case for anyone. Glad to hear that you are officially PT! Yippee! My mom also works “PT” in a nursing home. Often she ends up working 6 or 7 days a week because of the extra shifts. But the nice thing is that she is the one who decides to work those. Guess it is back to school for you today. I have decided to take a break from school. I am trying to step back assess what it is that I want right now. It sounds like your weather has been very close to ours. I can’t believe how warm it is! I finally started back running yesterday. I did 2 miles easy running on the treadmill. It had been over week! My ankle was a bit sore not bad at all. I am only going to do easy running this week so I don’t do anything worse to it.

Jojo: So sorry to hear about hubby’s job. It is getting really scary out there. So many companies are doing major lay-offs. One BIL is losing his job at the end of next month (at least they gave him warning so that he could have time to look) and the other BIL had to take a 10% cut in pay. At least he will be eligible for unemployment. However, if it is like Canada, I’m sure it won’t be anywhere close to what he was actually making.

Mb: Sounds like you had a busy weekend with your shows. Did you get a chance to try a batch of those muffins? That’s some crazy weather you are having there! You definitely have had more snow than us. There still isn’t even a flake on the ground. Today, since it is so warm, it is supposed to rain and be foggy. I don’t remember many Januarys with foggy days! I just read your posting on the super WW meeting. Wow that is soooo exciting. It sounds so wonderful. It sounds like Fergie is very down to earth. I’m not sure I would have expected that of her. That is so fantastic.!

Skeeter: So happy to hear that your tests came back so good! Are you starting to feel back to normal after your parents have left? I know that when I go to visit my mom, it is the same thing – you go to bed after midnight, get up before seven, and go, go, go all day! I need a vacation once I come back from that vacation! You should try baking those muffins. They are really quite easy. There truly isn’t that much difference between making them from a batter than from scratch. Just more measuring, that’s it.

Marlana: Glad to hear that you found a great pet store. If you hit the right one, they can be a real wealth of knowledge. Glad you enjoyed the muffins. The next I make them I am going to add in either raisins or blueberries. Actually this weekend I want to try a new muffin recipe. I have a copy of the recipe for the Starbucks Low Fat Blueberry Muffins that I want to try. Dh loves blueberry muffins – so I how they will be good. Have you redone the tanks yet? I hope that helps with your fish problem. Your hubby is on quite an exercise kick! Good for him. Hey that’s great that you are getting on the treadmill. I think the trick is to find something to distract yourself while doing it. Heck I’ll be the first to admit that the treadmill is boring!! You should see if you can watch TV or read while you are doing it (magazines are the easiest). You are right, the catch is to find a way to enjoy it and not too start dreading it! I hope hubby’s surgery went okay.

Sally: I just read your post about your ex’s answer. Some people just don’t get it do they?! He can’t afford a stamp, child support, he’s sick, can’t work, but he should have the kids? He really is insane, isn’t he! I’m sure he has no case and is just wasting everyone’s time and money. Can I say it? What a jerk!

Boss: Glad to hear that you are surviving. That’s a good plan to bring part of your own lunch when you are have a hot lunch at school. I never trust myself to eat at work so I spend a chunk of my evenings making a lunch plus snacks. I always seem to have a bag of food with me where I ever I go. I hope your weigh in is good.

Well I think I am all caught up. I sure miss you guys when I’m gone!! Especially when I don’t even get a chance to peek at the postings. But I think things should calm down now and I can get back to regular posts.

Tobey
Old 01-23-2002, 02:20 PM   #5  

What this? Two posts in one day?

I came across this article on Runner's World and just wanted to share it. Sorry if it is a little long.

Tobey

The Perfect Weight-Loss Day
by Mark Remy
Each day you face a hundred tiny weight-loss decisions. Here's how to make the right ones
An editorial in a recent issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition asks,"If humans represent the most intelligent form of life on this planet, why is it that they find it so difficult to make the apparently small adjustments in daily behavior that we calculate would halt the continuing rise in obesity?" Or, to be blunt: If we’re so smart, how come we’re so fat?

Good question.

If you ask me, it's because we're looking for weight loss in all the wrong places. Like so much else in life, the biggest threats aren’t always as plain as they seem. It’s the little things that’ll do you in: Take the escalator here, grab a jumbo soda there, skip a run, and before you know it you're being forklifted out of bed while a Fox camera crew captures the whole thing on tape.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. The point is that every day, from the time your clock radio rouses you to the moment you snap off your bedside light, you face a hundred tiny weight-loss choices. Some are more significant than others, but all of them add up. Over time, your choices shape you.

Literally.

Nobody expects you to make perfect choices all the time. But if you did, just for one day, it might look something like this:

6:45 a.m. Wake up slowly.
Frazzled is no way to start your day. “Many people overeat in response to stress,” says Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at Penn State University and author of Volumetrics: Feel Full on Fewer Calories. Give yourself a 30-minute buffer in the morning to relax and ease into your day. Spend 15 minutes doing yoga or meditation, or kicking back with the newspaper and a cup of tea. A stress-free morning will help set the tone for the rest of your day.

7:00 a.m. Get milk.
In a study of 54 people, those who consumed at least 1,000 milligrams a day of calcium (about 3 cups of nonfat milk) gained 6 to 7 fewer pounds over 2 years than did those on low-calcium diets.

7:20 a.m. Walk the dog.
Anybody who can’t get motivated to walk obviously doesn’t have a dog. Poochie will motivate you plenty when he parks himself beside your bed every morning, yipping and staring at you with those-well-puppy-dog eyes.

7:45 a.m. Get flaky.
No breakfast? Don’t even think about it. “Overweight people skip breakfast more than any other meal,” says Rolls. Have raisin bran or oatmeal; both are high in fiber. “Studies show that when you eat a high-fiber breakfast, you'll eat 100 to 150 fewer calories over breakfast and lunch,” she says

8:10 a.m. Perform a bypass.
If the shortest route to work passes a doughnut shop and two Burger Huts, then don’t take the shortest route to work. Why tempt yourself?

8:20 a.m. Walk to work.
Even if you drive to work, park several blocks away, then hoof it. Walk 10 minutes to the office every morning (and 10 minutes back to your car every evening), and you’ll burn an extra 20,000 calories per year. That’s more than 5 pounds of flab!

8:30 a.m. Step right up.
Elevators are for freight and fat people. Walking up two flights per day will burn 1,100 calories per year - another 1/3 pound of fat. Besides, when you take the stairs, it’s impossible to get stuck between floors with your boss.

8:35 a.m. Arrange a still life.
Place apples, oranges, bananas, or whatever fruit you like on your desk and vow to eat them all before you leave work. “The single easiest thing people can do every day to lose weight is to eat more fruits and vegetables,” says Kelly Brownell, Ph.D., director of the Yale Center for Eating and Weight Disorders at Yale University.

9:00 a.m. Leave the grounds.
Instead of coffee, go for green tea - it has compounds called polyphenols that may increase calorie burn, according to the International Journal of Obesity.

9:15 a.m. Can the spam.
Is your e-mail in-box crammed with offers for miracle weight-loss products? Delete them. Quickly. Among the “miracles” we recently saw for sale on the Web:

A weight-loss patch. Wear it on your butt, and the pounds melt away. Did we mention it’s made of seaweed?

Weight-loss essential oils. Blended under a full moon…(for) added energy from the tidal pull.”

Weight-reducing herbal tea. It tonifies the spleen qi” to chase away fat.

9:20 a.m. Log off.
Close your e-mail program, at least for a couple of hours. Have to talk to coworkers? Then go talk to them.We're growing fatter, as a society, partly because our everyday activity has declined due to modern technology,” says James Hill, Ph.D., director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

10:15 a.m. Break potty ranks.
When nature calls, instinct tells you to make a beeline for the nearest rest room. Ignore instinct for once, and use a more distant rest room - even if it's on another floor. You’ll burn a few more calories.

10:20 a.m. Stay stoked.
Snack time is key for runners, says Dan Benardot, Ph.D., R.D., author of Nutrition for Serious Athletes. "Never let yourself grow hungry,"says Benardot. "Athletes who put themselves in an energy deficit - even a subtle one - will have lower metabolisms and won't perform as well." Have a whole wheat English muffin with a pat of butter. In an Ohio State study, men who ate a little fat in the morning had fewer fat cravings later in the day.

10:30 a.m. Have an ice day.
Follow that snack with some ice water, and don’t be stingy with the cubes. Your body will burn 31 calories warming a quart of icy water to 98.6 degrees.

11:50 a.m. Break a sweat.
Researchers have found that people who lose weight and manage to keep it off burn an average of 400 calories per day exercising - equal to about 4 miles of running. However, how you reach that number isn't as important as simply reaching it," says John Jakicic, Ph.D., assistant professor at Brown University School of Medicine in Providence, R.I. The key is to develop the habit of being active every day, whether that means running, walking, biking, or simply chasing your kids around the yard.

1:00 p.m. Pack it in.
It pays to bring your lunch from home. A recent study found that people who eat in restaurants six times a week consume 300 more calories a day, on average, than those who prepare their own grub. Start off with chunky soup (you’ll eat 20 percent less at lunch when you eat chunky soup first, researchers say), then have a small sandwich made with lean meat. (Use mustard instead of mayo, and you’ll save 80 calories a day. Over a year, that’s about 5 1/2 pounds of fat.)

1:05 p.m. Just look at yourself.
If you can, have lunch in front of a mirror - you’ll eat less fat when you watch yourself, two studies have found. Likewise, you may benefit from eating alone. A study in the journal Appetite found that people who dined in a group ate nearly twice as much, on average, as those who ate alone - even if the “group” consisted of only one other person.

1:35 p.m. Chew on a stick.
Not only will it mask the onions on your breath, chewing gum also will burn about 11 calories an hour, according to an item in the New England Journal of Medicine.

2:30 p.m. Nose around.
Take a sniff of that banana on your desk. Because taste and smell are closely linked, it actually will dampen your appetite, says Alan Hirsch, M.D., of the Smell & Taste Research and Treatment Foundation in Chicago. Green apple and peppermint are also particularly effective scents. “We found that the more frequently you sniff, the more weight you’ll lose,” says Dr. Hirsch.

3:00 p.m. Skip the soda.
Heading to a long staff meeting? Grab a bottle of water. A 20-ounce bottle of soda can pack 250 calories. And if you think that bottle of fruit juice is a lower-cal option, think again: A 17.5-ounce bottle of Nantucket Nectars Orange-Mango weighs in at 260 calories. Suck down one of these every workday, and you’ll rack up 1,300 calories a week. You’d have to run a half-marathon to burn that off!

4:30 p.m. Zap your snack.
It’s been about 3 hours since lunch; time for a bite. Try a veggie-laden slice of leftover pizza - and take the extra 60 seconds to microwave it. “About 90 percent of what we call taste is really smell,” says Hirsch. “And heating food intensifies its smell.” This is a good thing, because as we noted earlier, smelling your food before you eat it will dampen your appetite. By the way: Blot your hot pizza with a napkin, and you’ll soak up 20 calories’ worth of grease.

5:30 p.m. Scan your desk.
Did you eat all your fruit today? Good! Now you earn a reward. Which brings us to…

6:00 p.m. Go for the grape.
Janet from Payroll is retiring, and you want to toast her at the local tavern after work. That’s fine. But watch out for sneaky calories: A 4-ounce glass of wine has just 85 of them, whereas birdbath-size drinks like daiquiris may have 400 calories or more.

6:15 p.m. Cut yourself off.
We can think of three reasons why you should limit yourself to one drink:
You're driving home.

Drinking encourages mindless munching (at a bar, that means deep-fried mozzarella sticks and - shudder - chicken fingers).

The more you drink, the harder it is to stay on your feet. Standing up burns 1.7 times more calories than sitting down.

6:20 p.m. Skip the smorgasbord.
If you must munch at the bar, have some hard pretzels or popcorn - both crunchy, low-calorie foods that satisfy. Anything to keep you away from the happy-hour buffet table. When you have more food choices, you eat more, says Megan McCrory, Ph.D., a nutrition researcher at Tufts University.

6:35 p.m. Walk down the aisle.
On your way home, swing by the Food Mart and whip out your list (you do have a list, don’t you?). Tip: Buy as much as you can in small packages. You’ll eat more from a huge package than a smaller package of the same food - up to 44 percent more, according to one study.

Here's what to toss in your cart:

Fruits and vegetables (duh). They're high in water and fiber, so they fill you up without a lot of calories,” says Rolls.

Broth-based soups. Another filling choice.

Lean meats. Calorie for calorie,

protein is more filling than carbohydrates or fat.

Nonfat yogurt. "I spoon some on my breakfast cereal," says Rolls.That way the cereal seems more substantial.” Yogurt is also great for making smoothies, another way to fill your belly with relatively few calories.

Vegetable juice. Unlike soda or fruit juice, vegetable juice (such as V-8) makes you feel full. In one study, men who drank 14 ounces (88 calories) of vegetable juice before lunch, ate 136 fewer calories during the meal.

6:45 p.m. Stare at the Enquirer…not the Snickers.
Some supermarkets, in a nod to parents, have candy-free checkout aisles. Find one and use it. Even if it means waiting in line behind a cranky 2-year-old.

6:55 p.m. Get tanked.
When you pull into the gas station for a fill-up, pay at the pump with your credit card. Otherwise, you’ll have to deal with the cashier, who most likely is surrounded by snack cakes and chips, placed there to catch you in a moment of weakness.

7:05 p.m. Use counter intelligence.
When you put away your groceries, leave your fruit out on a table or countertop - not tucked away in the fridge or pantry. You’re more likely to eat food when it catches your eye every time you walk into the room. This is why glass cookie jars are bad news.

7:15 p.m. Have the surf, hold the turf.
A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that overweight people who ate fish every day lost about 20 percent more weight than a fish-free group. Go for varieties rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and tuna. Don’t dig into a restaurant-sized portion, though. A serving of fish should be about the size of a computer mouse. (Same goes for meat and poultry.)

7:30 p.m. Go for sax and violins.
Pop in a jazz or classical CD. Studies show that people listening to relaxing music at mealtime chew more slowly and eat less than people who crank up more frantic tunes. (Save those for your treadmill workouts.)

7:35 p.m. Savor the flavor.
You’ll enjoy each bite more and eat less, because there’s a lag time between being full and feeling full. “Eating slowly gives your body the opportunity to signal the brain that you’ve eaten enough,” says Brownell.

8:00 p.m Fill the sink with suds.
Wash your dishes by hand, and you’ll burn about 25 calories.

8:10 p.m. Bag it.
Pack your lunch for the following day. Don’t feel guilty about including a few cookies or a small chocolate bar - indulgences are not only allowable, they’re advisable. Without the occasional treat, your cravings will only intensify until you snap in a moment of weakness and devour an entire pint of ice cream. (Double whammy: Truckloads of calories and an ice-cream headache!)

8:15 p.m. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
In the mood for a movie, but can’t choose between Scream and Sense and Sensibility? Go for the scary one (for me, that’s Sense and Sensibility). You’re less likely to eat when you’re frightened.

9:00 p.m. Intermission.
If you’re hungry, it’s perfectly okay to snack after dinner. The “no eating after 8 p.m.” rule is a myth, says Rolls: “What you eat is more important than when you eat.”

9:40 p.m. Brush up.
Brush your teeth immediately after your snack, even if you’re not ready to turn in. You’ll be less likely to eat again before bed.

10:15 p.m. Hit the sack.
A chronic lack of sleep may contribute to weight gain, says Pat Kendall, Ph.D., R.D., a food science and human nutrition specialist at Colorado State University Cooperative Extension in Fort Collins. “When people stay up later, they tend to eat more,” says Kendall. “Also, when you’re rested, you’re less likely to rely on food to give you energy.” And besides, you have to wake up early tomorrow morning…to do your yoga.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:30 PM   #6  

Talking

HOWDY Y'ALL;

Oh no! I made it back sooner than I expected. I've left the computer on so I actually get up here at it more often. No time last night, but I have gotten a lot done on it tonight.
I just read the article that Tobey included. A lot of that made sense. It was interesting as I had a rotten afternoon and the market was so tempting. We now have Krispy Kreme donuts at our store. I wanted to buy one so bad just to stuff it in my mouth, but I walked by the display and didn't even look at them. I bought the two types of milk, orange juice, diet Coke, and matches. All that was on my list and I didn't buy any "junk" food for me. Instead I came home and made some Texas Caviar, diced up some extra green peppers and cucumbers and made supper. I did the dishes, had my sf pudding, gave myself a facial, and came up here to see what I could do. It felt pretty good not eating because I was upset. Right now, I have a handle on all of this. I should go back to journaling, that will be next week. If any of you can, go to readersdigest.com There is an article there that gives 20 tips to losing weight. Most of them are things I've read before, but it never hurts to hear them again.
I must get going and try to get to bed earlier. No game tonight, so I can do that. Oh! I did well at my weigh in--another 2# down. I felt pretty good and decided to treat myself at the ball game with peanut M&M's. That was my 10%. Today I put a little Lite Hershey's Syrup on my sf pudding with my Free Cool Whip. That was very satisfying. I am also beginning to measure better. These are just little things that could make a difference for me.
I hope all of you have a great weekend. I may not get in before the Sunday. Stay healthy in mind, so you all can get healthy in body and spirit.

Boss
Old 01-24-2002, 05:21 AM   #7  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~I got a pretty good nights sleep last night only to get up to yet another fish problem. I'm fixing to lose the last two guppies that I have other than babies. I knew there was a problem day before yesterday evening. In the morning things was find 4 or 5 hours later it wasn't. I'm going to tell you something I feel a lot like when I got this puter, this is stressing me out. I don't know if I'm going to able to figure this thing out or not. What you don't understand if I just went through taking all the fish out of the big tank and putting a pound of salt out of it to kill anything I had in there that was hurting my fish. And now this, it's almost too much.

Tobey~~ I surly did miss you my friend. Right now I wish I had you right here with me to talk to me. I need a friend. But I will just had to endure this frustration a lone. I bet you had a ball on the ski trip. Boy who do you work for??? Not much of that sort of thing going on here in the state for employees. In fact I thank the only ones here that matters is the guy on top. Here you are going on a ski trip and you didn't tell us!!!! I've decided you have a life, and I have fish. yaks I never tried snow to ski on, but I was quite good at water skiing in my younger days. If I tried it now it would take a ship to get me up and then it would pull my arms off with the extra weight. I am not doing anything near 2 miles on the treadmill, but at least I'm getting on. Thanks for the article, it was very good.

Carol~~ You done a good job in that grocery store, sometimes we can do it and sometimes not. Right now I couldn't do it. I have to leave my puter on all the time and just reboot once in a while, it seems to do better. It was really having a hard time getting going after being turned off all night. I want a new one. Good to see you here this AM.

Bye Bye for today.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:44 AM   #8  
American Chick!

Morning Ladies,
Just time for a quick post---I need to get the girls up for school. I'm still here; just been getting up really late and not had time to post or even read much. My doctor put me on "nerve" medicine and it really does a number on me. I told him if I can just get thru the summer and all the mess with the doofus, I should be okay. I'll try to come in this weekend if Jeff will shove over and let me use the computer. Love you all, and hope you're doing well. Didn't want you to forget me!
Love, Sally
224/162 (finally lost a bit more!)/120ish
Old 01-24-2002, 08:47 AM   #9  

Good morning all.

Trying to get back into my regular routine. I am so tired this morning! I am sure that I have bags under my eyes. I haven’t slept well for the past two nights. It is like my mind is going at warp speed and I keep having these silly dreams and waking up. Dh said that he had the same problem last night as well. Except in his dreams, everyone was trying to kill him! Another warm day here. But it looks like it is still the middle of the night. It is a rainy morning and everything is soooo dark.

Boss: Congratulations on walking right past those donuts and sticking your list! It is amazing how good you feel (later on of course) when you don’t give into your cravings. That facial sounds good. I will check out those tips. I like reading those types of things, even if I have heard them all before. They act like constant reminders for me. CONGRATULATIONS again – I just got to the part of your post where you lost another 2#!!! You are really on the right track.

Marlana: Sorry to hear that you are still having fish problems. I’m sure you that you will eventually get it all sorted out. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be! Hey I wish I could be there too. Sometimes I wish we could just teleport ourselves to where we wanted. I could wish myself to your place and then on to Skeeter’s to sit in her new comfy chair and watch her new TV! The ski trip was a blast. Everyone I worked with couldn’t say enough about it. In fact on the bus, the director of our office got up to thank me for organizing it and everyone gave me a round of applause. It was enough to make me blush I do have to admit that I work for the best company!! It is so nice to work for an employer who actually cares about their employees. They realize that it is their employees that make everything run. I have worked for so many companies that just don’t give a dang. They figure that you should just shut up and be happy that you have a job. This was my first time down hill skiing. I have never been water skiing either. I had the chance once or twice, but was too chicken. I have heard that it is a lot fun. I think the next time I have a chance to try it, I’ll jump on it. I wouldn’t worry about the distance you are putting in yet. You are right, the point is just to get on and do it. Distance and speed comes with time. Just look at Mb, Jen, and myself. We are all at different levels and it just took time to get there. Even just 18 months ago, I would have gagged at the thought of running!

Sally: Hope you are doing okay. I see in your signature that you are down some more. Congratulations!!! Do you realize that you are now close to your goal weight than you are to your starting weight? That is so fantastic. I have just been thinking about all the weight that you have lost and I have to say I am so excited and proud. You have managed to lose weight during vacations and crazy times. That is really great – shows that you have made some serious commitments and changes. So for going mushy but I really wanted to get that out! WAY TO GO!

Well time to get some work done. Hope everyone is doing great!

Tobey
Old 01-24-2002, 03:46 PM   #10  

I only have a few minutes to post right now. My first day of classes was yesterday. If I wasn't on a PT schedule, I would be having some pretty serious panic attacks. In each of the 3 classes I have a major paper to write, 10-12 pages each, plus about half a dozen or so smaller papers. Plus all the reading, goofy assignments, and clinical hours with a "leader or manager" for 50-80 hrs this semester. I'm going to schedule myself for a vacation when all of this is over in May. I have to go to a "mandatory" staff meeting this afternoon. This should be fun. (You can't hear the sarcasm in my voice). After I'm hoping that I can talk to my boss about some of the problems over the weekend. Then dear bf wants me to stop over at his house for awhile. And I have to get a few groceries tonight on my way home. Hopefully I'll get a few minutes to pop back in here and post to everyone. (((HUGS))) to those who need it, and CONGRATS to those with a success this week!

Jen
Old 01-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #11  

Hi Everyone

Sorry I haven't been here much lately. I've just been a bit down in the dumps and not feeling much like writing. I do ok at work cause I'm busy but then when I get home, I start feeling the anxiety and worry again.

Dh went and applied for unemployment last week and was told that everything looked ok and it should go ok and then Tuesday morning there was a letter that he had to talk to someone first before it went thru and it said something about possible misconduct. He is so upset, wondering what it means, if they are trying to screw him out of his unemployment. He never had any misconduct at any of his jobs, always did everything he was told to do, got along with everyone. So he is really upset over that and it has me worried to. I know of places that will screw someone out of getting unemployment benefits and I hope thats not what is happening. If the unemployment falls thru, we will be in financial trouble for sure. So, if you pray, say some prayers for us. I feel so bad for dh cause he is so upset over this. The thing is, the paper told him to have any evidence ready for when the ajudicator calls, ****, it doesn't even say what he may of done so how can he have any evidence. I told him he should call his former boss who told him not to worry about unemployemnt, just to see if he can find anything out from him. His boss may not even be aware of it. I also feel bad cause I feel like I don't know what to say to make him feel better. This is really bugging him alot and I hate seeing him so upset and I feel like I have to hide my feelings and worries so that I don't upset him even more. Oh well. Thats whats going on here on the home front.

I am going to wait another day or two before I post to everyone, I just wanted to come in and vent a little and say hello to you and tell you not to forget me. I'll be back later.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:53 PM   #12  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey everyone.

My husband and I helped our friends move yesterday and we didn't get home until 7 last night. I was just beat and never made it in here. It was so warm yesterday that we had to turn the a/c back on and it is still on today. Everything is starting to get buds so I sure hope that there is no more cold weather this year.

Marlana~I wish that I knew what was wrong with your fish tank and could help you out. I am so glad that I got lucky with my fish and they are all healthy. I did lose the 4th one that I bought and replaced him the same day. I have never used the vase that the fish died in though. I am afraid that there may be traces of the disease that killed Griffy in it. I got all my tanks cleaned today so my guys should be happy. They love fresh water and usually all have bubble nests the next day.

Tobey~Girl, you do work for an exceptional company to have provided a ski trip with all expenses paid. You better try to retire with that company because there aren't a lot like that. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I have never snow skied but I have water skied and love it. I've been told that water skiing is easier than snow skiing. The article was great, I enjoyed it and am going to copy it. I also copied the muffin recipes for a day that I have a lot of motivation in the kitchen. Things are finally back to normal with mom gone and I finally got a day of rest today. It felt good too.

JoJo~I sure hope that you can keep your spirits up and not dwell on the problems. My daughter just went through the same thing with unemployment. The good news is that she won and she got all the back pay from the day she signed up. The unemployment people had called to verify from her job that she was laid off and a person that didn't like her told them that she quit. She finally got it settled and her first check ended up being very large. Just be aware that you can fight and win and will get all the money. Come on back and vent as much and as often as you need.

Carol~WTG on losing 2#. You did good at the market too. That's half the battle for me. If I can walk on by the junk food at the store and not bring it home, there aren't many chances for me to cheat later. Living out here in the woods doesn't provide any fast food places and very few convenience stores. It helps keep my OP.

Jen~Your writing requirements for your next school session makes my head spin. It's probably not as bad as it sounds but it sure sounds busy. Good luck with all that. It's good that you have gone to part time now but you will have to put your food down sometimes and actually only work part time.

Sally~WTG on losing more weight. You are doing good. Hang in there and just take one day at a time and the problems with the ex will be over before you know it.

It's time for dinner now so I better go get cooking. I hope to make it back tomorrow because we have another busy day planned. We are starting with donating platelets first then off on some errands. We had to cancel the donations for a while because of both of us being sick and then having company. Now we can get back to it. Y'all have a good evening.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:43 AM   #13  

Happy Friday to you all!

It’s Friday – YIPPEE!! Can you tell that I am in a good mood this morning? I have no big plans for the weekend but I am still excited! Saturday, I know that we are going to spend the morning at one of the big bookstores. Dh has a gift certificate (which I gave him last May) that he finally wants to use. Then we are going out for lunch – we have a gift certificate for that too. Then we are going to hit a market that friends of ours were telling us about. Saturday night will probably be filled with hockey on the TV and a Scrabble tournament. Although, dh might be giving up on Scrabble – he hasn’t been able to beat me in a L O N G time! We may end up playing Trivial Pursuit. He wins at that most of the time. Sunday will be a long run (6-miles, I think) and then clean up! It looks like a tornado has ripped through our place!

Jen: Wow that is a pretty aggressive class schedule. I bet you’ll be happy come spring! You will definitely deserve a great vacation. Do you have any plans yet? Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday! How did the meeting go? Did you have a chance to bring up your concerns with your boss?

Jojo: Don’t apologize!! I can’t blame you for feeling the way you do. Sometimes it is even harder to watch a loved one go through something than it is to experience it yourself. I think it has to do with the feeling of helplessness – at least for me anyway. Take as much time as you need. Our thoughts are with you!

So are you sore today after the move? I’m loving our weather but I can’t even imagine it being so warm that we would have to turn the a/c on. I love that idea! I’m not a winter person. After today I hope you can take some time out. You have been running around like crazy you must be so pooped! You should make some good use of your new chair, TV, & DVD. Hey that’s an order!

Well that looks like that is all who have checked in since I last posted. Marlana – Missing you this morning. Hope all is well.

Have a GREAT weekend. I’ll try to get in and post.

Tobey
Old 01-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #14  

Good morning gals. I'm actually up at a fairly decent time and trying to stay one step ahead of the game today. My meeting with my boss went fairly well yesterday. Afterwards I had a heart to heart with her. Granted, I don't think she's that great of a "leader" as my leadership class would put it, but that's different than a "manager". Anyway, she said she's going to start reteaching everyone teamwork skills. I'm just relieved that she realizes there are huge problems out on the unit. Sunday night I had all the nurses refusing to take an admit. Granted, a couple were in no position to be able to. 2 of the other ones are just slugs, and one threatened to walk out if she had to. I talked to her about that too. Cover my butt before someone else talks to her. Anyway, there are some things she wants to try on the unit, so I may chose those as topics for my papers. Might as well research something useful. And I may be doing my clinical hours with the open heart case manager. Not only will it make school easier because I have a clue about it, but it will make work easier when I learn more about pre-op and discharge teaching and arrangements. That's the plan anyway.

Tobey- Sounds like you are going to have a nice weekend. It's going to be 60 degrees here. That is incredible. Ususally it would be like 10, windy and cold. I'm working for a nurse tomorrow during the day, and night shift on Sunday, so I plan on getting outside Sunday afternoon. Maybe get a head start on picking up the yard a little. I'm soooo ready for spring. I'm not sure where or what to do on my vacation. Maybe nothing!

Skeeter- Moving is very hard work, and good exercise!!! Yesterday at the meeting I was asked if I wanted to work. My reply was "I'm already working an extra 20 hrs this week. I think that's plenty." Enough said. Good for you for donating platelets. How often do you do that?

Jojo- I'm sorry that things just seem like they're getting worse. Hopefully it's like Skeeter said, and just someone shooting off their mouth trying to get out of paying. The truth always comes out. My thoughts will be with the both of you. Please come back and vent anytime. It's why were are here.

Sally- Yep, those drugs can get ya! Be careful with them, especially if you feel the "hangover" effect. Congrats on losing a bit more!!!

Marlana- You're poor fishies. Who would have thought that they'd be so much work?

Carol- Congrats on making it through the market. It's almost impossible to make it with only the list for me. Congrats on your 2# loss. I'm working on switching back to less processed foods. Fresh fruits and veggies over canned, cooking my own chicken and fish, whole grain breads, pasta, heck, I even bought couscous and barley to try! If anything, I may just feel better.

Well, I should go. I have to work again. I was scheduled 7-11pm, but made myself available for the 3-7pm if needed. Of course they'll need me. But it's on the bonus plan!

Jen
Old 01-26-2002, 11:27 AM   #15  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~Shame on me, I played hooky yesterday. I decided not to write in the morning and get busy around the house and maybe I could get something done by noon, instead of starting at noon. I did get some things done, but this time I didn't get around to writing on the board. I'm on a roll here, I haven't lost any fish in 2 days. It's not ever a good start to a day to have a burial at sea.

Sally~~What kind of nerve meds did you get? I've had to resort to that myself a time or two. I usually take myself off of them before the doctor says no more. I hope you doing better now. Sometimes we do what we have to do to keep ourselves pulled together. Congrats on more weight gone.

Tobey~~I hate those nights when the mind is running full speed ahead and you just lay there all night not ever going into a deep sleep. Been there done that. Well He** I'm getting old enough that I've been there and done that on almost everything. I've noticed while writing in here that I've done, had, put up with, throwed out, failed at, and eat everything already. Boy I'm having a really hard time picturing myself walking more than a mile or two in one day, if that for. I'm still working at it. Your just something else, you know that? Nothing fantastic going on for this week end and your excited. Got to get to where you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been an hour since I wrote the above. I have the TV on and the bass fishing show that come on was the one on the lake I live close to. I spent about 10 min trying to get the smarter than me VCR to rec. for hubby to watch. It was interesting to see where these guys was fishing on the lake. Lake Ft. Gibson...

Jen~~Unlike Tobey's life, exciting...Your life in school would be a night mare for me. I have many times dreamed of going back to school and that is a nightmare for me. Often times in my dreams I show up in class with no cloths on. Is that a nightmare or not??? You've got a busy time here for a few months. Come in when you can and let us know how your doing. I already have one daughter that won't get in contact with me, now that I have adopted you, don't leave me!!! Do good in school and it will pay off in the long run.

Jo Jo~~I understand 100% why you would be in the dumps. If I was in your shoes, I would be in the bed with my head covered up. Oh my gosh, what else is going to happen to you guys. If he wasn't layed off because of misconduct, how can they not let him have his unemployment. Many years ago I was cheated out of mine. I ended up going to a court hearing over it. Men can really get down over losing a job. Mine lost his after 18 years and he didn't do anything. He really got depressed over it. I didn't know what to do either. I didn't want to get down to where he was, yet I couldn't try to be too positive about it either. It is just hard to know how to handle. Do the best you can. And please try to take care of yourself. You are my friend and you are in my prayers.

Skeeter~~Girlfriend, your busier than a one armed paper hanger in the wind. Aren't you getting tired of all this company and running around. I KNOW WHAT YOUR NEXT POST IS GOING TO SAY. These girls are wondering about me and you both. I got a feeling they don't thank our corks are floating. You know Skeeter I've done a lot of reading about keeping fish. And at this point I'm sure that I'm causing at least 70% of the problem with the fish. I'm learning. I tested water this morning for Ph and ammonia and they are ok. 2 Platies, one Neon and 3 Catfish are doing find. It will be at least 2 weeks before I put anything else in there. I don't see any signs of Ick, but I'm not sure when to stop putting meds in the water. I've done it 3 times now. I got to do some more reading.

I'm setting here hacking my head off. Thank God today is the last day on that medicine. I hope the next one works better. It's suppose to be very warm today, (65) so I'm going to get outside and do some things. Have a great week end everyone.
Closed Thread