Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default How about little rewards for every 5 lbs, BIG rewards for every 10?

Read the reward idea in a dieting book... How about little rewards for every 5 lbs, BIG rewards for every 10 pounds lost? In a diet book I read about rewards, what would yours be? And what would the final BIGGEST reward be for reaching your goal?

I'm thinking 5 lbs and I'll reward myself with a little shopping spree, a new chick purse. At 10 lbs... since I love jeans, a new pair, a little skinnier, maybe Sevens? At 15 lbs, a new swimsuit and sun dress that I won't quite fit into until...

And at 20 lbs, my end goal? A trip to Mexico, by myself to relax in the sun for a week in a bikini.

Do rewards work?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Whether or not rewards work completely depend on the person (and the rewards!). For example, a new purse would not motivate me in the least--I buy a new purse maybe twice a year from Walmart or Target for under $25 because name brands mean nothing to me. Also, if I got a reward every 5 pounds, I'd be broke by the time I was even halfway to goal since I have sooooo much to lose!

I guess my point is that if rewards motivate you, then sure, they'll help. And the reward system you choose for yourself has to be very tailored to your own journey (it sounds like you've got this part down). Personally, I also think you need to set ground rules. For example, if you lose 5 pounds, then gain 7, then lose 5 again, I wouldn't give myself a reward for the second losing of the 5 (this probably won't be as much an issue for you as it is for us bigger folks who can easily gain 5+ in a single week).

I hope you find what works for you! You sound so excited about the rewards you've chosen for yourself that I think you will find them to be great motivators. Maybe while you're heading for your next reward, you could hang up pictures of it in places like on the fridge so you'd be reminded of what you're working toward when you go to grab a snack
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Right now my reward is seeing the scale go down. (I have a lot to go so that might make it different.) But, for my big numbers (50 lbs and so on) I do give myself a little something. I already know that at my final goal I will be going for broke on an all new wardrobe!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Losing is its own reward for me--but I can understand doing something special to celebrate milestones. Say, visiting a special place like a museum exhibit--getting a book you like, or some new music--things like that. Of course, big food rewards aren't exactly a good idea! That's like rewarding sobriety by drinking.

If it helps, do it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I love rewards... I plan of giving myself one every 5 kgs lost (aprox 11 pds), but not all of them are material things, for my 3rd reward Iīll be 60 kgs and thatīs the weight I need to start running again (I had a knee injury skiing a few yrs ago and the dr told me that above 60 kgs it was bad for my knee) and I swear thatīs one of the rewards I want more.
About the trip to Mexico... wow, that sounds great, trips to Mexico from here are really expensive, but if I could I would do it for my final reward. (what beach are you planning to go? I loved Ixtapa, much more than Los Cabos, Playa del Carmen, Can Cun, Acapulco and Pto Vallarta (yeah, I went to many beaches lol), itīs more "mexican" style.. Tulum is beautiful too)

For my last reward I want a tattoo!

Right now Iīm so big that shopping doesnīt really motivate me!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #6  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

When I first started my lifestyle change I amde a lil list of rewards for pounds lost but as I started loosing the rewards meant nothing It was reward enough to see the scale go down thats not to say I don't go out & buy a purse or pair of shoes every now & then
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I reward myself based for sticking with my program for a specific period of time, not for losing a certain amount of weight. I can't always control the scale, but I do control what I eat and whether I go to the gym every day. My one-year reward was an iPod shuffle, my two-year reward was a leather jacket (that I look fabulous in, BTW), and my three-year reward is going to be a convertible. I hate my current car. I haven't decided what my four-year reward will be.

I also get to download a song from iTunes every time I floss my teeth--and you wouldn't believe how well this works for getting me to floss--but that has nothing to do with weight loss.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Like Barbara, I reward myself for staying OP and exercising. My reward is a bit different. I treat myself to a trip to the second hand stores. I usually come home with 5-10 "new" items in my current size or the next smaller size, depending upon what treasures I find. Having a wardrobe that fits has been a HUGE mood booster for me. Also, once I started doing this, all of a sudden everyone noticed my weight loss. The compliments and encouragement from my friends, family, and co-workers has really been a nice reward for me as well. The icing on the cake is those few "carrots" hanging in the closet that I am salivating to wear. More incentive to stay OP and walk that extra mile

Last edited by CountingDown; 11-21-2007 at 07:17 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #9  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

When I reach a 5 lb. mark I stop at the florist and buy a big bunch of flowers for myself and put them right in the middle of the kitchen table!! Something for me to enjoy and visually remind myself of this journey I'm on since they are in a prominent spot in my home.
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I joined TOPS together a few months ago. For every 10 lbs, or for losing 4 weeks in any given month you receive either a charm or pin or a free month's dues (in our chapter $3 per month).

I've also created sticker charts for exercise and pounds lost, with small rewards for every 5 lbs ($5 or less) and bigger rewards for bigger losses (when I get to 50 lbs lost, I'm getting myself an MP3 player or DVD player for the workout room in the apartment).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i think reward do work some. however, rewards don't have to be big things. For example, a nice relaxing at home facial scrub. however i wait for the biggies for larger splurges (since i'm on a budget). I'm a few lbs away from the 20 lb mark..and when i hit it..i'm going to treat myself to a nice relaxing massage. But for some rewards really do help and i think it helsp some stay motivated
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #12  

It may sound corny, but knowing that I've lost X pounds is reward in itself.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastTime View Post
When I reach a 5 lb. mark I stop at the florist and buy a big bunch of flowers for myself and put them right in the middle of the kitchen table!! Something for me to enjoy and visually remind myself of this journey I'm on since they are in a prominent spot in my home.
I love that idea! I might get myself flowers when I reach my 10 lb mini goal below vvv. thanks for sharing
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #14  
Wandering in the Woods

This is a good topic for me to consider. For so long I haven't taken my goals seriously, and rewards have always been something I talked about, but never came near to earning... since I never take my goals seriously. So, I guess in a way, my rewards aren't motivational ones. I always thought being slim and feeling my body move freely and more limberly, was the greatest reward. Funny how we get use to things, and take things for granted. So, I suppose that's the idea of refreshing the reward bank.

I want to lose 40 more pounds... last year I went on a diet to lose 50, and I lost 25, gained 15 back, and am hovering for about 6 months at 10 pounds lost. Okay, so, my next big goal is (see below) my 'birthday goal', and I have about 8 to go. I'm not sure if I"m going to have enough time now, as I posted that goal a month ago at least, when I had plenty of time. I also think it's dangerous for me to put dates on goals, especially important dates. But anyway, when I reach 145, I am going buy myself a pair of Black Gramicci pants, because that was all I wore before I got too fat for the size I wore (mediums). They are a symbolic purchase.

Just for fun, let me forecast the whole way. 140 to wear my "new" cycling jerseys! I use to love to 'collect' them, but that was when I was cycling fit and slender, and have a trunk ful that I can't wear. Just being slim enough to wear the ones I bought and wore only a couple of times before I grew out of them, will be the most wonderful reward. Yeah, to wear as I go down, my smaller jerseys. Niiiice. Then, to go out and actually ride on the country roads and be noticed by all the zillions of cyclists in this valley (very popular cycling area).

At 135, boy, that will be the weight I was when I hiked Mt Whitney on a week long trek. I had gained 15 pounds from my leanest weight back then, and I remember complaining the whole time, vainly, about how heavy I was...boy was I a b*tch! What I would'nt do now to weigh that ! Okay, so, the symbolic thing there is all about Backpacking. I've been nearly threadbare for a couple of years, wearing fat elastic jeans on my trips because I didn't fit into my nice gear. On that Whitney trip I recall ripping a hole in my favorite pants, probably because they were getting too tight already (I bought them 15 pounds lighter). So, to go to REI or NORTHFACE or ROYAL ROBBINS and find a nice pair of those nice lightweight packer pants. That will be my reward for 135.

at 130, I'll be hovering close to my goal weight. In fact, I told myself before I will bargain at that weight. I notice there's a lot of real sensible weight goals on this forum. I'm only 5'2", so it's not unrealistic for me to want a lean goal weight of 125... but, we'll see how I feel at 130. Before my January birthday, I have to renew my drivers' licence, and well, my DH mentioned to me I might want to change the weight on the description. He's right, I'm nowhere near 120. Dilemma for sure. I decided I'll change it to 130 or 135, because I probably look within 15 pounds of that, even though I'm 163 right now. I dunno, reaching the weight on my drivers' licence is a ridiculous goal, but a big one. A real vanity issue, I feel embarrassed to admit it's all a fool's game. But, I'd like my driver's licence weight to signify my bargain goal weight, so that if I do dip below it, I can be less, which is a fun perk. Like I said, very vain, and very silly.

My Ultimate goal of 125 ? I still need to dream about that, but at this point, it would feel like I was hovering instead of trudging, my feet wouldn't hurt, I wouldn't get so sore from doing a new activity... gosh, life would just be so physically comfortable! The best part is that I'd be able to fly over the hills on my bicycles (road and mtn), and that would be like regaining my youthful self (ageless youthful self) all over again. I long for that. That is the ultimate of ultimate goals, to ride these mtns on which I now live.

I love to shop at thrift stores, so I guess I would try on a bunch of my favorite style (moss green corduroys ) pants and find a nice pair at that weight and see what size I actually am. I'm guessing a realistic size will be 8 this time around (tight size 6, but I don't want tight anymore, ever again!) In my humility of gaining weight and modesty of middle age, I have learned to love, love, love the comfort of elastic waist bands, and so I promise myself, even at my leanest weight, I will never go back to wearing constricting clothing again, that elastic (and drawstring, like Gramicci) is my signature look now. But, occasionally I'll want to tuck a shirt in, so fitted skirts and pants will be nice to have for the occasions.

Well, I've written a novel, but it was good to think about it all.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 11-22-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I rewarded myself all along with new wardrobes. Now if this were the fantasy reward zone, and if my rich uncle had gotten out of the poor house anytime soon, I'd have rewarded myself with a nice little tummy tuck and maybe a breast lift. Instead, I just grab those suckers and push em up and that's all the lift they get around here.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote