Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Gettin' That Turkey Cushion

Well I just looked on the calendar and Thanksgiving is 28 days away ~ That gives me (US) exactly four 7 day weeks to get the job done!

What job?

Glad you asked

I have been on this 3FC site long enough to know that this is the time of year that so many of you (US) get to feeling like we can't enjoy Thanksgiving Day. We are afraid we will blow it Screw up our "PLAN"

Well I have said it before and I will say it again..."It is just ONE DAY, enjoy your family and the time we have set aside to be thankful for all we have here in America."

So, with that being said....let's take the "guilt" off us for that day by doing just one extra thing, to eliminate those extra calories we will take it.

ANGIE and I will be doing a 5K in the morning. We have done this for 5 of the last 6 years.

I won't worry about eating too much ~ I will try to be sensible ~ I will enjoy the day with my family ~ I will be thankful for all I have, in spite of losing my mom a couple of weeks ago ~ I will enjoy the day! If I feel I "OVER DO IT" then I will add a mile to my routine for another day or two....no problem...what's another 15 minutes.

What ONE thing will you do to enjoy your THANKSGIVING?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #2  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

For us, Thanksgiving dinner is the same dinner we have at least once a month lol. No different. I am always over on my fat that day. I just cut a bit of fat I allow myself off each of the rest of the days of that week. All averages out.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #3  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I totally agree with you ezmoney. Thanksgiving is a day to be thankful for what you have and to spend time with your family. I know I personally get caught up a lot in what I eat and am constantly worried about calories. I don't plan on going overboard but I do plan on having a nice traditional dinner with my family. If this was to be my last Thanksgiving I would want to have eaten that piece of pie, even if it is a sliver. I had planned on doing some more calorie friendly items but may skip that idea altogether and just concentrate on portion size!!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiveing. Make sure you tell everyone you love them.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Gary, what 5k are you doing? We're doing the oceanside one. This will be our first year doing one on Thanksgiving and it definitely makes me feel a little better about dinner.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:12 AM   #6  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

What ONE thing will I be doing to enjoy Thanksgiving? I will eat ONE Thanksgiving meal and not make Thanksgiving 3 days in a row thanks to leftovers! I will eat a moderate amount of what I want on Thanksgiving day, then whether my hubby likes it or not the fattening stuff is going in the trash the next day. Sorry, if it's in the house and I'm hungry, I'm going to eat it. I am trying to convince him that we can have roasted red potatoes with mushroom gravy rather than buttery mashed potatoes with turkey gravy. That instead of macaroni and cheese, we can have green beans as one of our sides...heck, we are already having a broccoli, cauliflower cheese casserole that isn't exactly light, is it? I am trying to lighten up most of the sides so that I CAN enjoy myself and not worry too much about what I am eating and how it's going to affect my weight loss efforts. I know that if we cook our traditional unhealthy stuff, I'm going to be eating it for 3 or 4 days and I will gain a few pounds and be very disappointed and sad. It's just not worth it. I'm serious: any other leftovers are going in the trash!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
Gary, what 5k are you doing? We're doing the oceanside one. This will be our first year doing one on Thanksgiving and it definitely makes me feel a little better about dinner.
STACY ~That is the one Angie and I will be doing. We did the first one, last year, because money goes to the Oceanside schools. For 3 of the 4 previous years we had driven up to Dana Point for a huge one up there, the one in Oceanside is much more convienent.

We will do the "locals" race, at 8am I believe...Angie will run and I will walk it. It is pretty flat or downhill....starts at city offices and finishing at the pier. There was quite a few folks for the first year, I expect a real nice crowd this year.

See you there! EDIT ~It is the Oceanside Turkey Trot

Last edited by EZMONEY; 10-26-2007 at 07:48 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Like trooworld, I will also eat ONE meal and not binge on leftovers! Unlike trooworld, I will not throw away the leftovers; I will eat them sensibly and practice portion control! We're going to have way too much food to just throw away, and the girlfriend would be infuriated at me tossing out all the fattening stuff... that is not a big deal, though, as we already have plenty of fattening food in our house - she eats it and I do not.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll only eat one piece of pumpkin pie. Infact, I know I can do this! I'll just cut the pie in half and eat it - SEE - that is ONE piece!

The girlfriend will get very annoyed at me if I work out on Thanksgiving Day (she already thinks I'm obsessed as it is ), so I will skip the workout and bust my *** on Friday, instead.

Another thing? I'll be thankful for everything I have (including all the FOOD) and will try not to worry too much about what I'm eating!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #9  

Instead of throwing away leftovers just cook less which would work out cheaper for you anyway.
KarieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I'm just going to enjoy the day, eat what we normally have for Thanksgiving, but watch portion size. There really isn't a need to be as stuffed as the turkey.

Then, there is all the walking that we do on the following day at the after Thanksgiving day sales!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #11  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'm going to go home for Thanksgiving for the first time in 7 years. I will also be doing my hometown's Turkey Trot 5K.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I'll do what I do every Thanksgiving - ENJOY IT. I will not THINK about dieting. I will not CONSIDER losing (or gaining!) weight. I will not WORRY about it one way or the other. It's ONE DAY. One day cannot make or break me. Friday, I will be back to my regular diet.

One super good point? TURKEY IS REALLY GOOD FOR YOU! And out of alllll the different pies you can eat on T'giving? PUMPKIN is the best for you. (And pumpkin just happens to be my favorite!)

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 10-26-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #13  

My sister and her family are going to California to see her in-laws this Thanksgiving, so it's just going to be my husband and I and possibly my mom (she doesn't know yet what she wants to do). I'm thinking because it's a small group, we'll go out to eat. There are plenty of restaurants open who will make a lovely Thanksgiving dinner, and I won't have to worry about cooking (or my enemy-leftovers!). It's just one meal--enjoy it.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'll be hosting the party at my house. I'm expecting about 25 people--mostly all relatives. My Mom, Dad, brother, SIL and 2 nieces from SLC and my Aunt, Uncle and various cousins from Orange County.

I will not diet at that meal, however I won't go way overboard either. I'll enjoy the time with my family.

I will save the leftovers and make delicious meals with them. I'm way too frugal to throw it out! I even save the turkey carcasses (we usually cook 2 turkeys) and make a great turkey soup from them.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I even save the turkey carcasses (we usually cook 2 turkeys) and make a great turkey soup from them.
Rock on! I do the same thing! Turkey stock makes some excellent soup. I love how many meals you can get out of just one (or two) turkeys.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote