Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #1  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Default New Job w/ Food. Frustrating

Alright so I just started working at a very high quality steakhouse, and part of the "training" is you have to taste menu items to be about to tell the guests what it tastes like. Well the first thing I had to try was calamari, and it tasted awful, like the grease or something needed to be changed, ugh, ok, then it was coconut shrimp. Same thing. eww. Then an onion.. once again ewww. But other people were TEARING it up, like it was so great. I ate 1 shrimp, one piece of calamari, and 2 petals (at the same time) of this onion. Ugh. I didnt want too but you have too, and since I already made a big deal about not eatting red meat or pork, I thought I could at least quit saying I dont eat this, or that.. lol So.. I did. I left feeling sooooo bad. I was bloated and I had a headache, and this morning I felt hungover. Thats the ONLY thing I can think of that would have made me feel that way. So tonight, we have to do another tasting, and I really dont care how much I get made fun of, or what snide remarks are made, or how stuck up I appear to be.. I am NOT eatting. I ate sooo little that i didnt think it would affect me, but I guess since I NEVER eat that way.. my body freaked out. Sucks being the odd ball every where I go. They tried to feed me a 9oz sirloin, with a fully loaded baked potato. I was like hmmm.. I dont eat red meat, I dont eat white potatoes, and I dont eat pork so no bacon, and I seldom eat cheese. Ha. Ive never seen such screwed up faces lol. This is why I dont eat out with large crowds, and this is why I dont attend cook outs. Tried of being treated like a freak. Why cant the rest of the world just get healthy so im not the odd man out?! Grrrr. So now people who dont KNOW me have the first impression that I am pretentious. Im sure. Its so far from who I am though.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

This is a hard one, since it seems like it is required for your job. How about taking the manager aside before these tastings and explaining your diet? Then you don't have to say it in front of everyone else.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is definitely one of the dilemmas of life after and during weight loss... How far can we go with our self-imposed programs without making life too difficult? And I guess it all depends on individual daily situations.

Maybe you're not cut out to work at this place...?? Because if you need to at least taste some of the foods, and you refuse, well... that may not work.

So--I guess I don't have a lot of advice! I do have friends who have a lot of food restrictions... and going out with them is sometimes difficult because of their needs... In fact, one couple announced after the waitstaff took our orders, "We've been difficult in restaurants for 20 years!" And you know, they said it like they were proud... which I thought was just a little strange, and kinda goes along with your comment about pretentious. It was just really clear from the way they said it that they felt superior about it. I'm NOT saying that this is you, just that some people do give that impression.

Yeah, it would be nice if the rest of the world would eat healthy. Probably not going to happen! But there must be some good, more healthy places where you could work... I hope so!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #4  

It sounds like this will be difficult. I fear that no matter how you try to explain it, people will interpret this as being snobby, or passing judgement on their diet choices. Honestly, I might have had this reaction myself before I began reading this site. (she can't eat ONE thing without feeling sick? She's exaggerating!)

I do agree that you should try to talk to the manager, if that's possible. In time, you might be able to suggest healthy additions to the menu, but if you just started that would be a while into the future.
luey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  

Why on earth would you take a job at a steakhouse when everything they serve grosses you out?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

Typically I dont think any restaraunt is healthy. I mean of course there are healthier choices but all in all.. they are loaded with sodium and yadda yadda. But anyways.. yeah.. its so funny because if I go to Cracker Barrel ( which may be a southern thing.. I dont know) I always get a typical breakfast with sustitutions out the ying yang But they have them available so who cares. My thing is this.. how come I cant have the Ahi Tuna Sashimi in stead of a fried onion? hmmm.. I know the answer to that, but its not the point. I am working there for the money, not the food. I used to work for an affliate restaurant which was seafood, and it was AWESOME. But the closest one to me is 30 mins, and well gas it $3 a gallon This place is the nicest place to work when it comes to restaurants in this town
Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #7  
Is on an Infinite Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Why on earth would you take a job at a steakhouse when everything they serve grosses you out?
Everything they serve doesnt gross me out.. we have other things that I cant wait to try.

Just because I dont eat red meat, or pork, it doesnt gross me out.. just because I dont eat fried food doesnt gross me out. Putting it in my mouth.. grosses me out
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #8  
Token Vulcan

I wouldn't say I eat "healthy healthy" but I also don't like or consume a lot of things most people do so I do know a little of what it feels like to be the oddball. I don't like coffee or alcohol, so if I'm out with people I'm usually sipping water and a diet soda the whole time they're drinking wine, coffee or whatever. My "big" alcohol consumption is maybe a glass of champagne or spumante on New Year's Eve.
I don't like seafood. (I look at shrimp as fat worms and lobster as akin to a giant tarantula.) Twice in my life I tried Chinese food and got physically ill both times. Not big on red meat or veal. Pork, eh, depends. Usually at restaurants I'll look for the chicken franchese or marsala because I like those. I mean, if I know what I like, why order something else? If people think that makes me weird or quirky, so be it. It's my taste buds and stomach.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  
No description available.

So now that you've tasted the calamari, you can tell the guests how awful it is!!! ROFLOL! Seems kinda to defeat the purpose. I'm sure the manager's point is for you to hand sell menu items to guests. Why you have to eat it first (especially if it's gross!) is strange. Maybe just reassure the manage you will rave about the food anyway.

I'm so sorry!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Maybe you could learn enough about the food without eating it, or just take a tiny taste of everything once to give you enough of an idea. And then bs a little bit. You can tell people "the calamari is golden fried and sprinkled with fresh parmesan, served with our house marinara sauce" or something like that, making it appetizing, without actually telling people you think it tastes gross.

As for your co-workers...well...mine have gotten used to the way I eat and don't rag on me much about it anymore. And they've all said things like "we should all eat/work out like Megan does." So I wouldn't worry too much about them. As they get to know you, your personality, not your eating habits, is what will make an impression.

Perhaps you could tell a few white lies, like, "my system is intolerant of gluten" or "my family has a bad history of heart trouble, so I don't eat red meat". We shouldn't have to "excuse" our food choices, but I've decided sometimes it makes life a little easier if I do.

Good luck!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I do think, however, that servers have an obligation to be knowledgeable about the food their serving. It's part of the job--and I say this as someone who waited tables all through college and grad school. You don't have to eat enough of everything to wreck your diet, but you should at least taste things so that you can guide your customers when they ask for guidance.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

I didnt east enough to "wreck my diet" I took little tastes of these certain things and then threw it away when no one was looking. The little bit that I did eat made me feel awful. I did eat somethings that were magnificent, like last night the sample of the menu was bbq chicken, 1/2 rack of baby back ribs, smoked, and bbq'ed with cinnamon apples, veggies, potato soup, and shrimp. I ate half of the 8oz chix breast, the veggies, the apples, and 3 of the shrimp. Boxed the ribs and brought it home to my roommate and have a nice day. lol My managing partner is the greatest guy, hes so friendly and warm, and one of the first things he said to me is that he was going to "fatten me up" because I need a small shirt and he has to order one for me because right now I am swallowed in a medium. lol Only one more tasting day left.. and that day has a dessert.. now.. I might ruin my diet on that one lol. But Im ok with that.. I will check the nutritional facts and budget for it I dont know what it was about the first day, maybe it was the trainer that I had that made me feel so bad, because yesterday I had a different trainer, and she was just cool with everything. I just didnt bother saying a word about what I "dont eat" I just ate what I wanted, said " Im full" and boxed it and went on about my business
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/165/120ish

Height: 5'7"

I have been in situations like that. Where your going out with friends,holiday or work funtions and what I have started doing is I'll have a salad with lots of veggies but only veggies and low-fat dressing. I'll eat a bite or two of whatever is being served (to be polite) and lots of water. I just don't bring it up. If they ask just tell them the truth. That "no offense, but your eating healthy and your body can't handle food this rich." If you say it in a way that's not offensive and eat a little bit. I've noticed people are nice about it if they even notice. I'm sure most of the people their especially the women/girls now a little something about trying to lose weight. Who knows maybe someone else their is trying to do the same thing? Good Luck!!
itainteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I would tell the manager about the adverse affect it had on you, and how you felt it tasted terrible because of your particular diet. And since terrible isn't the taste message they want to get across to their customers, that perhaps the customers would be better served if you told them how everyone raves about it without giving your personal opinion on it, since you may not be a great actress and able to lie convincingly. Let them know that some of the "unfried" and more healthful choices WOULD be more suited to your tastebuds and that you could probably give them better reviews to the customers, while other employees, more accustomed to fried gunk, may not think to highly of the more healthful choices.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #15  
Is on an Infinite Cut

Yeah thats a great point almostheaven. Unfortunately, I will have to be an actress to work at this establishment just because I dont eat red meat,pork or lamb. Now Seafood?! I am your girl. lol I used to eat these things, and I have eatten at this particular place before I stopped eatting them. So I know they are good. The reason we try the fried foods is because they are the most popular. The town that I live in is not filled with the most diverse of people, and unfortunately they would much rather have cheese fries, and buffalo strips than, the Ahi Tuna Sashimi, or the Baramundi with a cheble (sp)reduction.. if ya know what I mean