Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #1  

Question I just started again trying to lose weight and I am count calories

So if I understand from what I am reading I should pay attention to the main calories listed on the food. From that, I should then try and lower my fat intake as much as possible.

I am tracking my info at fitday.com and noticed most of my intake is carbs... that can not be good. However, I am staying with in my calorie range.

So my question is am I off to a good start? And how do you know your calorie range to be in. I am 225 lbs and have set a range of 1600 - 1900 a day. I figured before my change I was consuming 2300-2500 calories a day if not more. I think I read somewhere in order for me to maintain my current weight I had to eat 2700 calories a day. Well I have been maintaining this weight for 3 years..

Any helpful advice is alway welcome.

jen
appleofmyeye08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Counting calories is a great thing to do! 1600-1900 a day seems like a reasonable place to start. If you find yourself losing too quickly or two slowly, it's pretty easy to adjust your numbers.

Carbs...well, it depends on the kinds of carbs. I get about 50% of my cals from carbs but the thing is that not all carbs are created equal. Veggies are mostly carbs, as are beans and whole grains. Those are an entirely different order of carbs from white rice and white bread. If your carbs tend to come from the simple white carbs, you might find that they make you hungrier rather than fuller in the long run (it's something about the carbs turning to sugar in your system and spiking a desire for more of the same.)

But the great thing about calorie counting is that you can get by with a big learning curve. It takes a while to figure out how to best to distribute your calories (so you don't get hungry) and to determine the best calorie range for weight loss in your body. Learning all of these things is part of the process though, and, so long as you are eating fewer calories than your body needs to run itself, you will lose weight as you sort it all out.

Also, check out the calorie counters forum. There is tons of info on calorie counting and whatnot to be read.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172

Good luck!

Last edited by baffled111; 11-08-2007 at 04:56 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I would like to interject that while fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrate and protein, there is nothing "bad" about it. Fat gets a really bad rep. Trans Fats are bad for you, and some people think Saturated fat is, too (though studies are coming out showing that it really isn't as bad as we have been led to believe), but mono and polyunsaturated fats are really good for you! Fat is also necessary for basic bodily functions.

You'll find what macronutrient ratios work best for you, and make you feel the most satiated. My ratio is more like 6% carb/ 50% fat / 44% protein, and I get about 1500 calories a day and I feel amazing. Some people get up to 60% carbs and feel fantastic. So you should play around to see what works for you as far as ratios

And as baffled pointed out, you should focus on whole grains, vegetables and fruit for your carbs. Refined stuff is usually bad news Just as trans fats are bad fats, refined carbs are bad carbs--but neither fat nor carbs are bad in general. There are good fats and good carbs
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree, concentrate on whole foods. About 70% of my calories come from carbs but they are all whole foods. Fruits, veggies, legumes, etc. All healthy stuff.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Ditto all of the above. But dont forget FIBER. Fiber is awesome for keeping me from getting hungry. Fiber and protien will keep you much fuller much longer. For example, i cant eat regular cereal for bkf, if i do, i am hungry in an hour. Now, if i eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch at 6:30 a.m., i am not hungry again still noon at the earliest. It is has an ENORMOUS amount of fiber.

I know it has been said, but definately steer towards whole foods. They will keep you fuller for longer too. Processed foods are just that...processed...so in my mind, that leaves little for my stomach to do with it...so it passes through pretty quick...therefore i am hungry pretty quick. Not to mention there is usually little to no nutrition in processed stuff.

Calorie counting is a good way to go. I lost over 100 pounds doing calorie counting before...it works well because nothing is "off limits". That helps my mind set ALOT. If you tell me "YOU CANT HAVE CARBS"...ok, all i want is icecream, baked potato, and pasta. You tell me i can have ice cream...i dont want it so much. ha ha. That is just me though.

Oh, and water, water, water. Flush that fat honey.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I would say go to your doc. When anyone starts to lose weight a nice trip to the doc for a look over never hurts. The doc will tell you a range of weight you should be in, a calorie amount, fat and carb range. These can be very rough figures but they give you some idea of where you should be.

When I first started this all 6 months ago I worried about fat. Fat, saturated fat that is it is bad for the heart and bad hearts run in my family. The last couple of months I have looked at other things too. Fit day is great. I never thought I would count stuff. I find it fun now. Fit day makes it easy. I sit every morning and pretty much plan out what I am going to eat for the day after I decide what I am making for dinner. It is a great challenge sometimes to stay in the ranges I want to be in. I am not to sticked about it. If I am a bit over here or there that is ok. I didn't get fat from what I ate one day. It will all average out during the week for me I know.

I feel so good without all the meds in my system. With them gone I am now starting to feel so good without a lot of the weight on me. This site and fit day really help me keep things right where I want them to be.

I average 25% fat ( saturated fats never over 7% for some reason and this is good, doc told me never over 10 to 13%, 55% carbs, 20% protein. Those do go up and down sometimes fat is lower and protein is higher. Most of my carbs 80% come from veggies and fruits. They aren't the carbs that are going to kill me like candy and pop.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yep, don't cut out on fat too much. Trans fats, sure! These are the spawn of Satan. But Especially mono- and poly-insaturated fats are good and necessary for the body. The only reason why you should be careful is because fat is like 9 calories/g, whereas carbs and proteins are more like 4/g, so you can easily pack on more calories. But if you choose your fats sensibly (almonds, olive oil, fat in salmon and other 'fatty fishes', etc.), you're all good.

Besides, not enough fat = falling hair, brittle nails, stuff like that, not to mention thatsome vitamins (K...) are fat-soluble, and therefore demand that you eat fat to be assimilated. The body already goes into shock enough as it is when we undergo a drastic change in diet, so make sure to keep enough good fats in your meals. Radically cutting it isn't so great in the long run.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote