Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Who Hid My Breakfast Protein?

OK here is the thing ~

I have done great on the weight loss but one thing that I think is a problem for me is...

Where should I and where do you get your protein at breakfast?

I have been eating oatmeal or something "fiber" cereal every morning around 4:30 or 5:00am, but I still get WAY hungry before our break at 9:30. Is it because I am lacking protein? If so what do you do?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey EZ,

I like a whole egg (or even two) in the morning, with or without oatmeal. Soft boiled is good, or hard boiled if it's preferable. Or I'll have an egg in a breakfast shake with 1% milk and some banana or frozen fruit. Other ideas: 2% cottage cheese on toast, or some string cheese. Chopped turkey or ham in an eggwhite omelet, or just on toast. Or 2 oz. of cheddar cheese melted on a tortilla (quesadilla style). I also use whey protein in 1% milk to get enough protein. Just some ideas.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

How about an egg white (or egg substitute) w/veggie omelet? You can use bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini etc. and fry and it in some non-fat cooking spray, or even olive oil since you do need some healthy oils. And maybe some turkey sausage? Both the egg whites and the sausage are good sources of protein, and the veggies really help bulk the meal out so you don't hungry as quickly. I know you like a little mexican flair so just eat it w/some salsa and you should be good to go.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I sometimes have an egg with a slice of whole wheat toast, or on a whole wheat English muffin with cheese. Other times, fruit and yogurt...try an apple or banana with some peanut butter. On days I go with oatmeal or something lower in protein, I might snack on yogurt or peanut butter a couple hours after and get in some protein then.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #5  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Trick: I make "protein pudding" for breakfast. Use Jello instant fat free sugar free pudding powder, skim milk, and 2 scoops of protein powder. I use Pure Whey protein powder because it doesn't contain sugar and it's not bitter. You totally can't taste the protein powder, either. It just tastes like pudding, but it keeps me full for a good 5 hours. It keeps for about 2 days.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I used to add vanilla-flavored protein powder to my oatmeal (when I was still doing a higher-carb diet), to help keep me full longer. I would mix a tablespoon of pumpkin and a scoop of protein powder into my oatmeal with some cinnamon and it made a tasty breakfast treat

These days, I just have something like eggs scrambled with ham, cheese, peppers and spinach for breakfast. Lots of protein! If you're an eggs girl, I'd go for eggs. Nothin' like the incredible, edible egg
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Protein pancakes: 1/3 cup of each: oatmeal, egg whites, nonfat cottage cheese, blended with a bit of splenda and vanilla. Cook like regular pancakes. Make 3 big pancakes for a total of 190 calories and 22 grams of protein. I enjoy them with sugar free syrup and fruit.

Peanut butter and sugar free jelly on a mini whole wheat bagel.

Omelet (one egg and 1/2 cup egg white) with various veggies, cheese, bacon, salsa, etc

Yogurt, fruit, kashi go lean cereal.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lately, I've been taking 2 slices of light wheat bread (45 cals a slice) and soaking it in 1/2 cup of egg beaters, cooking on the griddle and topping with a few tsp of pumpkin butter. Protein fiber-licious french toast!

Last edited by mandalinn82; 11-06-2007 at 11:02 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/186/170

Height: 5' 8"

Another alternative to add protein to your breakfast: a handful of almonds or mixed nuts(plain, no salt added, no sugar added)
ronlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

You gals are AWESOME!!

Thanks!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

If you still want cereal in the morning then Kashi Go Lean has 13 grams. I use a cup of light soy-milk for 5 grams more and a tablespoon of chopped walnuts for another gram. I think 19 grams of protein at breakfast is pretty darn good. Not to mention I have had 11 grams of fiber all for 263 calories.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't eaten any animal products for a month so I actually get all my protein from vegetable sources.

For breakfast, I have a smoothie that is made of spinach, banana, flax seed, berries and maybe some other fruit. It comes out to about 12 grams of protein. I know it sounds weird but you don't taste the spinach. I made one with apple the other day and it tasted like a creamy apple juice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question for Nelie!

I'm just curious--how many grams of protein are you able to get each day from plant sources? I find it difficult to get much over 100 grams and I have a full array of meat, dairy, legume and veggie sources at my disposal (and plenty of calories in my budget). How do you make it work?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well from what I've read, our bodies only need a minimal amount of protein to function. Athletes need slightly more as well as pregnant and nursing mothers but even they should have no problem getting a good amount of protein on a plant based diet. I've been lifting again and I have been feeling stronger so I don't think it has been holding me back and I've been looking at stories of vegan athletes to see what they have done.

The numbers I've seen are around minimally 5% of our calories should be from protein. I get around 15-20% protein which comes to about 50 grams (give or take some) of protein every day. I eat lots of legumes, lots of veggies, a good amount of fruit and minimal grains.

Ok not to hijack but we can also discuss elsewhere as well

Hopefully EZ can find his breakfast answers

Last edited by nelie; 11-07-2007 at 10:16 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #15  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Word to the wise, and I'm sure you all know this: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY regarding how much protein is good for you. I was vegetarian for 8 years and for 7 of those years I did fine (approximately 60 grams of protein a day, about 20% of my calories). Then I swapped into a physical job (personal training) and was going to school for physical therapy at the same time, and I got very very sick and weak. Turned out I desperately needed more protein. I made the decision to go back to eating meat and my health improved by leaps and bounds.

Remember that the food pyramid and the percentages and all of that are approximate recommendations. Tailor everything for YOUR body!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote