Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/184/145

Height: 5'3''

Default Confused and a bit concerned?

Up until this point I have been losing weight with an average loss of 2 pounds per week. Until now, this week I seem to have lost about 5 pounds. Is this safe? Should I eat more? I haven't changed anything about my calorie intake, I am still taking in an average of 1600 per day. The only things that have changed are exercise and my 9 month old nursling is going through a growth spurt. Last week I picked up my walking schedule from two days a week to 4 days. As far as the nursing goes I know it burns up to 500-800 calories a day.

So I am wondering if a simple increase in exercise can increase weight loss by over 2x?? And is it safe? I want to do this right in order to keep it off in the end.

Something else I am wondering.......I weigh myself at night before bed and then first thing in the morning and sometimes the difference can be astounding. Why is this? Which one is my true weight? How can one drop 5 pounds over night?

lots of questions I know lol but I am perplexed this morning. I have NEVER come this far in my weight loss journey and I am on cloud nine this morning. I seem to have finally lined up all the pieces this time. I am actually enjoying eating well and more clean! I am enjoying walking so much as well. I just want to do this right in every way that way I know for sure I can do it forever.

thank you in advance!!
Anabella04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #2  
doing it for real

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5ft7in

Your calorie intake may be on the slim side, since you are nursing. Although, dropping 5 pounds now and again is not a big deal, I don't think.

Your weight is going to change overnight because of water and other factors. There is no "true" weight. Just pick a time that you want to was, and stick to that, or your weight will bounce around a lot more.
Piper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Well, I'm no medical professional, but here are my thoughts:

For a non-nursing person, I believe 2 pounds per week is considered a safe and healthy rate of weight loss. 1-2 pounds is what I normally hear to aim for. Of course when nursing, we have higher caloric requirements, because of the amount of energy it takes to produce all that milk. You might want to just run it by your doctor, and make sure he/she thinks it's safe.

I would think that it is because of the breastfeeding that you saw such good results - you have a built-in calorie-burning furnace that most of us don't have!

That said, it won't necessarily continue to come off that fast, so don't be surprised or disappointed if it slows down a bit. Initial weight loss is usually more dramatic that what you'll see over the long haul, but that's OK, it's good for the motivation to see a quick initial result.

As for the fluctuations over the course of the day, that's completely normal - water weight, the weight of what you've consumed vs. excreted over the day, etc. Most people here have a set time of day that we weigh (usually first thing in the am, after using the washroom, naked, all jewellery & nail polish removed, before adding make-up, etc. etc.). That helps to factor out the fluctuations.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Good for you!

Here's the deal, as I've experienced it. Sometimes you'll lose a lot in one week, and sometimes you won't lose anything. That's why mostly folks look at average numbers, that is, an average of 1-2 pounds a week.

It's easy for weight to go up and down 2, 3, even more pounds just in the course of a day as people drink more water, eat, and so on. Our bodies are not static. That also is why people weigh different in the morning and the evening.

Most, but not all, weigh the least first thing in the morning.

Pick a time and always weigh at that time! That's what seems to work best, and what will give you accurate tracking.

Keep going!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Some weeks, your body may just drop more than other weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it turns into 2-3 weeks in a row. At that point, I'd try upping my calories a bit.

Have you talked to your doctor about your eating? He/She may have advice for you about the proper amounts to eat and how many extra calories you need to support breastfeeding. Obviously, if you start having milk supply issues, it may be an indicator that you need to get more calories. I'd advise you talk to your doctor if you are concerned.

In terms of dropping 5 lbs overnight, it is a combination of things. Most of us sweat overnight. We use the bathroom in the morning. Even the air we exhale is full of moisture, which has weight. So 8 hours of exhaling/sweating without taking anything in is enough to make a 5 lb water difference. It isn't fat, though, just water fluctuation.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #6  
No description available.

Since both you and your baby are living, breathing things, weight, calories, amt of milk, etc never remain static. What you see on the scale can also vary a bit day to day, depending on fluid, stool, water retention, etc.

1600 calories seems a bit low for nursing a 9 month old, BUT there are many variables to consider. Some 9 month old babies are crawling or cruising or even starting to walk. Others are content to sit and watch the world for a bit longer. The size and activity of the baby will affect how many calories she needs....What kind of solids is the baby taking? Are you exclusively breastfeeding or is she taking cereal, fruit, etc.?

So, there are many factors to consider, but in general the best thing to do is look at the baby. As long as she is growing, meeting milestones, peeing and pooping, etc., then she is getting a good amount of milk.

My guess is the 5 pound drop is likely a one-time event (ahhhh, why not on my scale????), so you may see the scale bop around for a bit or it may remain your new low. As long as the kiddo seems well and content, don't worry too much.

Make sure that your nutrition is solid and well-rounded. On less than 2000 calories a day, you may find it a challenge to get enough protein, calcium, iron, etc...Have plenty of fruits, veggies, low fat dairy and protein and enough healthy fats. A good multivitamin is not a bad idea.

If the weight continues to drop off five pounds a week or the baby begins to appear as though she is not getting enough, add more calories to your day. Also know that some babies hit a growth spurt around nine months, and that, plus their newfound mobility, can increase their calorie needs. No need to panic about that, but just watch the baby. She may increase her breastfeeding frequency to increase your milk supply and that is very normal.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote