Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

In a nutshell

-No-

Exercise to me is absolutely essential...I enjoy it to much to want to have a break.

I might have A day off if I've been doing some heavy sessions but thats about it - its to much a habit to do it and I get "twitchy" if I skip a run or a work out
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #17  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

You ALL kick a$$... please kick my butt like this if you ever see me sliding!

I agree with the others. If you feel your body needs a rest a few days (1 or 2) can be benefical, but don't let yourself slide. Its too easy... and too hard to find the right grrove back. If this is for life we need to be able to figure how how to fit in our health when things get stressful. Exercise infact will probably help relax you more even though it's tiring at first.

I took some time off last October. It was a valid reason someone in the family died, but I never got back to it. I gained All the weight back (+1LB) and I've had to work my a$$ to get down to where I am now which is still 4lbs heavier then I was. So so so not worth it.

If you think you can do the week without failing to return I don't think it would harm anything but make that promise to yourself that no matter what you will take care of yourself and get back to it.

Just keep in mind the less time you take off the easier it is to return to habit.

Last edited by JayEll; 08-30-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #18  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Boy do I feel awful for posting this....\\

I was having a bad day yesterday, can you tell? I even went to bed early because I was depressed. I had to re-home my kitty yesterday before I move this weekend and so I think that was getting to me.

The next thing that's been happening is that my mom has been bringing home junk food almost every night...such as ice cream, kettle chips, cheez-its...the list goes on. Now, we had an aggreement a long time ago that this was a lifestyle change for us and we HAD to permanently change our eating habits ESPECIALLY if we aren't going to meetings and such. I've been ragging on her all the time..I Mean she pulls those chips and cheez-its out 3-4 times a day and every single time I glare at her and ask her "Are you REALLY hungry??" OKay, so I didn't go overboard, I had one serving *counted it out* of the Reduced Fat Cheez-its. The thing is...my mom doesn't and WON'T count her calories so she has no idea how much damage this is doing for her weight-loss and how awful having these foods in the house is making me feel.

I know I can't take a week off...I don't even know what I was thinking. Last week I had the WORST UTI that one could possibly have and I was still running everyday. I have no reason not to exercise this week....like I said, I was just having a bad day.

I think I'm going to take some time off from lifting for a while and focus on cardio more.

Hey, Jay, it's actually going to be beneficial for me to be with my relatives because my parents are not being the support I need, and with being up north I will be eating ONLY my food....ONLY the food I buy and I don't buy junk.

*sigh* Thanks for being hard on me....next time I'll think twice before posting.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Do I ever take a week off? No way! Is it ok for you to take a week off?
Maaaaaybe... it's not recommended because once you get out of the swing of things, it gets difficult to get back in, at least from my experiences. I used to get on a weight loss kick and then take a week off, and then I'd end up never losing weight. If you DO take a week off from exercising, you should find out how many calories you burn as a basal, plus your "lifestyle" (which I find is most accurate set as sedentary) and subtract 500 from it. That should be your caloric limit each day until you can exercise again.

Me... I like to eat way too much and while I normally aim for 1,400 calories right now, I like the leeway that exercise provides (it's great to know that if I screw up, I STILL won't gain and I STILL Will have a deficit!!)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #20  

Oh, now I see that you replied to everyone and I'm just late
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #21  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Oh, now I see that you replied to everyone and I'm just late

no problem babe. Ever have one of those days where you're just like "Ugh, do I HAVE to?" lol. I did exercise yesterday, just not at the gym. Why do I feel so guilty about not going to the gym? Maybe because I've been at the gym EVERY day for 5 months now.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrownEyes View Post
no problem babe. Ever have one of those days where you're just like "Ugh, do I HAVE to?" lol. I did exercise yesterday, just not at the gym. Why do I feel so guilty about not going to the gym? Maybe because I've been at the gym EVERY day for 5 months now.

Oh of course, I have those days plenty of times... but then I find that once I get up and actually go do it, it's not so bad!

Every day for 5 months now eh? You're hardcore!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sheila, please don't be sorry that you posted. No one meant to come down hard on you. It's just that you're doing so very well and we all don't want to see you backslide. Cause' we all know just how easy it is to do that. Everything that was said, was said to help you, please know that.

I know it must be rough having your mom eat those snacks around you. Really difficult in fact. Unfortunately we can't control what those around us eat, we can only control ourselves. Maybe you can speak with her, yet again. But not when the junk comes out - PRIOR to it coming out. Let her know just how difficult it is for YOU to be around it. Ya know, throw a little mother/daughter guilt her way.

I'm glad today is a better day for you and I'm glad to see that you are seeing things a bit more clear and you've come up with an alternative exercise plan for the near future. And please remember we are all here to help and support you, through the good days and the not so good.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sheila -- No wonder you want to take some time off if you've been every day for 5 months!! Typically, experts recommend taking a day or two off regularly -- gives your body time to recuperate.

Quote:
next time I'll think twice before posting.
It's good you posted. Not just for you, but for everyone who reads these posts (I'm sure we have lots of lurkers!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

ah, robin beat me to it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

BabyBrownEyes, it's pretty clear that your mom has decided to go back to "normal" eating, namely junk food all the time, whenever--and that means she will gain back the weight she lost. I guarantee it. Don't you go with her!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #27  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've already thrown the mother/daughter guilt out there. I even say stuff at the store like "Mom, can we maybe buy something healthier because if thats in the freezer I'm going to want to eat ALL of it." She kinda rolls her eyes. Ever since I started calorie counting, she quit her class thinking she can eat whatever she wants....she stopped exercising even though I ask her EVERY single day to go to the gym with me or go for a walk at the park. She always comes up with some excuse even when I tell her "If you go for a walk instead of take a nap, you will feel better later and won't be so tired". *sigh* I've tried to encourage her and all she does is bring me down and tell me to deal with it.

I need to remember these things for when I have children.

I also think I may need to make my workout a little shorter so it doesn't seem like I'm there the whole day...typically with cardio and weights I spend 1 hour 45 mins at the gym. I've even had a trainer ask when I was going to go home because they aren't 24 hour.

If I take a day off I feel like I will gain 10 lbs that day from just taking a day off. Like even though I went walking yesterday, I feel like I gained weight.

Oh...I wanted to address the taco bell thing. That is only for when I'm traveling on the road or that's what the parents are getting for dinner. Unfortunatly I dont have my own income right now so I eat what they do. IF we get it....I order one or two things that are below 200 calories each....so lets say 400 calories, and then I make myself a salad as well. I always save at least 600 calories for dinner because that's the time when I'm hungriest. I feel that a chicken taco or 2 is not going to hinder me...especially if I"m getting my fruits and veggies like I should be. *sigh* But I know everyone has their own opinion. I was just thinking today about cutting taco bell out completely because it tempts me to eat other fast food....even though I haven't fallen into the temptation, I don't want to....so I think I may need to make my own tacos if I want them for the sake of curving my other cravings. Does this make sense? Typically I don't keep tortillas in the house cause they're so high in calories...I hate wasting calories on them.

In any case...I hope to see some weight-loss soon again. I have quit some medication and such so maybe my body is adjusting? Because i'm doing everything pretty much the same as when I started calories counting.

Grrrrrrrrr.....I guess maintaining is better than gaining.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #28  

Take a month off, whats gonna happen?

I think you might miss the exercise and naturally go back to it, so I wouldn't worry about taking "a week off", I reckon youll gravitate back to it anyway.

As long as youre eating a sensible number of calories a day there shouldn't be any problem?

Having said that no, I barely take more than 1 day off a fortnight.

Or am I just a long-walks freak??
emily
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #29  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont take a week off because of "just dont feel like it" or "stress" but I do take weeks off for other things. One of the reasons I dont take "mini vacations" from exercise is sure as shooting the next week either I will be sick or injured or the kids will be sick or something that makes it impossible to exercise. And then watch out!

Plus I need to watch...if i "just dont feel like it" that is a sign of impending depression for me and NOT exercising could make it worse.

I did take 10 days off in a row for illness just last month though. It sucked.

I just saw the "every day for 5 months" part....ok, there I would say absolutely take A day off. But make it a scheduled PLANNED day off, not a "I just dont feel like it day" I never run more than 5 days a week, I try to have one day completely off a week. Its better for your body and then you can work harder the other days. I will admit there are weeks I really really look forward to that day off!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #30  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Hey CRC...I just wanted to say I LOVE that picture of you in your avatar....BEAUTIFUL!!

Well, I just got back from the dentist and I"m off to the gym. A lot of what I was feeling yesterday was depression and usually I curve that with exercise. I KNOW I can't take time off...maybe a day or whatnot, but not a week. It's what keeps me stable and sane. I need those endorphines! I have been lacking in the sleep department so that probably contributed to my lack of desire for the gym, then contributing to my depressed feeling. So I'm going to change the day today!! It's a new day and I'm starting it off with a bang!!

Sorry bout my pity party guys. I don't mean to invite everyone...really.