Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Default When you're too tired to exercise

Well, what do you guys do when you are too tired
to exercise? I mean, first of all, I'm big. I weight over
300 pounds. That right there makes me tired all of the
time. But then I also work full-time. I wake up at 6:00 am
just to make it there on time. Then when I'm done
work I'm so freaking tired.
I get home with no energy at all and then I cook dinner.

How do I fix this? Everyday I feel like a zombie
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Start SLOWLY. How about a 10 minute walk at lunch time? Or right before you make dinner? Then slowly up your time. You can do it!

Last edited by JayEll; 08-29-2007 at 08:00 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #3  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I hear ya. Can you cook a bunch of dinners up on a weekend so that when you get home you don't have to cook, just reheat? There are alot of OAMC(once a month cooking) websites.

You don't have to bite out a while month at once, but do it a week at a time even.

Start walking. It is very good for you. Start out slow. Like 3 days a week for 10 -15 minutes. Make it a habit. Build up from there.

You will gain more energy as you lose weight. I know I did. Sometimes it is just a struggle in the beginning.

Good luck!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #4  

My advice would be...get up 15-20 min earlier in the morning...i know its SOOO hard....but try it for one day at LEAST!!!....i promise if you get up and walk 10-15 min in the morning befor egetting ready for work....it jump starts your metabolism and gives your body energy for allmos tthe whole day...not to mention how much better you feel!! i use to only go walking in the afternoons....when i wasnt so tired after i got off work....ive said for 2 years not im gonna get up and go to the gym in the morning.......and i finally have the past 3 weeks...every morning up at 5:30 walking either at my home...or at the gym....and you wouldnt BELIEVE how much better im feeling.....i still have energy when i get off work to WANT to go walking again!!! Really....you should consider this.....i promise it will make you feel tons better!!!! Let me know if you do do this!! id love to hear the results on your energy level!!!
afb0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the walk at lunch. When I first started watching what i eat and excersizing last year, i started out with a 20 minute walk at my lunch time. I figured since i sit down all day, i didn't need to do it an hour at lunch time too. I know as soon as it cools down here, i'll be out there at lunch time walking for 30 minutes a day, on top of my 5 days a week at the gym. And i do remember, after I started walking on my lunch break, i did start to feel more energetic in the evenings and on the weekends. Talk about a clean house.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Walking at lunch is a good idea.

I try to cook "one pot" meals on Sunday so I don't have to cook everyday. We also grill lots of chicken breast or pork loin so there are leftovers. Then, I have pre-made meals and use the time I would have spent prepping dinner at the gym.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Starting out with short walks at lunch will really boost you. You may also want to try setting up a crock pot in the morning so dinner's ready when you get home. In addition, if I'm making something that has to bake for 45 minutes or an hour I'll get it into the oven and dash out the door. About the time I get back from my walk, it's time to set the table and eat. Much better than sitting on my hiney waiting around for dinner to finish!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, you just do it.

I agree with making dinner ahead of time. I make dinner a couple times per week and reheat the rest of the week. For example today, I put 6 chicken breasts in a crockpot with various spices and tonight, I'll prepare that with veggies and rice which are already cooked.

Last night, I was tired, didn't sleep well the night before, etc but I told myself I needed a walk. So I went for a walk and it actually energized me a little. Every morning, I've also been taking a walk. Some mornings, I struggle but I know it is what I have to do so I do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I agree, 'just do it', but start with little things. If we think in terms of "I HAVE to exercise for 90 minutes on that workout DVD" (or whatever else), it sounds awfully overwhelming, no matter how tired of not tired we are! While thinking in terms of a 10-minutes walk after dinner to start with appears like something way more doable. I could be mistaken on that, but I also think that the heavier/out of a shape a person is, the more effective such little things would be (walking for 20 minutes for instance doesn't change anything for me now, but when I was at my highest and really out of shape, it felt like it was really something, and it was useful--it is probably the same for everyone?).

Also, do you have means of incorporating exercise in useful ways, such as getting down the train one station before work and walking, or biking to work/supermarket, etc? Again, it's all personal experience here, but I find it's easier, even when I'm very tired, to do that rather than to envision things such as "must go to the gym to climb on the elliptical" etc.

Hope this helps.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #10  

Exercise gives you energy. Get walking and you'll be amazed how much better you feel. I get up at 5 am so I can exercise before work. It's all in how we set our priorities. Lots of good advice above. Good luck!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #11  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I just do it. No matter if I'm tired or what. You don't weigh too much more than I did when I started out and I'm an inch taller.

I have to say that using the "I'm heavy so I get tired faster" phrase can be a crutch. Exercise gives you energy...gets those endorphines going which in turn, will make you feel better.

Don't let your weight determine how tired you are. Like everyone else said....even 15 or 20 mins is going to be substantial for you as you first start out. Try doing 3 bouts of exercise at 10 mins each throughout your day. This will really help with your energy level and you WILL see results.

JUST DO IT!!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #12  

I struggle with this all the time. I work 10 hour days, so by the time I'm home, I have a few hours to make dinner, take care of the animals, and get a shower. And somewhere in my exhausted state, I have to work out?! It's hard. But the only way I can manage to do this is make myself. Tell myself I have to. Drag my butt up, and do it. Every day it's a struggle.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Gosh...I wish i could excersize in the morning. It is all i can do to drag myself out of bed to get ready for work. My alarm goes off at 5:30am and i hit it until 6am if i have to shower, if i showered the night before, i hit it until 6:15am. i just have trouble dragging my tired butt out of bed!! lol. But i excersize after work. I just can't wait for it to get cooler so i can start walking at lunch again!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #14  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrownEyes View Post
Try doing 3 bouts of exercise at 10 mins each throughout your day. This will really help with your energy level and you WILL see results.
JUST DO IT!!
That's exactly how I started out and it's true. I think sometimes people, when they start, kind of psych themselves out thinking that exercise means right away you have to do a 30-60 minute intense workout 3 times a week or whatever. They overlook the little things, like taking a walk, or getting up and dancing to music for 10 minutes. You do what you can when you can for as long as you can. I'm still a moderate exerciser and there are some things that are hard for me to do (squats just about kill me so I do a few and I stop those, lol) but there are other things I can do, like walk, jog or dance around my house for an hour. I also have an inflatable punching bag, which is a lot of fun and gets the heart pumping. If you can find ways to make it fun or better for yourself, like playing music or picking up your pace a little when you're walking, it helps. You already know that if you do nothing, you're gonna feel like a zombie every day. See if you can make some small changes either in your schedule, or what you do with that schedule. I mean, exercise aside, do you really want to go through life feeling like a zombie?
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

The other thing I do is to set exercise goals each month (# minutes). I change them depending on how busy my month is, but I find it helps keep me on track. I don't like to fall behind, so push myself to stay on schedule.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote