Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Default The three body types, which one are you, REALLY?

I'm rather fascinated by the idea of the fact that there are three different body types. Of course, I also know that some of us are probably overlapping between two different types, but it's still a neat concept.

If you don't know (I'm sure most of you do, but I'm just stating things again in case you don't), these body types are:

-Ectomorph: THE SKINNY PEOPLE! These people really do have problems trying to gain weight and are meant to be lean. There are some rare occasions of ectomorphs bulking up (either to be more muscular or by extreme overeating, which might make anyone fat... but it is generally much more difficult for an ectomorph to get fat than, say, an endomorph.) Ectomorphs usually have runner-like bodies and have trouble gaining muscle mass.

-Mesamorph: THE FIT PEOPLE! They are generally athletic and have medium bone structures. They do not have much trouble losing OR gaining weight, and they have a much easier time building muscle than ectomorphs.

-Endomorph: THE FAT PEOPLE! Though obviously, they don't HAVE to be. They have naturally large bone structures and (by default) a higher fat distribution. They can put on muscle easily and have a large amount of muscle weight, though it is by default accompanied by fat. They usually have a more difficult time losing weight and due to their bone structures, they look better at a higher weight (like... ever seen people with larger bone structures looking ungodly skinny? They don't look right, at all.)

Me, I'm probably a mesamorph/endomorph combo. My bone structure is medium-large by the wrist standard, the elbow standard, and the ribcage standard. I have broad shoulders and not much of a natural waist indentation, even while thin. I DO gain weight easily if I am at all sedentary, but I am also very physically fit and as long as I stay very active, the pounds stay off. I have an athletic build, and my muscle mass is a combo of lean and bulky. I look my best with a chiseled physique, as thin doesn't work for me (you can tell it's not natural) and I have too much visable/defined muscle mass to pull off "voluptious/curvy"

And you?

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 08-28-2007 at 12:11 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm probably a mesomorph/endomorph combo as well, although I know my bone structure isn't especially heavy (my shoulders and hips are both broad, but I have long, thin fingers, and I've noticed that I have thin enough wrists, now that there isn't one ounce of fat left to hide them ). I also don't have too much problems gaining/losing--if I eat too much and am sedentary, I gain, if I eat normally and am active, I lose/maintain without having to go to painful lengths.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

I think I'm probably mesomorph.
I have a small/medium bone structure, I can easily lose and gain weight, build muscle easily.
I just got fat becasue I love food and hate exercise.
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/205/175

Height: 5'11"

I honestly don't know which one I am, I've never been able to decide.

Ecto - I tend to have lean looking forearms and ankle to calf no matter what weight I'm at.

Mesa - Most of my bone structure is medium and if I stay active I will lose weight steadily or maintain.

Endo - I have straight, broad shoulders and my thighs are both muscular and fatty.

I have no idea which I am, lol.
hotmama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama2three View Post
I honestly don't know which one I am, I've never been able to decide.

Ecto - I tend to have lean looking forearms and ankle to calf no matter what weight I'm at.

Mesa - Most of my bone structure is medium and if I stay active I will lose weight steadily or maintain.

Endo - I have straight, broad shoulders and my thighs are both muscular and fatty.

I have no idea which I am, lol.
you're just so awesome that you get to be a little bit of everything
Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/205/175

Height: 5'11"

Haha, lol, you crack me up, thanks!!
hotmama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I think there might be way more than three types. I have very small bones, but I put on fat very easily.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I think there might be way more than three types. I have very small bones, but I put on fat very easily.
There could quite possibly be - those are just the three *known* types... people can also be crossbetweens... maybe you're a strange crossbetween of ectomorph and endomorph - it's possible
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/164/155

Height: 5'9

I'm definitely a mesomorph. I gain muscle easily and even weighing 175 I'm a comfortable size ten and my BF is 26%, which isn't terrible. At 150, I'm a size 6/8.

Yeah, it's funny. I ALWAYS lose inches before I lose any actual weight.
lorettadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

Once, in a nutrition class I took in College talked about using these classifications along with a waist to hip ratio. Apparently, what is considered a classical hollywood ratio is 0.69, someone like Jessica Alba or something. My waist to hip ratio is about 0.76, which with what my professor said, makes me an endomorph...even though I think I'm not quite fat....
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
My bone structure is medium-large by the wrist standard, the elbow standard, and the ribcage standard. I have broad shoulders and not much of a natural waist indentation, even while thin.
Okay, I seriusly never heard of any of these... care to explain to me? I only heard of the wrist standard, but what are the others? And what is considered "broad" for shoulders?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover View Post
Okay, I seriusly never heard of any of these... care to explain to me? I only heard of the wrist standard, but what are the others? And what is considered "broad" for shoulders?
Sure, the elbow standard is extending your arm out at a 90 degree angle and measuring the bone /elbow breadth from end of your elbow to the other... horizontally, of course. Mine is almost 3", which as a woman of 5'6" is considered on the larger end, bone wise. Ribcage... just measure your ribcage (not your breasts - the top of your ribcage which should be all bone). If it's under 33", then you're small. If it's 34-36", you're medium. If you're 37"+ then you're large.

I'm not sure what is considered broad, but I know my shoulders are rather... manly. My dad has always commented on my broad shoulders. He didn't mean it in a mean way, but I'm self conscious about my shoulders now! haha
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #13  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

My frame is somewhat large, and it's generally pretty easy for me to gain muscle and gain/lose fat. I'd put myself on a continuum between meso and endo; when I don't exercise or I'm on the medication I was on for several years, I slide more towards endo. Now that I've got my metabolism back thanks to exercise, I'm much closer to meso. Does that make any sense?

EDIT: NightengaleShane>> I thought I had a large frame, but maybe not -- my elbow is 3.25", but my ribcage is considered small I'm so confused!

Last edited by maalisse; 08-28-2007 at 01:42 PM.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalisse View Post
My frame is somewhat large, and it's generally pretty easy for me to gain muscle and gain/lose fat. I'd put myself on a continuum between meso and endo; when I don't exercise or I'm on the medication I was on for several years, I slide more towards endo. Now that I've got my metabolism back thanks to exercise, I'm much closer to meso. Does that make any sense?

EDIT: NightengaleShane>> I thought I had a large frame, but maybe not -- my elbow is 3.25", but my ribcage is considered small I'm so confused!
Hahaha, it isn't uncommon to be big boned in some places but not others.

My girlfriend has a small frame, but REALLY BIG wrists. She's very thin, but she also looks fit without trying, so I'd put her in the ectomorph-mesamorph category - more ectomorph though since she isn't actually physically fit, she just has a low percentage of body fat.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #15  
sfj

I am a flat out Endomorph.
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote