Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 AM   #1  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Default Question about outdoors and how heat affects you

I haven't seen this situation listed on here, so I am going to ask and see if I am the only one with this problem.

Today, my oldest daughter's team had a scrimmage. It was hot out, yet, other parents were sitting/standing in the sun, with jeans and pants on, not breaking a sweat. Myself- I was in the shade area, sitting, sweating my tail off, wishing I had brought my trusty water jug with ice water and a face cloth in it, to cool my skin down.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does it go away once the weight is off? It is so embarrassing to have to do this at games where it is hot out, and some days, I am sitting in the direct sun, so the ice water jug with the face cloth is necessary, or I can't stay and watch the games. I also drink lots of water during the games to keep hydrated, yet I am still hot and dehydrated by the time I leave the fields.

I also have this problem at outdoor BBQ's, weddings and parties during the summer months. If there is no lake, pool or ocean to cool off, I am miserable.

Please tell me this stops once the weight is off. I am so frustrated and embarrassed by this- I had one parent last year ask me if I had a medical problem (I don't), as she's never seen anyone do this before at games.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, yes and no.

Heat gets more comfortable. However, I've found that "Once a heavy sweater, always a heavy sweater". I still sweat like mad, but I don't get as flushed or as uncomfortable.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

This is another thing we have in common! Iowa is such a humid state, and on a hot day without a breeze, I can soak my clothing in sweat. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable. It takes all the fun out of summer. I become and recluse and mostly only go out after dusk.

I'm definitely hoping to be able to tolerate heat more in the future... Even if only a little bit, as any improvement would have a huge impact on the quality of my summers.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #4  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Oh yes, I hate the heat! Living in AZ, that's not a good arrangement. I'm not sure if such a thing can be hereditary, but my father often suffers from horrible heat sickness, and I do too. I need a drink and some shade if I'm out for too long, and I burn extra-crispy to boot.

I REALLY hope it gets better when I'm at goal!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSharing83 View Post
This is another thing we have in common! Iowa is such a humid state, and on a hot day without a breeze, I can soak my clothing in sweat. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable. It takes all the fun out of summer. I become and recluse and mostly only go out after dusk.

I'm definitely hoping to be able to tolerate heat more in the future... Even if only a little bit, as any improvement would have a huge impact on the quality of my summers.
I think we're soul sisters in weight loss.

I love summer, so long as I can go swimming to cool off. I'm kind of glad their practices have been in the early mornings when it's cooler- I walk the track at both schools and get my five miles in a day during that time. Today was just brutal, though, yet the game started at four in the afternoon- you'd think where it was later in the day it wouldn't have been as hot out.

Thanks for all the replies- glad I'm not the only one who goes through this. I'll just keep bringing my water jug and face cloth, with the hopes that this time next year, I'll be a lot lighter and hopefully have a better tolerance for the heat.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #6  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I used to feel the heat a LOT and sweat buckets, but since I've lost the weight I find that I am actually hanging out for warmer weather. The cold weather REALLY gets to me now, whereas I used to definitely be a winter person. Still, I'd rather be smaller and cold, than bigger and hot, so I suppose I just have to wait a while for my body to adjust to the new weight.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings from Florida!

I've had problems with overheating also--and that's what my problem is, not dehydration. I was on a field trip once here in Fla. during the summer, and I had plenty of water but still got dizzy just from the heat. I couldn't cool off! I was pretty much sick in bed the rest of the day.

I learned to make sure I had not just water, but ICEwater, with me. I freeze a half-full plastic bottle of water on its side, and then fill it up with water just before I go out. And, I try to stay out of the sun and I always wear a hat.

I'm happy to say that having lost weight, though, the heat does not bother me as much. I used to be the one who wanted the air conditioning just a little colder, please--and now I don't feel uncomfortable at the usual setting. In fact, sometimes I raise the temperature.

So, have hope! It will change!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

A year ago, before I started losing weight, I was HOT HOT HOT all the time. I didn't want to go outside because I felt the heat was so opressive and I was just miserable. Even inside with the thermostat set on 72* I would be uncomfortable. Weight loss has changed all of the dramatically! Now the opposites are true: I'm cold most of the time. I have a jacket with me all the time, and wear it more often than not. Restaurants, church, etc., I need a jacket! I now look forward to going outside. In fact, I put two new chairs on our font porch this summer to give myself a break from the air conditioning in the house! Our thermostat is now set on 75*, 3 degrees warmer than I ever had it, and I wear a sweatshirt jacket almost all the time in the house. We've been under a heatwave/heat advisory here in St Louis for the last 2-3 weeks. Wednesday we broke an old record with a temperature of 105* and a heat index of 114*. I drove around all day with my windows open and never used the air in the car. It felt FABULOUS! Hang in there, you'll be surprised how your body temperature changes as you lose the weight!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #9  

I'm a sweater. Big time. I sweat when everyone else is perfectly comfortable. It's embarrassing, and annoying. I imagine once some of the "insulation" comes off, it won't be AS bad. But I know that heavy sweaters run in my family, so I can't get away from it unless I go and get surgery to actually remove sweat glands. With time it should get more comfortable, though. At least that is what I am told. :-)
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I think some of it is hereditary. I am not a sweater. Never have been. I glissen in gym class, but no big drops of sweat to roll down my face or body. My boyfriend on the other hand, trim, fit, sweats like it's raining outside. All he has to do it walk outside in the heat and he'll have drops of sweat rolling off his head. We went putt putting at night time the other day. Not me, or my two girls had any trouble with sweat, but bless his heart, his shirt was soaked by the time we finished playing. Some people are just sweaters. I hope that's not your problem, and I'm not trying to dash any hopes. It probably depends on the rest of your family. Are they big sweaters???? No one in my family is...except my younger, half brother. But he also weighs about 250 or more.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #11  

Haha, I'm neither a sun nor cold person. I suffer from heat strokes occasionally - in Florida, sometimes I could hardly finish (or couldn't finish) Physical Education classes. But I'm always shaking cold in restaurants in summer, much less in the snow I will soon enough experience....
However, I did not notice a big difference at my highest weight (185) to now when it comes to how I deal with temperatures. I've just always been a baby about it, hahaha.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #12  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

heat + humidity = one cranky Tash.

*nods*
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #13  
Closed

I don't do as well in the heat. I notice it when I'm bicycling. I might only go half as far on a hot humid day and I'll feel like I'm going to die. In the winter when I go hiking, I just wear a shirt down to about 45 degrees or less because I heat up so much from exertion.

Fat insulates your body core. Heat can't get out as quickly. Cold can't get in. If your plane crashes in the desert and you and the skinny survivors decide to hoof it through the sunshine, you can expect to be one of the first to die from overheating if you're overweight, but if your plane crashes in snow country and nobody has coats, you'll do better off than most as far as your temperature goes because you're insulated. Of course you'll still be struggling to get up hills. As long as you keep moving your core will stay warm even though your skin will be icy cold.
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #14  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

The NY Times just did an article about sweating that was very interesting. One quote that explains why different people sweat in different amounts is:

"Some people have fewer than two million sweat glands; some have as many as four million. Heavy sweaters may have glands five times average size; their big glands are more sensitive to nerve stimuli and make more sweat."

The article is here (you may need to log in to read):
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/he...th&oref=slogin
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #15  
Closed

There are vests you can buy to cool your core.
http://www.stacoolvest.com/

Some of the military in Iraq use these because it's 120 degrees and they're wearing full body armor. I've seen cooling vests for pets too. Much cheaper.
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote