Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #16  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Good point, Belly Buster. I want to lose mainly because I shouldn't weigh this much at this short height. I work in a technical field and I feel like I'm often judged on my appearance rather than my mind. You know the usual prejudices... fat people must be lazy and dumb if they can't control their eating. *I* know that's not true, but I also know the general population can be very petty and cruel.

Most of my family is overweight. My husband's family is overweight. So, there's not much of a stigma amongst those close to me. Yes, it is far easier to just settle back into the routine, and I usually do. Of course, fear of disease is always nagging at me. I don't want diabetes, or some other long term problem. Guess I need to play on those fears more.

Why can't it be easier? *pout*
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

wurdnerd, I have had a similar problem with sugars and still have this problem. When I'm eating high carb, I can't seem to get enough. I did Atkins to reach my goal, then after 6 months of maintenance, I switched to calorie counting. This has worked fairly well for me until the last couple of months. I felt my cravings were increasing and I was having regains of 4-5 lbs. that I was constantly trying to take off again. I've now learned that to take off a regain, I have to go back to what worked to begin with to take the wt. off. Which was limiting my carbs. (Not really back to the Atkins level but lower than what I was used to). I've now lowered my carbs for several days again and my body is finally feeling thinner again and the cravings are gone.

I guess what I'm getting at, is I use Atkins as a tool, not as my complete plan. I still eat plenty of fruit. I still use only lean meats. I eat plenty of veggies. I keep track of my cal's on Fitday as well as my carbs. I use LF salad dressing, LF mayo., LF sour cream, LF cream cheese and LF cheese. I'm keeping my carbs at 50 grams a day or less and my calories at 1300-1400.

Like you, I found that I can't live my whole life without pasta, but I can limit my portion and eat a bunch of veggies and salad with it to keep me satisfied.

Like others have mentioned you have to find the plan that works best for you. This often entails modifying a plan to what will work for YOU.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #18  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

*sigh* Everyone has made such good points.

I know I'm nothing but a spoiled brat when it comes to food. I realize I won't die if I don't get my favorite treats, yet that inner brat can be really obnoxious when it doesn't get what it wants.

I'm going to use South Beach as a template and see where that takes me. My biggest challenge will be planning ahead... having legal foods handy and no bad choices available. There is no food group that I truly dislike, so I think I'll do fine once I discipline myself. I was in the military for goodness sake. I should be able to make myself do this!

I do want to thank everyone for the great comments. I've been to another board where the "regulars" dish out far more snark than helpful advice. (I'm sure some of you WW members know exactly which board I'm talking about.)

Cheers!
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Tamara,

I would add (if someone hasn't already said it) that there's nothing wrong with going slow. Make one substitution or change at a time. I've read that it takes 28 days to "learn" a new habit (or unlearn an old habit). Trying to make many changes all at once can sabotage the best efforts and make a person feel like a failure, which can snowball. Any healthy change I've made has been better than what I had BEEN doing. Heck, even NOT gaining is evidence of success in its own way.

Good luck and check back often for the GREAT support here.

Mary
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
*sigh* Everyone has made such good points.

I know I'm nothing but a spoiled brat when it comes to food. I realize I won't die if I don't get my favorite treats, yet that inner brat can be really obnoxious when it doesn't get what it wants.
!
You made me laugh. But I most certainly know what you mean. Oh how I wish there were some way to eat what I want, when I want it AND be at a healthy weight. But that's just not the case . I finally, finally, FINALLY realized that I simply can not have it both ways. At 42 years of age, I finally opted for the healthy weight - and the heck with all that other stuff. Yup, it's a struggle sometimes, takes lots of planning (which I've come to love and rely on) but like I said before - so very worth it. I wouldn't go back to my old life and my old eating habits for any money in the world. Being, fit, trim and healthy, full of energy, looking good and feeling good (and having a phenomenal wardrobe) feels better then any of that food ever tasted.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #21  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

As a sugar/starchaholic, I can vouch for Southbeach. The first two weeks, phase 1, are to help you break the sugar addiction. And, it really works. Then, you are in phase 2 which is the way you will eat for the duration of your weight loss. In phase 2, you are eating all lean proteins, lots of veggies, fresh fruit and whole grains with a limited amount of healthy fats...and no added sugars or high fructose corn syrup. I never thought I could break the addiction, but it does work. Now, if I can just break the desire to eat when I'm feeling down! I wonder if that feeling ever goes away.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #22  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, for breaking the sugar addiction, I think Atkins and South Beach work really well. I lost my first 20 lbs a year and a half ago on South Beach Phase I, but fell off the wagon trying to "eat healthy" (high carb/low fat) for a year after that. I started Atkins in late June--and I haven't been perfect (I tend toward binging on junk when I'm stressed...and I've been VERY stressed), but I've lost 12 pounds so far on Atkins. Best part is I'm NEVER hungry.

I'm going to stick with Atkins until I'm at goal and VERY slowly transition to a higher carb count. I'll probably schedule in a "cheat" day once a month where I can have whatever I want to keep myself on track once I'm maintaining. I think South Beach or Atkins are great options--though having done both, I've got to say I like Atkins better.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #23  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Wurd -

If you're afraid of the withdrawl you don't have to do those induction type weeks... the point of them it to make it easier on yourself because the cravings go away autmatically but they aren't required.

I'm not a big low-carb advocate, but I'm a big fan of getting rid of the bad carbs because like the others mentioned above without them I'm able to control myself better. I'm not all that hungry, and I really don't desire them that much... which is HUGE for me I have such a sweet tooth!

Without induction it will take a few weeks for the kinks to work out of your system, but if you're patient you can get there without the horible first days. The key to beging able to get through the first few weeks like Robin said is cold-turkey. if you have issues with something take it OUT of the house.

It doesnt mean you can't have carbs either it's just a matter of choosing te right ones 90 percent of the time! I still have coffees with real syrup and vitamuffins and so on. Nothing is technically off limmits, but I choose not to keep certain things in my house because I know that bowl of lucky charms is going to lead to me eatting the whole box.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #24  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Wurdnerd -
Sent you a PM.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #25  

Wink Dear Sugar addict

I know what you mean, I have found the 12 step program Food Addicts in Recovery the only solution that has worked for me. www.foodaddicts.org has information on local meetings in your area or phone numbers. Many people utilize this program from places where no other members live. I have been going up and down the scale since I was 13 yrs old and struggling with my weight for all that time. I have been through several diets, regimes, etc. including only eating raw food, you name it. I am 5'7 1/2" and 51 now. I came in to FA when I was 47 and weighted 160 lbs. I now weight 120 lbs (perfect for my frame) and have not eaten any sugar or flour for over 4 1/2 years. I am grateful each day for freedom from food addiction and have healthy plentiful meals. I never ever thought this would be possible.

Here are a few meetings in Colorado: Colorado:

Monday
Denver 7pm, Trinity United Methodist Church, 1820 Broadway, Mary 720-535-8228

Thursday
Denver 7pm, First Avenue Presbyterian Church, 120 W. 1st Ave, Mary 415-269-0851

Saturday
Denver 9:30am, University Park United Methodist Church, 2180 So. University Blvd, Mary 415-269-0851

Last edited by levinmar; 08-16-2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling
levinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #26  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Wurd, I am one of those "modifiers". I lost 25lbs doing south beach over a year ago, tough, but I liked how the weight just sort of fell off. But then, I sort of gave up on it and myself and gained some of it back. The one thing that didn't work for me was the percieved lack of structure that it gave me. I gave myself permission to eat all the cheese and nuts that I wanted. I know you aren't suppose to have an unlimited supply, but I did. So this time I am following some of the rules of south beach (healthy carbs, etc) and the structure of counting points with WW, and using the food pyramid concept so I keep my diet balanced. It has only been a week, but so far I feel in control, I have been able to have a treat or two, and I feel healthy and satisfied.

Give yourself permission to take care of yourself and do something good for you. I agree with some of the others in that it is ok to start slow and easy. Give up something that would be somewhat easy, but could make you feel successful, (ie, if you drink a lot of pop, cut your intake in half for a week), then you just build on that until you feel like you can really take the plunge.

You can do this!! Stay positive and don't let that spoiled inner voice be louder than the healthy voice is!
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote