Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default What do you think of this article? Anybody?

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displa...le.php?aid=157
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #2  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

That was a good article. The pic was gross.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Mistress Krista is my hero. She presents invaluable information, all of it meticulously researched and well written. She gives no-BS, no gimmick training and nutrition advice, all of it solid. IMO, the linked article is spot on target.

OT: I had the pleasure of meeting Krista a few (gah, seven!) years back. She's as smart, funny, and downright awesome in person as she is in her on-line persona.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Ugh those pictures might turn me vegetarian again. Soylent green is PEOPLE! Ugh again.

Good article though, makes a lot of sense, I'm a firm believer in portion control.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Well, I can definitely relate to myth number one. I was completely convinced there was something wrong with my metabolism that would prevent me from losing weight, but it turns out that once I started limiting my calories, the pounds started coming off, just like they are supposed to.

The other day as I was walking into the gym, there was another long-term member walking in at the same time. I see this guy there all the time, doing cardio, weights, whatever. And he has a fairly large beer belly that just never gets any smaller. As we are walking into the gym he comments that I've really managed to get myself into shape and then says that he hasn't been able to do this because of his metabolism. It was all I could do not to say "yeah, that's what I thought too, until I started counting calories."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

It's all so true! Thanks for the wake up call!!!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #7  

I really appreciate the pictures. I can't quite put to words what I mean but ... it's something like ... you can see the importance of some fat, how it helps with shape and the fact that it's all around and through.
If you look at the diameter of the thighbone and then at the breadth of muscle between it and the outside of the leg ... the muscle really doesn't take up much space. Since it's so hard for women to build much muscle mass, we'll have to keep in mind just how really really thin a thigh without fat would be.
And your butt! You'd have a butt-crack about 6 inches wide and seriously no booty!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I love, love, LOVE that article. Amazing. It held my attention and made me laugh.

I used to think my metabolism was slow. Now, I'm not sure, since the weight is coming off at a slow, healthy, but steady rate. I wish it would fly off, but unless I'm practicing unhealthy measures, that's not going to happen. I still wonder why some people are bigger and some are smaller when both people eat the same amount of food... I think I'll post a thread about this.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

What a great article, and how true.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Terrific article. I have been faithfully measuring my food out for three weeks now and I am amazed at how little a serving size is. No wonder I weigh so dang much!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like the article and the pictures don't bother me. They are pretty interesting. I can only imagine what my cross-section looks like
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I love this article. I've lied to myself plenty in the past about metabolism, what I'm actually eating, how active I am, etc., and I see people do it all the time. People talk to me about how I've lost weight and when I explain the harsh reality -- counting calories and LOTS of exercise -- they often still don't get it. Or they do, but they don't want to actually do the work, which I can understand because I didn't do it for YEARS. They say things like "I walk around a lot on my job -- I don't understand why that doesn't take some weight off." Well, walking to someone's desk a few times a day is hardly the same as sweating it out on a treadmill or powerwalking a few miles, and I wonder if they know the difference and just don't want to sweat it out. Also, a lot of people just sort of stroll instead of pushing themselves. A stroll around the block is better than sitting down and eating some ice cream, yes, but you do have to push yourself. It's uncomfortable, and we don't like being uncomfortable. What finally did it for me was realizing that I'd take ANY discomfort over the discomfort of being obese the rest of my life. Compared to that, running 10 miles and counting calories is nothing.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Now, I'd go to a trainer like that. I like the no nonsense practicality. People do have an incredible capacity to fool themselves.

However, the size of a portion of pasta continues to shock no matter how many times I weigh it out.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

LOL I was sitting there wondering what my cross section would look like too. I liked the article. But sadly, I was also thinking of my daughter while reading it. She was just diagnosed with PCOS. Now the doctor told her that can cause her to gain weight and may cause adult diabetes later in life, along with a host of other problems, but that she could control them through diet and exercise.

I believe what my daughter heard was...they can cause you to gain weight. Then possibly shut out the rest. So at 270+, she's developing an "excuse" for her weight. And nevermind the PCOS, she has a host of other problems, exacerbated by her weight. I hope she soon realizes there was more to what the doctor stated and it pushes her to try even harder to lose.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #15  

I had to remind myself that Krista's article was targetted at normal folks ... not morbidly obese, not metabolically ailing etc.