Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Meaurements all screwy???

Okay....so i was on wal-marts website looking at clearanced clothes. I was checking out the sizing chart. According to the measurements i take at home, I wear a size 10 shirt, a size 16 pants in the waist and a size 8 pants in the hips!!!! How crazy is that????? Maybe i am measuring my waist wrong. The size 8 pants that i am wearing now are a 33 inch waist. They are not too snug, they are not too loose. They fit just perfect around my belly button. But when i measure my belly button at home, i get about a 36 or 36 1/2 (depending on where the tape measure falls across my back). Should i probably be pulling the tape measure a little tighter or go ahead and consider my waist in clothing to be a 33 inch waist??? I'm so confused. And still with a 33 inch waist, it says i should be a size 16?!?!? If that's so...how can i be wearing a size 8 pants?????
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Measure the waistband on your pants, and see what they "actually" measure as, compared to what their listed size is.

I have this problem a LOT, because I have a high, small waist and *big* boobs. If I sized everything I wore for my boobs, the rest of me would be swimming in my clothes!

I think sizing charts are wrong quite frequently, so you just have to try things on, unfortunately. This is especially true of mass sellers like Target, Old Navy, etc who are cutting many items at once - the fabric on the top of the stack will end up with different measurements than the fabric on the bottom, so even though they are all "size 10" the actual measurements aren't the same. Does that make sense?
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My waist measurement is always bigger--it's just the way my body is. I often buy men's clothing for some things because it fits me better. For example, I have women's size 16 jeans. They fit in the waist, but they are baggy everywhere else.

All you can do is try clothing on and see what fits. I don't go by sizes much because they really mean nothing. I try to begin with the range of sizes that I think will work and go from there.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post
Okay....so i was on wal-marts website looking at clearanced clothes. I was checking out the sizing chart. According to the measurements i take at home, I wear a size 10 shirt, a size 16 pants in the waist and a size 8 pants in the hips!!!! How crazy is that????? Maybe i am measuring my waist wrong. The size 8 pants that i am wearing now are a 33 inch waist. They are not too snug, they are not too loose. They fit just perfect around my belly button. But when i measure my belly button at home, i get about a 36 or 36 1/2 (depending on where the tape measure falls across my back). Should i probably be pulling the tape measure a little tighter or go ahead and consider my waist in clothing to be a 33 inch waist??? I'm so confused. And still with a 33 inch waist, it says i should be a size 16?!?!? If that's so...how can i be wearing a size 8 pants?????
Whoa...slow down!

I am a costume maker/seamstress part time, and your measurements don't sound way off. Honestly, it sounds like you are an "apple" figure type, meaning that you are thicker through the chest and the waistline, and smaller in the legs and hips. Is this true?

Clothing is made for the hourglass figure, or someone whose waist is defined and smaller than their hips. Most hourglasses have a waist that is 8-12" smaller than their hips.

If you are an apple figure type, then you don't have much of a defined waistline.

A pear figure is the opposite of yours. They are larger on the bottom half, so they might wear a 10 top, and a 12 or 14 jeans. You are larger on top than on bottom-an apple.

Most jeans don't fit at your natural waist-so the measurment of the top of your jeans is NOT going to be the same as your waist measurement. My jeans fit just below my belly button, while my actual waist is a little above my belly button-so my waistline is smaller than the top of my jeans. (I'm hourglass.)

Wear what fits. If you wear jeans that fit below your natural waistline, then use your hip measurement for your jeans. (size 8) Since the pants don't actually sit on your waist anyway in most people-the hip measurement is what you are after.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

aphil....at first i didn't understand what you meant about using my hip measurement....i thought you meant use my hip measurement as my waist....hahahahaha. okay...well, that makes me feel better. because according to the "walmart" sizing chart, a 39 hip is size 10 and a size 38 is a size 8 (which helps me understand how i can fit into a size 8. I think i will start using the hip measurements and forget about waist. If most women are not an hour glass anymore, why don't they update the sizing chart. Back years ago when my sister in law was marrying my brother, she asked me to be a bridesmaid. We had to order my dress out of a catalog. I had just had a baby and not back to my pre-pregnancy size. So according to the "measurements" i ended up with a dress that was a good 3 sizes too big!!! No time to return so we had to have it altered the best we could!!! Thanks Aphill for the good advice!!! I feel much better now!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post
According to old navy's website I wear a size 14 top a size 10 waist and a size 2 hips.

How low a rise makes a huge difference when you have an apple shape. If I wear high waisted jeans I need the full size 10. Just below waist I am kind of stuck between a 6 and an 8. Low rise I am a 4/6 but I wont wear that (and the thighs are too tight) For kicks I tried on the "ultra-low-better go commando and be 16" jeans and I was indeed able to button a size 2 although I couldnt sit because my thighs were too big.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #7  

Actually, there are 3-4 basic body types, and they make the clothing more hourglass because if they made them for apples, pears, or cylindar/straight up and down-then they wouldn't fit anyone BUT the single body type they were made for.

If I wore clothing made for an apple, I would be holding the waist of them up, and the butt would be skin-tight.

Hourglasses and pears are actually more common than apple figures...but...you have the advantage of a low rise jean now, which fits an apple well, because the waist isn't a factor in the fit.

I can't wear low rise jeans...if I wear them to fit my butt, they fall off because they are so straight cut-the top of them fall to "butt crack" level because I am smaller waisted.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
I can't wear low rise jeans...if I wear them to fit my butt, they fall off because they are so straight cut-the top of them fall to "butt crack" level because I am smaller waisted.
Yeah, I have this problem, too. I've stopped wearing low-rise pants because I got sick of my dbf pointing at my butt and saying, in all his maturity, "say no to crack."
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalisse View Post
Yeah, I have this problem, too. I've stopped wearing low-rise pants because I got sick of my dbf pointing at my butt and saying, in all his maturity, "say no to crack."
Yep...my DH is just as mature.