Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #16  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

I definitely agree that zig-zagging isn't for everyone. As long as you are careful with your calculations, though, there's no reason it would be harmful to use as a plateau-breaking strategy. Personally I wouldn't use it as an every-day weight-loss strategy, but we are all definitely "built" differently, and different things work for all of us!

Since the OP is already does zig-zagging, like others have mentioned it might be worth a try to hold steady for a bit, stay hydrated, and work the weights. I'd be interested to hear what works for you, onthetee, if you don't mind updating us.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #17  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalisse View Post
A big "I HEAR YOU" from me! That is too familiar. I'm at 5'5", and I'm hovering between 155.5 and 156.5. It's only been about 3 weeks, and I'm still ready to rip my hair out if I see either of those numbers one more time!

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice, but I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk. Good luck!
Actually, it makes me feel better than you know to know that I am not the only one considering ripping out my hair. I wonder how many pounds in a handful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminky View Post
I checked out my old journals from when I was twenty. When I started exercising regularly and watching what I ate, it took me six weeks to see the scale budge. I know it was because I was losing fat and gaining muscle. After the six week mark I started losing about a pound or two a week, sometimes none, sometimes 5.

I think your best bet is to add weight training. You will not see the scale change dramatically at first, but your will get tighter and smaller.
I would love smaller and tighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
It sounds like you are doing a great job and I'm sorry you aren't seeing the results on the scale. Here are a couple of other suggestions:

Have you taken your measurements? The scale does not always cooperate so it is a good idea to have another way to measure your progress. Taking your measurements once a month is an excellent alternative to the scale. Speaking of which, how are your clothes fitting? The same way they were six weeks ago or are they loser?

I agree with Jayell, maybe try eating a steady calorie amount instead of ziz zagging. It doesn't sound like zig zagging is working for you. Personally, it doesn't work for me. I lose much more consistently when I eat consistently. Have all those up and down days throws my body for a loop and I end up retaining a lot of water.

You don't say how you feel on your diet. Are you hungry a lot or do you feel full a lot of the time? If you are feeling hungry, maybe you need to add 100 or so calories to your diet. This once got me off a plateau. On the other hand, if you feel full most of the time, maybe you could drop another 100 calories from your diet.
I have not taken my measurements mainly because I don't think I would keep up with tracking it. My clothes are different in the rear and the same in the middle. My legs look better just because of the running. They were not the issue in the beginning. If my hips matched my legs, I would not be here.

Zig-Zagging is not really intentional. It is the throw back to my WW days and the idea of Flex points. If my target is 1300, then I have room to fudge up to 300 cals.

I go to bed hungry sometimes. If I am really hungry, I will eat a few carrots with hummus to get me throw. Only 40 cals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Don't despair! I once had a 3-month plateau - on the scale at least. During that time though I increased my exercise and went down 2 sizes. So yes, weight training will help, and by tracking your measurements you'll see that your body is changing even if the scale isn't.

And you might tweak your protein a little higher, and be sure that the fats you're eating are the "good" fats rather than stuff from processed foods. Hang in there - it will work, just not as fast as you'd like.
No processed foods in this house very often. Though my sodium is pretty high, mostly from cheese. Your three-month changes are VERY encouraging. DH says I am getting a 'runner's body' no matter what the scale says.

thanks for all of the support, everyone. I will start weight training, drinking more and I WILL PUSH ON!!

Of course we leave for 16 days on Friday, but all of our hotels have gyms and indoor pools. I bought new jog bras and running shorts so that I have enough to get me to our designated laundry day.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #18  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Two days in a row I have been at 154.6. I don't think the few second of weight training I got in yesterday before the sitter called made a difference, but I suspect the water did.

Thanks for all the support, ideas and commiseration.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote