Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #1  

Default Air Travel

I'm going on vacation in a few months and this will be my first time flying since 2001. With the new policies put in place making plus size travelers purchases two tickets, I am a bit uncomfortable.

The last time I flew, I weighed 280 and was at the "end of my rope" with the seat belt. (The person who sat in the seat before me must've been plus sized because the seatbelt was already pulled to the max.) LOL. Anyway, I am now 316-318 and know that I may need an extension. At what point during check in should I ask for one? Also, will I be asked my weight and will they make me purchase a ticket for a second seat? This is the one portion of my trip that I am not anticipating.
DMS42Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello, DMS42Fan!

This is something you had best find out before you make your reservations. Call customer service for the airline on which you're planning to fly and ask them! Tell them your current weight. At least this way you can plan ahead for the additional cost, if it is to be enforced. I'm certain that you would be more comfortable with a belt extender, if you could barely use the unextended one last time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Weight is a funny thing, because I'm 260 and thought I might need an extender, but it turns out that I had slack with the regular belt and needed to tighten it. I'm guessing that has to do with the fact that I'm tall, and weight is distributed differently.

Good idea to call ahead of time, though.

Here's a tip about water: You can't bring any water with you through the security checkpoint (in US, anyway), but you can buy a bottle on the other side of the checkpoint to take on the plane with you. If the airport is small and has no vendors on the other side of the checkpoint, you can bring an empty water bottle and fill it up from a drinking fountain.

Enjoy your travel!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've flown a bit in my current weight range (280-310) and have NEVER been asked my weight. They really can't determine anything about your size based on your weight because 2 different women the same height and weight can be proportioned so differently that one may need to purchase a second seat while the other won't even need a seat belt extender. So I'm 99.9% sure no one will ask you your weight

As for the seat belt extender, no need to worry about it until you're SURE you need it. I thought I might need one, but I never have. The only way to know is once you get ON the plane and sit in the seat. They will have the extenders on board, and one of the flight attendants will get it for you, so no need to mention it to anyone prior to boarding
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #5  

I would definitely call and ask their policy, that way you avoid any embarrassing situations in front of an airport full of people. I haven't flown anytime recently, so I don't know how it would go. It depends on the person. Like everyone has said, we all carry out weight in different places.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think that if you find that the seat belt will not buckle, you can ask the attendant for an extender when s/he is making the seat belt check. It is the airline's responsibility to provide the extender, if needed. It's an FAA rule!

I don't know about the ticketing. Like someone else said, it can't hurt to call customer service. A friend of mine waited 90 minutes on hold not too long ago, so good luck!

Also, look on the internet. There may be some general info. And, check the Americans With Disabilities Act stuff. It may say something in there about obesity.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

I've flown a lot in the last 5 years. At my top weight I was 300 pounds (and very big because I'm short) and few both domestically and internationally. I carry the a lot of my weight in my hips and stomach. I've only used an extender once and that is because it was left on the seat. (I was always to embarassed to ask for one so instead delt with being very uncomfortable.) I was never asked my weight or told to purchase another ticket.

The web site seat guru provides a list of which seats are the best and how big the seat are on individual airlines. You might want to see what airline/plane has larger seats and see if you can book a ticket on that airline. It might be more expensive for the individual ticket but probable cheaper then buying two tickets. You also could set up a "seat" by measuring out the width and setting up something like books at the edge to see if you would be able to physically fit in it, if it is close then I probable wouldn't buy two because you can squeeze. But that is just my opinion.

Oh one more point if you are concerned that they will not have seat belt extenders they will that is what they use to do the demo of how to buckel a seat belt. I have heard that if you ask in advance sometimes they will already have them on the seat for you so you don't have to go throw the embarassment of asking.

Last edited by JayEll; 07-07-2007 at 09:50 PM.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Ugh. Flying! I hate it to begin with. when I weighed my highest ever (around 230) I thought the seats were SO tight. Even now (around 174) I still feel like the seats are so narrow that my thighs CANT HELP but touch the person next to me and that always makes me feel so .... awkward.

I would say definitely call the airline and ask what their policy is. That should make it much easier for you when you get to the airport!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens when I purchase my ticket(s) and consult with CS.
DMS42Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #10  
meow

S/C/G: toomuch/same/normal

Height: short

What airline are you flying on?
I know for a fact they can not ask you how much you weigh so you do not need to disclose that to anyone from the airline. Also, you do not have to tell anyone at check-in or even at the departure gate that you will be requesting a seat belt extension, you can just discreetly ask for one from the flight attendant as you are boarding. I work for the airlines and find it quite embarrassing that their own employee can't use the seatbelt without the extension but I also do think my specific airline has very short seatbelts because when I traveled with my skinny friends they even commented that the seat belts were short. Another option you have is to bring your own seat belt extension with you whenever you travel and you'll never have to ask for one again
crabbypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Regarding purchasing another ticket, i think it depends on the mood of the flight attendant. I had a really rude one once, she basically yelled over several rows at me, "with your size, are you going to need a seat belt extension?" I was 270 at the time and was mortified at her attitude towards me. She was rude to me the whole flight and by the way, i did not need an extension. But i think if i would have been much heavier she would have raised a stink about it. She kept walking by my row making sure to check that MY seat belt was buckled.

I have also noticed that some belts are tighter than others, depending on the plane size from what i have seen.

But you could ask for one when everyone is getting settled in if you need it.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I have no comments except to say that I never knew how RUDE flight attendants could really be! DAMN! What gives them the right to be such a-holes?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307/283/199

Height: 5'6"

I'm planning to fly soon, and have been wondering about this very issue.

According to the Southwest Airlines website (apparently one of the most stringent in enforcing the two seat purchase rule), the determining factor is whether or not the armrest between seats can be fully lowered.

I hope it's okay to post this link here -- it's a Customers of Size Q&A from the airline.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

My pick so far is Midwest Airlines, their average seat size is 23", compared to the 17" seats most major airlines use. Unfortunately Midwest has no direct flights to my destination, but a lay-over sounds better than embarassment and a two-seat purchase!
KCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Default Good information

This is a really good link (just above)--it answers all the questions and also indicates that unless a flight is sold out, the additional seat price may be refunded. Check it out.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-10-2007 at 02:22 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to use a seat belt extension sometimes. It really depends on the airline and the plane.

The seatbelt extension is the same item that they use during their security briefing before take off. As you are boarding the plane, you can ask for a seat belt extension or else you can ask for one after you sit down and see if the seat belt fits. Whenever I asked for one, the flight attendants were always courteous and discrete. I also never had to buy an extra seat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote