Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #1  

Default Newbie! Considering surgery. Help.

I am actually considering surgery. I am about 40-50 pounds overweight. I am 5'1" and weigh around 181. For someone as short as me, that is a lot. Not to mention that I look pregnant and people ask me on a consistent basis when my baby is due. I carry most of my weight in my upper abdomen however the rest of me is noticibly overweight too. I do not recognize myself. I am battling depression and on medication. I feel like I am stuck in a cycle. I am depressed because of my weight and my weight is causing my depression. I calculated my BMI and it is 34.2 and >30 is obese. Please help. I am a school teacher and I want to lose weight before school starts back but I also have a broken ankle which is keeping me from exercising. Any suggestions and definitely prayers would be most appreciated.
suzie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I understand that if you want WLS you must be morbibly obese, at least 100 pounds overweight.It would be best to talk to doctor about it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Hi Suzie!
Boy, can I relate. I am 5'1 and a half, and my starting weight was 178. OUr start weights are almost the same. I am now down to 159 and already feel way better.

You can soooo do this, and without surgery. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #4  
ariesmoon

S/C/G: 276/195/176

Height: 5 ft 8

Default Weight Loss/Broken Ankle

I understand! I also broke my ankle as well. How far into it are you? I understand your depression and weight gain....but here I am now 80 lbs lighter. Surgery will only cause you more pain.

Are you on myspace?
ariesmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #5  

Default Hi from Suzie

Hi, thank you for your quick replies. First of all, my ankle has been broken for a month and a half but I just had it confirmed at the doc 2 weeks ago and placed in a removable cast which I have taken off more than I should.

Also, yes I am on myspace.

I feel like I could be a fitness instructor/guru because I know EVERYTHING I need to do but I just can't seem to do it. I cannot seem to break through this depression (even on medication). Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-04-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #6  
ariesmoon

S/C/G: 276/195/176

Height: 5 ft 8

I will email you
ariesmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Depending on what type you likely will have trouble getting approved. Most of them need you too be 100 over and in some cases they will do it if you are 75 over if you have several co-morbidities (weight-related issues/illness) not sure if that applies for lap-band too though.

BTW I haven't had it done but researched it to death. Just trying to go it one more time by myself.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #8  
I'm gettin there

S/C/G: 231/190/155

Height: 5 foot 7

As a daughter of someone who had gastric bypass, I would not recommend looking at that for as an option. My mother had it about 4 yrs ago and hasn't been the same since. Yes it did save her because she was bad diabetic, had high blood pressure, high cholest. She took 15 to 20 pills a day. BUT... the mental and physical effects are the bad part. She gets sick alot when she eats, she has a very low immunity(she gets colds about once a month) and her mental state is the worst. My mother used to be the nicest person in the world now you have to be afraid to talk to her cuz she blows up about everything for no apparent reason.
I think having a good support group behind you would really help. I am willing to help you with any support you need. If you'd like to chat regularly send me a private mess and we'll keep in touch. I see your on myspace as I am too. Good luck and remember you always have someone here to talk to.
metalgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #9  

Thanks. I don't really want to do it. I read that I can do the lapband if I am >3.0 BMI and I am currently 3.4. I really am just so desperate right now. I am tired of my boobs hangin and my tummy and just not being me anymore. I feel like I am living in someone else's body.

Thanks for your support.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #10  

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your support. I am not sure how much I can give to anyone right now but who knows....
Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #11  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Suzie, I recommend you read rockinrobin's story. She's shorter than you are, weighed 100 lbs more and is now, less than a year later, totally healthy and happy. It can be done without surgery. Although WLS may seem like a quick fix, it's not. It's a life-altering decision that's not to be taken lightly. You have 40-50 lbs to lose, you can do it! It will take work, no question, but it's all worth it. Every single minute is worth it. I've lost almost 50 lbs since January and although I've had to alter most of my eating and exercising habits, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Unfortunately, there is no "magic pill", not even WLS. But, that doesn't mean there's not hope! You can absolutely lose the weight you need to. Keep coming here and never let yourself stay knocked down. Good luck!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey suzie313!

I can tell that you feel really big right now--and desperate. I'm so sorry!

You can succeed at this without surgery. Many, many of us here have had as much to lose as you do--and MORE--and made it through.

It's important that you get your ankle healed, so I hope you get better about wearing that brace. You know you need to do that! 'Nuff said.

I think you may already know what changes to make. If you are looking for a formal program, 3FC has reviews of many plans--you can find links on the main 3FC home page. And, you can look at the forums for individual programs and ask questions.

Set your start date for tomorrow and decide on one change that you can make, starting then. Perhaps it would be--getting rid of the junky snacks in the house and substituting healthy ones (such as baby carrots instead of chips). Or, changing from whole milk to 2% or 2% to 1%. Or using only 1/2 the sugar in your coffee or tea. Something manageable like that, just to change one thing. And then, after a week, add another one thing. That way you don't have to feel overwhelmed by changing everything.

Good luck! You can do it--you're not alone in this.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think I heard my name mentioned here somewhere.

Anyway, hi Suzie. Yup, I am a mere 5 feet tall. And have lost about 150 lbs. Without surgery. I'm not the only one around here who has lost a substantial amount of weight. There are many, many success stories floating around here. And you my dear, can certainly be one of them.

I think desparation and that feeling of hitting rock bottom can actually be used to your advantage. If you are so very miserable, then you really shouldn't mind making some changes. Because that's what it's all about. Switching unhealthy foods - for healthy ones. Incorporating healthy, lifetime eating habits. As well as adding in activity and exercise to your daily life. First you've got to work on getting that ankle healed, and heal it will. So hang in there and please feel better.

As far as food goes, think low fat proteins - such as chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna and other fish, low fat yogurt, skim or 1% milk, egg white omlettes. Vegetables should be a staple for you as well. Try experimenting and tasting different ones. Preparing them in a variety of ways. Steamed, roasted, in stir fries, cut up and eaten raw, salads. Fruit, the summer is loaded with great options. Berries are a great low cal/high fiber choice.

I was also amazed and thrilled to find out that once I elminated all that junk food, my cravings for it diminished almost entirely. It's now the healthy stuff that I crave and look forward to. My tastes have completely changed.

Weightloss is a doable thing. With a little work and a lot of determination and commitment anything and EVERYthing is possible. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hey Suzie - like the others said, you don't need surgery. You're not morbidly obese. Surgery is a huge step and is usually only for those who really have no other choice - like roliepolie's mother, with severe health problems caused by her weight. Are you an otherwise healthy person? There are people here who have lost over 100 pounds - rockinrobin, Meg, and I know there's more - you'll find them in the 100 lb club forum.

You can start out just by exercising for 30-45 minutes and tracking your calories with something like FitDay to become aware of what you're really eating - sometimes, it can be truly surprising to see how many calories you're actually consuming.

Good luck
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Please don't consider surgery. I know 40-50 pounds seems like a lot to you right now, but read around on the board and look at the pictures of people who've lost much more than that, and know that you can do this. Robin's story has given so much inspiration -- she totally changed her life in less than a year. I know how hard it is to be on the other side -- to look at all that weight you have to lose and worry about whether you can really do it. But trust me -- if I can lose over 100 pounds in less than a year, you can drop that 40-50 pounds, no problem.

I broke my ankle a few years ago, and now I can run 10 miles without stopping! Obviously you wouldn't want to try something like that right away! But I just wanted to tell you that your ankle WILL heal, and you'll be able to work out and do all the things that will help you to lose weight and get fit. It will just take a little time, but you can work on the food part now with all the great suggestions people have already posted above!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote