Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlu View Post
I am talking only about myself here.
If I were heavier I could lose weight on a comfortable amount of calories and I would have some wiggle room to drop the calories lower as my weight decreased. I would probably lose two or more pounds a week, which would be incentive to keep going.

Eventually I know I would reach the point I'm at now, but by then my new eating habits would be firmly established and it wouldn't be hard to cut the calories just a little more.
But you see, you're not only talking about yourself. When you say it would be easier at a heavier weight, at a "comfortable" amount of calories, there's the assumption that heavier people have it easier because they can eat more. Well, usually they're heavier because they HAVE been eating more, so dropping those calories is not "comfortable" and cutting them a little more as you drop weight is NOT easy (I speak from experience). It's not that I'm offended by your statements -- I just wish you understood a little better the experience of people who have a lot more weight to lose. If so, you would probably be counting your blessings instead of wondering how you could have it better. I know your situation has nothing to do with me, but think about this: I'm within 10 pounds or so of my original goal, but it took me nearly a year to get here and I have lots of loose skin hanging on my body. I've run a kazillion miles, I've cut calories like a madwoman, and I've had to recommit every single day. Was it easy? Of course not. Would my life have been better if I never had to see a size 22 and could ALWAYS shop in regular stores instead of just in the last few months? Well, obviously.

I hope I haven't offended you, but I guess there's a part of me that wants you to see how lucky you are in some ways, because then maybe you'll be a bit more positive about the whole situation and you'll be able to find the success you're looking for.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #32  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Eventually I know I would reach the point I'm at now, but by then my new eating habits would be firmly established and it wouldn't be hard to cut the calories just a little more.

Now however, and again I'm talking only about myself here, I have to immediately drop the calories to what I perceive to be an uncomfortable hungry level and if I am lucky I might lose half a pound to one pound a week.
But if you're currently maintaining your current weight with your current calorie level, why do you feel the need to "immediately drop the calories to what I perceive to be an uncomfortable hungry level" so drastically? If you're currently maintaining, then cutting even a little will result in some weight loss. It may only be 1/2 pound a week or so, but lasting weight loss is a slow and gradual process

You said you have primarily good eating habits already, so having started bigger and dieted down to your current position so that your "new eating habits would be firmly established and it wouldn't be hard to cut the calories just a little more" really doesn't make any sense. Cutting your calories "just a little more" may be all you need to do right NOW in your current situation.

That 1630 calorie limit is only an estimate--you may be able to lose just fine at 1800-1900 given the active nature of your job. The only way to know is to TRY.

So try it for a couple of weeks and let us know how it works
Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #33  
it's always something

It's all trial and error. I agree with the others - make gradual changes and watch your progress and how you feel as you go. If you currently eat 2100 calories per day, and don't feel comfortable dropping down to 1650, then just drop to 2000 on weekdays. That's 500 calories gone. It's not going to make a big dent, and you won't see much difference right away, but your weight will gradually drop. Not fast enough? Drop to 1900. Do you still feel energetic enough to get through your day? If so, try trimming a few more calories. If you reach a point where you feel like you've gone too far, then go back up a notch or two to where you last felt best. Unfortunately, there isn't a formula that works best for everone. Most of us have to tinker a while to find what works best for our unique bodies

Please keep us updated on your trials and progress!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #34  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It seems to me that your more having a hard time estimating how much you burn. I agree with the others that because you do it so often/regularly you probably burn less then you guess. Also, that 1600 estimate you got is likely without any EXTRA exercise included besides your busy work day so if you say hike one day you might get to add in an extra 300 that day.

There is a device I've been looking into that is supposed to be able to help you balance out your burned calories with food intake but it's hella expensive and only 92 percent accurate, but you might want to look into it here: http://www.bodybugg.com/

Yes you probably shouldn't lose more then a pound a week at your weight. I know thats frustrating, but trust be what we have to deal with trying to lose large ammounts of weight you don't want to deal with. On top of that thank your lucky stars you didn't just lose a ton of weight because there are studies that say that formerly obese people have a lower metabolic rate then their never-fat counterparts despite attempts to raise it with weight training etc.

Since your having trouble cutting back I'd attempt for a small loss at first and see if you can deal with the calorie deficit. -250 calories a day will lose you 1/2lb a week. Also try eatting things with higher volume per calorie level... that book... what is it volumetircs? Might help you.

The usual responses to feeling fuller on less: Eat more fiber, slightly more protein, make sure your not too low on healthy fats, and cut out things that cause you to crave (which is sound like you don't eat a lot of remeber it's as simple as 250 excess calories a day)

Erm, hope that helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #35  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I'm going to try 1800 calories and see how that goes.
Sounds like a good plan. Everyone's calorie needs are different, and sometimes those online calculators don't reflect what we actually need. For example, I frequently eat in the 1600-1700 calorie range, and I work an office job (though I exercise during my lunch hours), and I still lose ~1.5 lb a week. The calorie calculators are telling me that I'd be losing much more slowly in this range.

Another option is to zigzag your calories a bit; I find that zigzagging gives me more energy than just keeping my calories at one level. It will all be about what works for your body.

As for not having access to a microwave or fridge, I know how that goes; my old job was like that. I used to bring tupperware containers of veggies / salad & an ice pack to keep them cool throughout the day. Quick, easy, low-calorie and delicious.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #36  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey folks! Hi, marlu--I've been out of town.

Basically, you asked what we thought, lots of people have responded, and you've decided what to do. All done! This is great! Let us know how the 1800 cals works. I'm going to close this thread now--start a new one when you're ready.

Jay
Closed Thread