Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just some additional information--3 times a week for exercise is the minimum for maintenance. I was told by a trainer at the YMCA that 4 or 5 times a week is the minimum necessary to support weight loss.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #17  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Just some additional information--3 times a week for exercise is the minimum for maintenance. I was told by a trainer at the YMCA that 4 or 5 times a week is the minimum necessary to support weight loss.

Jay
Trainers say a lot of things that aren't really accurate for people in all situations. For example, I can maintain my weight just fine with NO exercise, so adding in just 30 minutes 3 times a week will help me to LOSE weight, not maintain, since it would be an increase from the NOTHING I do now In fact, I can LOSE weight without ANY exercise at all just by eating the right mount of calories (I'm not saying this is the best way to lose weight, just that it is possible--but exercise is important for a LOT of reasons other than just moving the number on the scale down). It all depends on where you're starting as to how much you should do. Any exercise is better than none, and whatever you're comfortable doing is fine, even if it's just 5-10 minutes at a time instead of 30-90. The key is just to increase the time and/or intensity as your level of fitness increases
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #18  

Height: 5'8.5"

Just my opinion... but your calories are way too low and that is not a healthful balance of food. My suggestion would be to develop a healthful plan... NOT extreme... and stick with it. You need some veggies and protein in there especially.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

So, Jilly, I guess I missed your point.

I would drop dead if I tried to exercise for 90 minutes, so that's not an issue!

As Jilly said, any activity is better than none--the point my trainer was trying to make is that more is better than less for weight loss. A walk every day for 20 minutes would do just fine. Start slow or only a few days a week, and work up.

Remember, it's "activity," not "exercise." I think some folks hear the word "exercise" and try to go out and run, or set the cross-trainer on high. That's not necessary and could be harmful if one has a sedentary history.

Cheers!
Jay
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #20  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
So, Jilly, I guess I missed your point.
My point was just that there is no set "minimum" for maintenance--it all depends on your beginning level of fitness and activity, so it is highly individual for everyone. For some, 3 times a week maybe not be enough for weight loss, but for some, it may be plenty
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

I think the trainer was referring to the fact that the National Weight Control Registry found that people who were successful maintainers of weight loss exercise on average much more than the 3 times a week minimum. Successful maintainers of weight loss exercise on average 1 hour a day. That doesn't mean no one can lose or maintain weight loss on less than that! Just that most people who want to lose weight should shoot for what seems to have worked for most people - which is much more exercise than the minimum for health.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #22  
Feeling better every day.

S/C/G: SW: 230 CW: 200 GW: 160ish

Height: 5'5"

My fiance keeps telling me I don't need to exercise everyday, but I know me and the first day I skip it will be last day I do it lol. So I make sure I do atleast 30 min a day. I'm going to try to start going a little longer since I'm not losing any more weight at this point. I don't know, I might not be getting enough calories now, and my body might be in shock.
Piiper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Piiper33, let us know how much you are eating in a typical day and we can help you figure out whether it's too much or too little.

Jay
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #24  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi Amanda, and welcome! You've come to the right place for support and advice...I find it an invaluable tool in my weight loss efforts.

I agree 100% with everything everyone else said. And I've found that I can only allow myself to weigh once a week, to do more gets depressing if I've gained weight for a day. When I started out, I weighed about what you weighed (234 lbs for me). I reduced my calorie consumption to between 1700-2000 cals a day and I have been able to lose about 1.5-2 lbs a week...a total of almost 10 lbs since May 9th. And I haven't exercised at all...I need to start, though. I'm extremely happy about that and the fact that I've been able to keep the weight off this time and not give up. Some of the things that have helped me so far: using Fitday to keep a food diary (www.fitday.com, which is free or you can buy the software, which is what I use), I visit this board at least once a day, I drink enough water now and I eat a variety of foods that fit in to the 1700-2000 cal range. I would go crazy eating as little as you have been eating.

Don't give up, just tweak your program a little, you can do it!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #25  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the good advice girls . I'v upped my calories to about 1600 - 1800 per day and added in more variety. Im going to try doing some swimming every second day for 30 minutes and then check back in with you all when I way in to keep you updated
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #26  

Hmm well lets see, yesterday I ate:
Breakfast: 1 bag of Quaker Oats Oatmeal & Large D & D Iced Coffee
Lunch: small Lean Cuisine Sweet and Sour Chicken and Jello
Dinner: large Lean Cuisine Portabello Chicken and pasta
Snack: Italian Ice and popcorn.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #27  

Wow that really doesnt' look like much lmao
Old 06-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #28  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piiper33 View Post
Hmm well lets see, yesterday I ate:
Breakfast: 1 bag of Quaker Oats Oatmeal & Large D & D Iced Coffee
Lunch: small Lean Cuisine Sweet and Sour Chicken and Jello
Dinner: large Lean Cuisine Portabello Chicken and pasta
Snack: Italian Ice and popcorn.
Do you have a calorie count for that because that does not look like a lot?

I am guessing here but that looks like 800-1000 for one day.

I think shooting for 1200 or slightly higher a day may be better.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #29  

The Oatmeal is 130 calories, the Iced coffee I have no idea, small Lean Cuisine runs about 260 calories, jello around 10, Lg Lean Cuisine is about 360 i think, Italian Ice 130, and Popcorn I think is around 230. Thats guessing but about right.
So total = 1120
Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #30  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piiper33 View Post
The Oatmeal is 130 calories, the Iced coffee I have no idea, small Lean Cuisine runs about 260 calories, jello around 10, Lg Lean Cuisine is about 360 i think, Italian Ice 130, and Popcorn I think is around 230. Thats guessing but about right.
So total = 1120
What about adding a small healthy snack between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner?
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote